Subject: Begging for corn rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pirata Malo
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi there,

When begging for corn, is it a compulsary action to place workers or may I beg for corn and choose picking them up?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Smith
United Kingdom
Pimlico
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can place or pickup. You are only forced to beg and place if you have no workers on the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
manolo mr
Spain
Sevilla
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it is only for placing workers, not for picking them up, but I am not sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian McCarty
United States
La Crescent
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I read it that if you have 0, 1 or 2 corn, you can beg for corn and get to 3 corn. As stated above you only HAVE to beg if you have to place and can't afford it.

Is it possible that all open spaces on the gears cost more than 3 corn?

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Morland
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There can at most be 18 workers on the board, if each of your 3 opponents has all their workers down. If we assume they are all in the cheapest slots then they occupy the 1st players space, the 5 zero cost spaces, the 5 one cost spaces, the 5 two cost spaces and then 2 of the 3 cost spaces.

Thus the worst situation you could be in is only having a choice of 3 three cost spaces so if you've begged for corn then you will always be able to place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alberto Barbati
Italy
Milano
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sevilla wrote:
I think it is only for placing workers, not for picking them up, but I am not sure.

As correctly reported by the other posters, there is a case in which you must beg for corn. However, you can always beg for corn, if you wish, regardless of the fact that you are going to place workers or pick them up, the only condition being that you have less than three corns at the start of your turn. That said, you usually never need to beg when picking up workers. The only exception that comes to my mind is if you are on a food day and you desperately need some extra corn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian McCarty
United States
La Crescent
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I suppose you might want to beg for corn in order to take a lower spot on a wheel (maybe some other player did a double move and you passed the spot you wanted to take)

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Churchill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambs
flag msg tools
designer
"If we knew what we were building, it wouldn't be called research!"
badge
Sufficiently advanced mathematics is indistinguishable from magic
mbmbmbmbmb
There's also if you're lined up to use U5 or U2 and had to spend more corn than you expected when placing last round.

And there's another manoeuvre I've seen my friend use, which seems very sneaky:

Round N: Spend all his corn placing a ton of workers on lots of places.
Round N+1: Beg for corn, then pick up workers including gathering a lot of corn.
Round N+2: Spend all his corn again placing lots of workers...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Collins
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
alextfish wrote:

Round N: Spend all his corn placing a ton of workers on lots of places.
Round N+1: Beg for corn, then pick up workers including gathering a lot of corn.
Round N+2: Spend all his corn again placing lots of workers...

Cunning - using the opportunity to get 3 more corn than he otherwise would have done!

I'm still new to the game, but I've assumed that begging for corn is intended to be a punitive action - that the cost of it is almost always more than the value of the corn you get in return. But maybe I've been mistaken, and it's simply like sacrificing 10 VP in Stone Age if you haven't gathered enough food for your people: a balanced option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Churchill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambs
flag msg tools
designer
"If we knew what we were building, it wouldn't be called research!"
badge
Sufficiently advanced mathematics is indistinguishable from magic
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen someone (that same friend, in fact) win on around 80VP having begged 2-3 times throughout the game. So I'd say it's an option worth considering when you're on 0. Not always right by any means, but worth considering. (It'll very rarely be the right thing to do on 1 or 2.)

One way to look at it is: Begging for corn is taking the inverse of Uxmal 1. So if you're playing a strategy where you plan on taking Uxmal 1, begging would be counterproductive. If your current strategy would find Uxmal 1 a bit too overpriced, then maybe you should consider begging.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marge ajeto
Croatia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
begging for corn is very powerful option, if you can use it wisely..
if i understood the rules, you may use it at the start of every your turn if you want; you just return all the corn that you already have and take three new corn from the bank..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Collins
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
marge2 wrote:
begging for corn is very powerful option, if you can use it wisely..
if i understood the rules, you may use it at the start of every your turn if you want; you just return all the corn that you already have and take three new corn from the bank..

Yes, that's the rule. So if you have 0, 1 or 2 corn at the start of your turn, it's a way to get extra corn, at the cost of one step backwards on a temple.

I managed to make decent use of this on Sunday - I had one corn at the start of the turn, and needed 2 to play onto Pal-2. I begged for corn so that I could afford to do it. The next turn, I was able to get a load of corn back from removing that worker from Pal-3 (with tech track help), and I was then able to use that corn to fund several moves on Ux-5 over the next few turns. That one step backward on a temple allowed me to fund several steps forwards

FTR, this was my second full game, although we've had some truncated learning games, and I came second, with the final scores being 50-47-44. It was the first time I've done anything other than trail behind in last place, so clearly I'm learning something...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Moritz
United States
Shawnee
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What if a player is at the bottom of all three temples? Can she then beg for corn without any punishment? The rulebook doesn’t clarify.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd McCorkle
United States
Anderson
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/87204/2nd-edition-eng...

Pg 11. Top of Page

Angering the Gods.

Burn the Forest (last sentence)
If you are already at the bottom step of every temple, you cannot burn the forest.

Beg for Corn (last sentence)
If you are already at the bottom step of every temple, you cannot beg for corn.

Rare Special Case:
At the beginning of your turn, if you have no workers on the gears, then you must place workers. And if you do not have enough corn to place a worker, then you must beg for corn. But if you are already at the bottom step of every temple, then you cannot beg for corn. Do not worry. In this situation, the gods will take pity on you and allow you to place exactly 1 worker. You place the worker on an action space with the lowest possible cost and give all your corn to the bank.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.