6 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: looking for a mecha game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
kevin cowie
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
hey iv been browsing the net for a few weeks in search for a certain type of table top and havnt came out as well as i hoped.

im looking for a mecha game that u only use 1-5 models say and play a detailed table top game with them , im not looking for a game that uses large armies that u can if u choose play with only a few models , im looking for a game that is made for only a few models if u catch my drift.

i was looking in to heavy gear arena but cant reli find out that much info about it in terms of unit amounts and battle complexity , the main heavy gear looks much like many table top battle games that use lots of various models but is alot more focused around mecha combat but im just not sure on the way it plays and if you need a decent amount of army to have a good game ( again a game that uses lots of figures but u dont get the full thing if u only use a few ) but i may be wrong im just looking for some info to back it with some one thats actuly played it .

thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out Vincent Baker's Mechaton (think it was renamed Mobile Frame Zero?). It's a smaller number of Mecha on the table and the Mechs/terrain are built out of Legos. You actually break pieces of your Mechs off as you are damaged. It's brilliant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim M-L
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Armor Grid: Mech Attack! is worth looking into. It happens to come with paper mechs you can print out and play with, but I use regular models.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Tak
United States
Chapin
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe what you want is the Battletech Introductory Box Set

You get the detail-oriented combat, small (or large if you want it) model count, and best part is everything you *need* is right therein that introductory box, and it's a helluva good buy.

Heavy Gear Arena I have no idea of, sorry. I'm going to take a wild partisan stab and say Battletech is the granddaddy of all mech-fighting tabletops and would beat the pants off of it anyway. (note: I'm not actually aware if that's true or not, but I'm going to be all radical and edgy and modern-newcastery and say it anyway)

Cheers, sir, and happy gaming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David P
msg tools
mb
This is a +1 for the Battletech set above me. The box comes with plenty of minis, terrain, rules, etc. I am not a huge Battletech guy but if you want a small scale mech game it is a good one. If your group embraces the power of the proxy* you'll never need to buy another mini for it again unless you decide to do mega-huge battles.

*proxy: using one mech miniature to represent another. This keeps you from having to buy dozens of different minis, just make sure you and your opponent understand which mini is which and if you like the game then support them by buying the correct model (once you've proxied it a few times).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Abaddon is at the scale you're looking for, but it may be too light weight for you. Fun to play and nice looking mechs though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.