United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
Grand Rapids Area Boardgamers
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The manual states that in the case of a tie for most of a food, both players can score +5 if this is a favorite for them, and if there is a tie for second most of a food, both players can score +3 if it is a favorite. Clear enough.

Our question was: if there is a tie for most of a food, then can the player with the next most of that food score +3 for it?

Alice: 5 bananas (favorite)
Bob: 5 bananas
Charlie: 4 bananas (favorite)

Charlie has the second most relative to the tie, but has the third most if Alice and Bob both count in this situation. We played that the tie for first means that there is no second place, and Charlie should get no bonus, but a clarification would be nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Hansen
United States
Menomonee Falls
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
2/68th Armor: Silver Lions!
mbmbmbmb
That is a good question! This came up in the last game I played with my parents. There was a tie between a person who had it as a favorite and one that did not, so we ended up scoring that person with 5 and the person who had it as a favorite and did not tie got nothing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JonBob wrote:
Charlie has the second most relative to the tie, but has the third most if Alice and Bob both count in this situation.
I also had a variation of this come up recently and I pondered the rules a bit. Given that all players get the full 1st or 2nd place points (rather than splitting some combination in the manner of Alhambra, for instance), I concluded that the count of goods was the important element, not the number of players achieving it.

Thus Charlie would still get 3 points for the second best count.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Etherton
United States
Carlsbad
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ties are supposed to be friendly in this game. This also simplifies the scoring.

1. All players with X as a favorite that have the most of X get +5 points.

2. All players with X as a favorite that have the second-most of X get +3 points.

Whether there is one person for the most or second-most, or multiple people is not important.

So in the original question, A gets +5, B gets nothing (not a favorite), and C gets +3.

-Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Phipps
United States
Canal Winchester
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
I played this for the first time today and I'm not 100% sure of the favorites scoring. For one goods type, do we consider the totals for all players?

For example, using spice as the favorite item, game ends with:
Bob has 5 spice
Tom has 4 spice (and spice favorite)
Amy has 3 spice (and spice favorite)

With Bob having the most spice, would Tom receive the 3pt bonus and Amy 0pts? Or do we only consider Tom and Amy (since Bob does not have the favorite for spice) where Tom would get the 5pt bonus and Amy would get 3pts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bphipps wrote:
I played this for the first time today and I'm not 100% sure of the favorites scoring. For one goods type, do we consider the totals for all players?

For example, using spice as the favorite item, game ends with:
Bob has 5 spice
Tom has 4 spice (and spice favorite)
Amy has 3 spice (and spice favorite)

With Bob having the most spice, would Tom receive the 3pt bonus and Amy 0pts? Or do we only consider Tom and Amy (since Bob does not have the favorite for spice) where Tom would get the 5pt bonus and Amy would get 3pts?

Here is a quote from the rules

Favorites Bonus: You get bonus points if you collected the most of the goods shown on your Favorite Foods tile compared to other players. You receive 5 points if you have the most (or are tied for the most) and 3 points if you have the second most (or are tied). you can earn a Favorites Bonus for each of the goods on your Favorite Foods tile.

Note that portion I highlighted does NOT say "compared to other players with that same Favorite". So compare the scores among all players.

In your example, Bob has the most Spice and scores nothing for it. Tom and Amy score 3 and 0 respectively, just as you first suggested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.