Popular Tags: [View All]
Jack Merridew
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
backstory

-my friend recently had a babay so we haven't been able to play in a while so we were a bit rusty, and made many play mistakes accordingly, such as not giving cover 1 to units in the forest and misplaying the movement and attacks when a unit movesinto forest hexs but anyway we played through it

Round 1
- i have no interest in the southern army of the Starks with a whole lot of red units and kennelmasters so i just dip and run away from the get going, moving my 3 calvary units up towards the treeline and Catelyn Stark, he attempts to follow but with red units moving so slowly i can leave behind a pikeman and some heavy infantry to pretty much cut off his Southern Army for the rest of the game, his wierd archer token units do nothing and he moves the Karstark up towards my units in the trees, while i position a Calvary unit to the western flank and leave him be

Round 2
- His Archer Units do nothing again and im confused why they even put them in the scenerio, But he starts bringing the pain to my pikeman and I bring up Jamie and Kevan to back my boys up in the treeline and i sue all 3 tokens on one of Jamies command cards which really hurts because i basically used all my commands on that front for the rest of the turn, should have planned better. He starts nipping at my heels and i take some losses i dont care about on the southern flank with his slow as molases infantry. he also kills all of jamies unit except the Kingslayer himself which leaves me open and worried, he has not moved any forces to guard Cat so i dont move any to try and snag her as not wanting to spook him. we trade forces and i think he eliminates a unit in the south of mine and the round ends

Round 3
- His useless archers accomplished nothing again and my command tokens were straight garbage, with 2 morales a red and a blue, but we continued this war dance and its getting pretty brutal , not a lot of troop movement just more bloodshed on the treeline and units going down, but he brings Robb Stark into the b attle going after Jamie and this gives me an opeing for Cat, i zoom in and sng Cat with a Lannisport Lancer and he cant finish the kill on jamie i think the round ends with me having killed 3 of his units and hes killed 4 of mine, Jamies rally ability really saved my ass this round rallying both him and Kevan a rider and a pikeman

Round 4
- Well i'll be God Damned his tree archers get 2 hits, and he starts feeling the pressure to destroy jamie but i surprise him and use kevans ability on jamie and have him attck the blue War Host next to him with 6 die and eliminate it, he attacks some useless pikeman with the greatjon and elimates them but Jamie still stands and Marband flanks some unsuspecting Winterfell Riders from behind and defeats them for the Win.

thoughts
- Jamies Card ability might be one of my favorites in the game bveing able to rally without a token is incredibly helpful

- Cover 1 would have drastically changed this game and its a shame we played incorrectly

- Red units at the edge of the map mights as well be chained down like the Giants on the Umbers Sigil

- Cant believe he didnt spend more units protecting Cat, but i was pressuring him pretty heavy on the river and i can understand him thinking he would see a play for her coming with enough time to react

- I Hate Robb Stark

- tree archer units might have been helpful if i had any green units but it was moslty a sea of Red and Blue

- I like instant win conditions in the scenerios gives the game a more dangerous feel because your never sure if your opponent is going to go for a gambit to try and end the game

- i have a tendancy to use my calvary units more than anything else and in this game it paid off, moving the 3 lower ones away from the southern portion of the map definitly gave me an advantage up north and overwhelmed some of his forces with Flank attacks

- My misuse of command cards almost cost me the game

- 2and favorite scenerio outside of the Battle of the Green Fork

- ive been painting the figures and its pretty amazing how much more we enjoy the game with painted guys who reflect the house colors, still not good enough to attempt the commanders but the Pikeman, the Lancers, the War Host and the Riders came out really well. Both archers annoy me and i have no idea how to paint them to not look like trash

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Dreske
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for sharing the report!
As for cover, forest dont grant cover to units, just buildings do, and Rickard Karstark has it on his card, so you did not play that wrong. Unless by "cover" you meant the restriction to two attack dice before modifiers forests cause, in that case it might have changed the battle quite a bit.

The tree archers might be there mostly because of the flavor, its a battle described in the books, after all.

For painting the archers, you could have a look at the many pictures uploaded for this game to get some inspiration!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Merridew
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahhh well i told you we were rusty, yea so we didnt limit attacks in forest hexs, and yea that would have changed the game significantly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.