Jason Emme
United States
Reno
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm new to CE, as I just bought it this week. I'm very excited to try it as it seems to be a great game.

My issue is that you need three players and I'm not sure when or how often I will be able to play with more.

I noticed that this expansion adds team play to the game. I don't know what this involves, but do you think it would be possible to now play this two-player using these team rules? Maybe one player would play as two aliens/colors, teaming them together against the other person's two aliens/colors. Of course each person would have to keep the each faction's cards etc. separated.

I'm sure that I will eventually have more opportunities in the future to play this with more people, but I could get a lot more plays of this in right now with my wife if this two-player "team" scenario is possible.

Edit: if people do think this would work, I will need toorder this expansion ASAP!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Nors Jensen
Denmark
Kokkedal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, but no.

Team rules are designed for groups with many players. Groups are formed for each two players, there are still supposed to be many groups. This expansion is the opposite of what you are lokking for
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Team Cosmic is meant to make very large games more workable. The Holy Grail of true 2-player Cosmic has never been found.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
Cosmic Encounter is a game about negotiations, alliances, and treachery.

I would say that those sorts of things are inherently incapable of being done satisfactorily in a 2-player game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Franco
United States
Maplewood
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
If you could touch the alien sand and hear the cries of strange birds and watch them wheel in another sky, would that satisfy you?
mbmbmbmbmb
Frankly, I won't even play it with less than five.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Emme
United States
Reno
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, this is disappointing to hear but I understand what you all are saying. It would probably be impossible to recreate the CE experience with only two players. I'll just have to hold out hope of finding more people willing to try the game. Thanks for all of your responses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.