Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lars Vogt

Berlin
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just uploaded a pdf file with the translated Influence level I cards. I don't know how much time I will have during the upcoming weeks to continue translating the remaining game materials, but I will do my best!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Vogt

Berlin
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also uploaded a pdf with the translated level II Influence Cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Vogt

Berlin
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just have uploaded the Level III Influence Cards. So, now all Influence cards are translated into English. Next I will try to translate the
Technology cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Vogt

Berlin
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just uploaded the PDF with the English translation of the Technology Level I Cards. The other 3 files are still pending approval...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Vogt

Berlin
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
...and so is the PDF for the translated Technology Level II Cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Vogt

Berlin
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Translation of the Technology Cards completed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Vogt

Berlin
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PDF with the translated Epoch I Cards is uploaded and awaits its approval.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse McGatha
United States
Sammamish
Washington
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I found all these and reviewed/approved them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Vogt

Berlin
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, thank you Jester!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Vogt

Berlin
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just uploaded the Epoch II Cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Vogt

Berlin
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
... and the Epoch III cards as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Vogt

Berlin
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Epoch Changing Ages Cards are uploaded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Vogt

Berlin
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Politics Cards are uploaded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Vogt

Berlin
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
...and the Luxury Good Cards as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Vogt

Berlin
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Reference Sheet uploaded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse McGatha
United States
Sammamish
Washington
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All approved and linked up. Only the rules remain!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Vogt

Berlin
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I continue with the translation of the rules - paragraph by paragraph. It would be cool if you could check for language and general "readability" and give me feedback!

Here is the Setup Chapter:

GAME PREPARATION, SETUP AND STARTING POSITIONS
In the base game, the map tiles are arranged so that the players do not have to fear scarcity of resources. This should lead to a less aggressive game, in which the focus is on the building aspect of Election of the King.

The distribution of map tiles is shown in the figures.

In the Basic Game, the following game components are NOT used: The epoch cards, politics cards, armament chart, and the family markers from all players.

Players agree on an initial play order by placing large wooden cubes of respective player colors into the „play order“ box of the ranks board. Further large wooden cubes are placed on the shaded areas of the ranks board: one cube for each player on the cells labeled „1“ for the scales Piety, Education, Satisfaction, and Prestige, as well as on the „Bondsman“ cell of the ranks flow chart. The three orange wooden cubes are used for the timeline: one large cube on the cell „Summer & Autumn (A-C)“, another one on the cell „Epoch I 1000-1199“, and the small cube on the cell „00“ to the right.

The High Office cards are placed in the vicinity of the ranks flow chart. First, however, the cards „Chancellor - Player with the most offspring in generation 1 during (E)“ and „Counselor“ are removed from the stack, because they are not used in the Basic Game.

[figures for 2 player, 3 player, and 4 player setup]

All influence cards referring to diplomacy actions are sorted out, because they are not being used in the Basic Game. The remainig influence cards are sorted by levels I, II and III, shuffled and placed as three separate face down stacks easily accessible for all players next to the board.
In the Basic Game, the technology level I card „Graphite Pencil„ and the level II card „Foundation of a School of Law„ are sorted out.Then, the technology cards are also sorted by levels I, II and III, but do not have to be shuffled. They are placed next to the board, easily accessible for all players.
The Action Board is placed where it is easily accessible to all players. Players place one octagonal wooden markers in their player color on each bottom row action box for the actions 2-6 (action 1 „Diplomacy & Intrigue“ is ignored in the Basic Game). These markers indicate that in the beginning of the game the players can only perform actions in their weakest status/level „1“. Furthermore, 5 small wooden cubes (i.e. units) in player color are placed for each player in the appropriate small boxes at the top of the actions 2-6.
The Basic and Special Luxury Good Cards are shuffled seperately from each other and placed face down to the side.The remaining general game material (Siege and both types of Unrest Markers, Silver and Gold coins) is sorted and placed in close proximity.
Players place their Dynasty Board and Settlement Board in front of them and take the game material in their color, i.e. the remaining wooden markers, buildings, cultivation markers, and action cards. The family markers are not used in the Basic Game. On his/her Dynasty Board, each player places 16 small wooden cubes in player color, i.e. units, on the Units Chart in a way that each cell of the chart is covered by one cube. A large wooden cube is placed on the shaded cell „1“ of the Population Chart.
Each player starts with 4 Silver coins and a „Farm“ town center tile. In play order starting with the first player, each player places his/her „Farm“ on one of the map tiles of their color (i.e. border color). Again in play order, each player then takes a unit (i.e. small wooden cube) from the top left cell of the Units Chart and places it on a map tile directly adjacent to their „Farm“. This map tile must not contain a City. This will be repeated in opposite play order with another unit. This unit must be placed according to the same rules, but can be placed into a map tile adjacent to the map tile that contains the previously placed unit of this player.
The Supply Table is placed on the table. Players each mark their wood and food supply by placing a large wooden cube in their player color on the respective charts. At the start of the game each player only has the food and wood produced on their „Farm“ tile. Therefore, the cubes are placed on the cell „1“ of the wood chart and the cell „2“ of the food chart.

We finally made it: Setup is completed and the Game may begin!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Vogt

Berlin
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OVERVIEW OF A GAME ROUND

[in a red Box the summary:
1) SUMMER & AUTUMN MOVES
A) ACTION PHASE - 5 ACTIONS
B) NOT IN BASIC GAME (POLITICS PHASE)
C) RISE IN RANK

2) WINTER & SPRING MOVES
D) ACTION PHASE - 5 ACTIONS
E) I) STATUS CHANGES
II) TITHE, TAXES, WAGES,
POPULATION GROWTH
III) HIGH OFFICES

3) MOVE EPOCH & YEAR MARKER
POTENTIALLY: ELECTION OF THE KING
end of red Box]

The Election of the King is played over a series of rounds. A round covers a time period of 50 years. Each round consists of 3 sequences of turns.
The first two sequences of turns both begin with an Action Phase (A) & (D). In the Action Phase a player carries out the actions he/she has previously planned, and actively engage in game play. At the beginning of the Action Phase, each player must plan 5 actions in advance and play the respective Action Cards face down in the correct sequence in front of them. Then, each player simultaneously reveals the first card and executes it in play order. Then the second card, etc. The Action Phases represent the Core of the game play of The Election of the King, in which the players execute a variety of their actions:
With the Influence Action (2), a player can change Play Order or by drawing Influence Cards gain influence.
With the Income & Trade Action (3), a player can increase his ready cash or establish trade relations and utilize them.
With the Building Action (4), a player can build Building on the Settlement Board or Cultivation Markers on Map Tiles.
With the Development Action (5), a player can improve the technical and cultural developmental status in his/her Realm.
With the Organization & Expansion Action (6), a player can organize the division of labor of his/her Units. Alternatively, by moving Units into a neutral Map Tile or a Map Tile occupied by Units of another player, a player can attempt to expand his/her Realm. Moving Units can also be used for defeating unrests.
With the Upgrade Action (7), a player can upgrade one of his/her Action Stati/Level on the Action Board, insofar as he/she meets the respective conditions.
In the Basic Game, the Politics Phase (B) is ignored!
In the Rise in Rank Phase (C), players can rise on the Ranks Flow Chart by one rank.
Phase (E) is divided into 3 stages (I-III). In the first stage (I), any status changes on the various scales of the Ranks Board are updated (e.g., if a Map Tile in a player‘s realm contains an Unrest Marker, the level of Satisfaction on the Ranks Board is decreased by 2 for this player). In the second stage (II), first the rank-specific duties must be payed, then the deployed units rewarded, and finally the population supplied with food and wood. If possible, the population of a player can also grow during this second stage. In the third stage (III), each player can take one or more High Offices, if he/she is qualified (i.e. have a certain Rank) and meets the office-specific conditions.
At the end of each round, the Years Marker and sometimes also the Epoch Marker are moved one step forward.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Vogt

Berlin
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A GAME ROUND IN DETAIL

1) SUMMER & AUTUMN MOVES

A) ACTION PHASE - 5 ACTIONS

The two Action Phases of a round (A & D) represent the most important phases in The Election of the King, in which players can best take influence on the ongoing game.
At the beginning of on Action Phase, players must plan their 5 Actions in advance. For this, the players select 5 Action Cards from their own stack of action cards and place them in left-to-right order face down in front of them, as they want them to be executed. This requires precise planning of what actions should be done in what order, so that the player will possess the resources and finances that he/she will need in the following Phases of the round.
Each stack of Action Cards contains three cards for each type of action, with the only exception of the Action Corvee/Court Services/Counseling (0), for which there is only one card, and the Action Development (5), for which there are two cards.
The first Action Card is revealed simultaneously for each player. Usually, players can execute each action simultaneously. In cases, in which it is necessary to know who goes first and last, the following rule applies:

Actions are played following the order indicated by its number - small numbers before large numbers. In case two or more players revealed the same action, their order of play is defined by the Play Order on the Ranks Board.

After the actions of the first card have been carried out, the same procedure is repeated for the other four Action Cards. Once all players have completed their five actions, the players place the played Action Cards back into their stack of Action Cards.

A detailed description and explanation of the different types of actions is given further below in the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Vogt

Berlin
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
C) RISE IN RANK

During the Rise in Rank Phase, each player can improve his/her rank by exactly 1 Level. The conditions for the next higher rank are defined on the Ranks Flow Chart of the Ranks Board.
For improving in secular rank, it is usually important to be good in Prestige, for improving in ecclesial rank usually Piety.

[Figure showing a detail from the Ranks Flow Chart of the Ranks Board]
Detail from the Ranks Flow Chart of the Ranks Board:
1) The title of the rank and, in Roman numerals, the level of the rank. Players start the game on rank I, Bondsman. Right side on the scheme, under the heading „Tithe/Tax“, is listed what has to be payed as rank-specific duties and charges during the second stage (II) of phase (E). In the case of the Bondsmanm this includes the payment of 1 Food, 1 Wood, and 1 Silver coin. Directly below the title of the rank the rank-specific features are listed. In the case of the Bondsman, one of his/her 5 Actions during both Action Phases (A) & (D) is blocked by the Corvee Action (0). Moreover, a Bondsman is not allowed to build any churches or administrative buildings.
2) A Bondsman can rise in rank to a Free Farmer during Phase (C), if he/she pays 5 Silver coins to the Bank (the opportunity, to rise to the rank of a Free Farmer through marriage of one of his/her own offspring with offspring of another player who, in turn, has rank II or higher, is only possible in the Expert Game).
3) Building churches or administrative buildings is allowed for Free Farmers and higher ranks. The first church or administrative building that a player builds thereby determines, which path the player will have to follow through the Ranks Flow Chart: If the player first
builds an administrative building, he/she may not build churches anymore during the remainder of the game, if he/she first builds a church, he/she cannot build administrative buildings anymore. If the player has built an administrative building, he/she must follow the left side of the Flow Chart, thereby following a secular Career. As a consequence, for him/her it is not possible anymore to become a Priest. If the player has build a church, he/she must follow the right side of the Flow Chart, thereby following an ecclesial Career. In this case, the respective player cannot become a Knight anymore. Depending on which type of building a player has build as a Free Farmer and thus which type of Career he/she will have to follow, he/she must have a Prestige of at least 2 and must have built at least 2 administrative buildings (= 2 controlled Map Tiles) to be able to become a Knight, or a Piety of at least 2 and must have built at least 2 churches (= 2 controlled Map Tiles) to become a Priest.
4) Once a player has chosen his/her Career, a secular player requires Prestige and an ecclesial player Piety. The higher the desired rank, the higher the required respective value. In addition, if a player wants to advance to Rank IV, he/she must control an entire Province (= control of at least 4 connected Map Tiles). For furher rises in ranks, a certain amount of Gold, which is specified on the Flow Chart, must be payed to the Bank during Phase (C).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Vogt

Berlin
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
2) WINTER & SPRING MOVES

D) ACTION PHASE - 5 ACTIONS
The large orange wooden cube is placed on the time table of the Ranks Board from the Summer & Autumn Box (A-C) to the Winter & Spring Box (D&E). Otherwise, the rules for Action Phase (A) also apply to Action Phase (D).

E) I) STATUS CHANGES
Various factors can result in changes of the degree of Satisfaction that a player‘s population has with the dynasty‘s leadership. These changes are conducted during the first stage (I) of Phase (E). The following factors can have such an impact: face up Technology Cards, Unrest and Siege Markers, the combination of a previously built brewery Cultivation Marker on the Map and a Tavern Building built on the Settlement Board, as well as the level of Education that the player‘s population and culture achieved. These dependencies are usually communicated with a corresponding iconography. For instance regarding the connection between Education and Satisfaction: to the right of the „9“ and „10“ value of the Education Chart, one or two white symbols are displayed (see Important Symbols). If during (E), a player‘s culture and population has an Education of 9 (like the red player in the example above), their Satisfaction must be increased by one. The Unrest and Siege Markers show the same symbols for Satisfaction, but in red color, indicating that for each such symbol, the satisfaction of the player‘s population will decrease by one. As a consequence, each Unrest Marker reduces the Satisfaction by two.

E) II) TITHE, TAXES, WAGES, POPULATION GROWTH
In the second stage (II) of Phase (E), players have to pay for their rank-specific Tithe or Taxes, pay the wages of their currently deployed units and supply their population with the required Food and Wood. It is IMPORTANT to FOLLOW THE ABOVEMENTIONED SEQUENCE, because not meeting one of these requirements has requirement-specific consequences for the player.
The particular rank-specific dues and duties are listed on the Ranks Flow Chart of the Ranks Board.
The wages to be paid for a player‘s units is defined by the cell of the Units Chart (see Dynasty Board) that contains no wooden cube and lists the highest amount of money. If a player deploys new Units, he/she takes them from left to right and from top to bottom from the Units Chart. Each unit taken leaves its cell empty and thereby exposes the amount of money to be paid. The currently highest exposed amount of money represents the wages to be paid to the bank.
The example given here shows the Dynasty Board of the blue player, indicating a population of 3 and 7 Units employed. Therefore, player blue would have to pay 7 silver coins for the wages of his/her employed units and supply 3 Food and 1 Wood for his/her population.
Each player must always meet the dues and duties during (E) and cannot deliberately skip them. However, in case he/she cannot meet some or all of them, the following rules apply:
Rank-specific Tithe and Taxes not payed
Players who cannot pay their rank-specific tithe and taxes immediately drop one rank. If this is not possible, because he/she is a Bondsman, the player has one Action less during (A) - he/she can only perform 4 Actions during the next Phase (A).
Wages not payed
For every 2 unpayed units (round up), the Satisfaction of the player will be reduced by one.
Population not supplied with enough Food and/or Wood
For each population unit not supplied, an Unrest Marker is placed on one of the Map Tiles the player controls and the population decreases to the supplied population size.

POPULATION & POPULATION GROWTH
The Population Chart of the Dynasty Board of each player indicates the player‘s current population size. The population size ranges from 1 to 10. The population size of a player defines the number of units he/she can potentially employ. Therefore, it takes in a key role in The Election of the King. Only those units on the Units Chart may be employed that are located to the right or above the current Population Marker‘s position. Moreover, population size is also important for the growth of the player‘s settlement. Developing a „Farm“ into a „Town“ requires a population size of at least 3, the development of a „City“ a population size of at least 6, and that of a „Metropolis“ of at least 8.
In this phase of the game, players must not only supply their population, but may also meet the requirements for population growth.
The followign 3 conditions must be met for Population Growth:
1) Population symbols (see Important Symbols) are depicted on the Satisfaction Chart and on some Technology Cards: white or not-red population symbols indicate positive attraction, red population symbols negative attraction for the player‘s realm. Population growth is only possible with a positive Attraction Level, i.e. the amount of positive symbols exceeds that of negative symbols. The Population can grow in size as far as there are more positive than negative symbols. Therefore, a population can only grow if the degree of Satisfaction is high in a player‘s realm (i.e. due to high birth rates, low childhood mortality, good population supply and immigration from surrounding territories, etc.).
2) A population can only grow, if it has sufficient housing space. The number of people symbols on the buildings printed on the Settlement Board indicates the housing space available for a player‘s population. At the beginning of the game, each player already possesses the building „Hut“ (in the „Farm“ on the Settlement Board), which provides housing for 3 population units. As a consequence, as long as a player‘s settlement is a „Farm“, the player‘s population can maximally grow to size 3, but not any further. If the settlement is a „Town“, the population can grow to size 6, is it a „City“, it can grow to size 8, and is it a „Metropolis“, it can grow to size 10. In short: Only if there is enough housing space for the new population level, the population may grow to that level.
NOTE: Population Size is measured according to the Population Chart of the Dynasty Board and NOT according to the number of units a player has employed!
3) If the above mentioned conditions are met, the player must pay for the supply of the targeted new Population Size. However, a player still has to decide that his/her population should grow; it does not grow automatically. Should the player choose the growth, he/she pays the food and wood supply for the newly grown population size instead of the old size.

Summary of all requirements and conditions for population growth:
1) positive Attraction
2) sufficient Housing Space
3) Food and Wood Supply for the new Population Size

IMPORTANT: If the amount of negative population symbols exceeds the positive symbols, a player‘s realm lacks attraction and his/her people emigrate. As a consequence, his/her population shrinks an amount of units equal to the amount of negative population symbols exceeding positive ones!

E) III) HIGH OFFICES
In The Election of the King, players follow the goal to command as many votes as possible during the next Election of a new King (and putative Emperor) of the Holy Roman Empire. This Election always takes place immediately after the death of an Emperor. Every player has the right to vote, who possesses a High Office. A player can possess more than one High Office. Each High Office provides one vote to the player possessing it.
In the third stage (III) of Phase (E), players can seek new High Offices and defend already gained Offices against the other players. To apply for a High Office, the player must belong to a certain social status and rank. Depending on the player‘s rank, he can possess more than one High Office. The number of High Offices a player can possess simultaneously is indicated by a number and a Crown Symbol (see „1“ in figure below, or Important Symbols) on the Ranks Flow Chart of the Ranks Board. Only ranks with such a symbol to the right of the ranks title are allowed to apply for a High Office. If a number is assigned to the left of the crown symbol (see „2“ and „3“ in the figure), this number indicates the maximum number of High Offices that player may possess. Thus, a player must at least be a Count or an Abbot to be able to apply for a High Office. As a Duke or Bishop, a player can possess two Offices, as a King or Cardinal even four.
Ranks, however, only represent a very general prerequisite for the acquisition of a High Office. In addition, each High Office has its own specific prerequisites that a player has to meet. The player must continue to meet this prerequisites even after he/she already holds the Office. Moreover, a previously acquired High Office can be taken away by another player.

PREREQUISITES FOR HIGH OFFICES
CHAMBERLAIN
Player must possess the highest amount of Food during (E) - see Supply Table
CUPBEARER
Player must possess the highest Prestige during (E)
FIELD MARSHAL
Player must possess the strongest Conquering Army during (E) - measured by Conquest Combat Bonus
SENESCHAL
Player must possess most Trade Relations during (E)
MAJORDOMO
Player must possess the most Ready Cash (i.e. Money) during (E)
TRAVEL MARSHAL
Player must possess highest amount of Wood during (E) - see Supply Table
COURT MARSHAL
Plaayer must possess most Level 5 Action Statuses/Levels on the Action Board during (E)
COURT JUDGE
Player must possess the highest Education during (E)
CHANCELLOR
Player must possess the largest City during (E) - measured by the number of covered areas on the Settlement Board
CHANCELLOR
Player must possess the highest Piety during (E)

COUNSELOR Ignored in the Basic Game!
CHANCELLOR with the Offspring condition ignored in the Basic Game!

As long as all prerequisites are met, a player can acquire as many High Offices during the third stage of Phase (E), as he/she is qualified to possess by his/her rank! If a player meets the prerequisites for more High Offices than he/she is allowed to possess by his/her rank, he/she can freely decide, which Offices he/she wants to acquire.
A player possesses a High Office as long as he/she wants to possess it and as long as no other player meets the prerequisites during (E). However, as soon as another player meets the prerequisites of an Office during (E), the current incumbent immediately loses the corresponding High Office Card. This even applies, if the respective player cannot acquire the Office due to a low rank or because he/she does not want to acquire the Office.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Vogt

Berlin
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
3) ADVANCE EPOCH & YEAR MARKER
At the end of each round, the Year Marker is advanced on the Time Table of the Ranks Board by 50 years. If the boundary of an Epoch is crossed, the Epoch Marker is advanced as well.

[figure with the Time Table]
In the example given to the right, the small wooden Year Marker (1) is advanced from 100 to 150. The large wooden cube is the Epoch Marker (2) and is not advanced, because the Epoch is not yet over. The Emperor‘s Death Symbol in the 100 and 00 cell (1&3) indicates the death of the current Emperor. In this example, a new King must be elected at the end of Phase (E).

If no player can decide the Election of the King for themselves, or if no Election takes place, a new round follows.

ELECTION OF THE KING
If the cell that currently holds the Year‘s Marker contains an Emperor‘s Death Symbol, the current Emperor dies and a new King must be elected. In that case, the Election of the King precedes the advancement of the Epoch and Year Marker.

2-3 PLAYER GAME
Any player, who possesses at least one High Office, may participate in the election. Each High Office provides one vote in the election. The player who possesses at least 4 votes AND the highest sum of votes of all players, wins The Election of the King. In the case of a tie between players, the decision is postponed until the next election of the king.

4 PLAYER GAME
The 4 player game has the same winning conditions as the 2 to 3 player game, except for that a player only needs to possess 3 votes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Vogt

Berlin
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OTHER RULES

THE ACTIONS IN DETAIL
The two Action Phases (A & D) represent the core of the game play in The Election of the King. Here, players make most of their important decisions by chosing their actions. At the beginning of each Action Phase, the players choose 5 Actions from their respective Action Card Stacks. They play them face down in front of them, from left to right in the sequence in which they should be executed. This can be conducted simultaneously to reduce down time. Once all players have choosen their Actions, they reveal their first Action Card simultaneously. The number printed on the upper right corner of each Action Card defines the order of play in which the actions of the players will be executed: Actions with a small number will be executed BEFORE Actions with higher numbers. If two or more identical Action Cards have been revealed, order of play follows the Play Order Chart of the Ranks Board.
The Action Board is of particular importance to the execution of an action. Whereas each Action Card represents a specific type of action, each type of action comprises different Action Statuses or Levels. At the beginning of the game, each player can only execute actions in their lowest Status/Level (bottom cell in the Action Board). However, depending on how often a player previously conducted the Upgrade Action (7) on a specific type of action, this player can chose from all stati/level reached so far for this specific type of action. In other words, higher Action Stati/Levels include all of their lower Stati/Levels, and a player can freely chose, which of the reached stati he/she wants to use for executing their action.
The blue player reveals his/her first Action Card: Income & Trade Action (3). The red player revels the Organization & Expansion Action (6). The blue player will execute his/her action before the red player, because Income & Trade has a smaller Action Number than Organization & Expansion. Since the wooden octagon marker for the Income & Trade Action of the blue player stands on the third Status/Level, the blue player can chose from stati/levels 1-3. If he/she choses Action Status 3, he/she will receive 2 Gold from lease, which he/she takes from the Bank. Now the red player can execute his/her Organization & Expansion Action.

(1) Ignored in the Basic Game [DIPLOMACY]

(2) INFLUENCE
A player receives Influence Cards through the Influence Action (2). In the Basic Game, the function of the Influence Cards is limited. The most important part is the text on the cards. The symbols for male and female to the right of the two rings at the top of each card are ignored in the Basic Game. The large number at the bottom of each card is only used in very specific circumstances and does not have the general function that it has in the Expert Game.

INFLUENCE STATUS 1
CHANGE YOUR TURN ORDER POSITION or
DRAW INFLUENCE CARDS
Change Your Turn Order Position
Effect: The player can freely change his/her position on the Play Order of the Ranks Board. The relative order of play of the remainig players to each others must be maintained.
OR
Draw Influence Cards
Effect: The player may draw 2 Influence Cards from the stack of Level I Influence Cards. Overall, the player may hold no more than 2 Influence Cards (Level I): his/her hand limit is 2 Influence Level I Cards. If, after this action, a player holds more than 2 cards on his/her hand, he/she must discard all surplus cards. The player may chose, which cards to discard and which to keep.

INFLUENCE STATUS 2
DRAW INFLUENCE CARDS
Effect: The player may draw 3 Influence Cards from the stack of Level I Influence Cards. Overall, the player may hold no more than 3 Influence Cards (Level I): his/her hand limit is 3 Influence Level I Cards. If, after this action, a player holds more than 3 cards on his/her hand, he/she must discard all surplus cards. The player may chose, which cards to discard and which to keep.

INFLUENCE STATUS 3
DRAW INFLUENCE CARDS
Effect: The player may draw 2 Influence Cards from the stack of Level II Influence Cards (or 3 from Level I). Overall, the player may hold no more than 4 Influence Cards (Level I & Level II). If, after this action, a player holds more than 4 cards on his/her hand, he/she must discard all surplus cards. The player may chose, which cards to discard and which to keep.

INFLUENCE STATUS 4
DRAW INFLUENCE CARDS
Effect: The player may draw 3 Influence Cards from the stack of Level II Influence Cards (or 3 from Level I). Overall, the player may hold no more than 5 Influence Cards (Level I & Level II). If, after this action, a player holds more than 5 cards on his/her hand, he/she must discard all surplus cards. The player may chose, which cards to discard and which to keep.

INFLUENCE STATUS 5
DRAW INFLUENCE CARDS
Effect: The player may draw 2 Influence Cards from the stack of Level III Influence Cards (or 3 from Level I or Level II). Overall, the player may hold no more than 5 Influence Cards (Level I-III). If, after this action, a player holds more than 5 cards on his/her hand, he/she must discard all surplus cards. The player may chose, which cards to discard and which to keep.

Conditions for upgrading the Influence Action
Status
1 -> 2 Pay three Silver Coins to the Bank during an Upgrade Action (7).
2 -> 3 Pay one Gold Coin to the Bank during an Upgrade
Action (7).
3 -> 4 Pay two Gold Coins to the Bank during an Upgrade
Action (7).
4 -> 5 Pay four Gold Coins to the Bank during an Upgrade
Action (7).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Vogt

Berlin
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
(3) INCOME & TRADE
In The Election to the King, players can increase their ready cash through playing Income & Trade Actions (3) during their Action Phases. Analog to the other actions, its specific Action Status determines how the action can be used.
However, it is important to clearly distinguish its „Income“ from its „Trade“ utilization.
The Income Actions Statuses offer a fixed income, which is paid through playing the action. The Trade Actions Statuses, on the other hand, are somewhat more complicated in their handling.

ESTABLISHING TRADE RELATIONS
A player must first establish a trade relation with a city that is directly adjacent to the player‘s realm, before he/she can profit from it. Thus, establishing a trade relation by itself already requires the dedication of an entire Income & Trade Action, without bringing any immediate financial benefits. A trade relation can only be established and maintained with cities that are not under siege and not part of the player‘s realm.
If these conditions are met, an Income & Trade Action will sign the trade agreement. To seal and document this agreement, the player sends a representative into the city, i.e. he/she places one of his/her units onto the city‘s Demand & Trade Agreement Area of the respective City Map Tile. The player has build a trading post in this city.
It is also possible to establish trade relations with other players. It is achieved by establishing a trade relation with one of the player‘s cities. THIS DOES NOT REQUIRE THE CONSENT OF THE OTHER PLAYER. Such a trade relation can only be utilized by the player who established it!
However, the trade relation is immediately terminated, as soon as one of the two corresponding players attacks the other player - through for instance playing an Expansion Action (6) (or an Expel Action - see Expert Game). The unit of the player is returned from the City Map Tile to the player‘s Unit Chart.
In order to maintain a trade relation, the player‘s unit must remain in the respective city. As soon as the player relocates this unit, the trade agreement is considered be terminated by the player.

PROFIT FROM TRADE RELATIONS
Profiting from a previously established trade relation is conducted by playing an Income & Trade Action. The Demand & Trade Agreement Area of a City Map Tile displays 1-2 goods that are in demand in that city (see 1 & 2 in the example given to the right: wood & food). The goods displayed can be sold with profit in this city. In some cities, one has to chose which good to sell (see example: indicated by the word „or“). In such cases, one cannot sell both goods simultaneously. Most cities also indicate a
maximum amount of goods they will buy (see 3 in example: this city buys a maximum of 15 units wood OR 15 units food). The profit realized on this trade depends on the unit price payed by the city (see 4 in example: per unit wood or food, a profit of 1 silver coin will be realized, which equals a maximum gain of 15 silver coins). If basic or special luxury goods are sold, the profit is printed on the respective luxury good cards. The money is taken from the bank.
Selling goods does NOT cause a reduction of ones own resources!

INCOME & TRADE STATUS 1
INCOME - 4 SILVER WAGES
Effect: The player takes 4 Silver Coins from the bank.

INCOME & TRADE STATUS 2
TRADE - ESTABLISH 1 TRADE RELATION or
PROFIT FROM 1 TRADE RELATION
Establish 1 Trade Relation
Effect: The player places one of his/her units in the Demand & Trade Relation Area of a City Map Tile. The player can maintain only 1 trade relation at a time. The player cannot establish a trade relation, if he/she already maintains a trade relation to another city - this relation must be terminated first, before a new relation can be established.
Conditions!
a) The player can only establish and maintain a trade relation with one city at a time!
b) This city must be located directly adjacent to the player‘s realm.
c) A trade relation can only be established and maintained with a city that is not under siege.
OR
Profit from 1 Trade Relation
Effect: The player can profit from ONE of his/her trade relations. As described above, the player sells the goods displayed in the City‘s Demand & Trade Relation Area. The amount of goods sold thereby depends, on the one hand on the maximum amount a city will buy (if there is such a restriction, it will be indicated on the City Map Tile), on the other hand on the amount of goods at the player‘s disposal (see below). The total profit can be calculated by the profit per unit, indicated on the Demand & Trade Relation Area or on the drawn card.
Conditions!
a) A player can only profit from a trade relation with a city for which he/she has established a trade relation in a previous Income & Trade Action.
b) This Action Status allows a player to profit from only one singlene trade realtion per Income & Trade
Action.

INCOME & TRADE STATUS 3
INCOME - 2 GOLD LEASE
Effect: The player received 2 Gold Coins from the bank.

INCOME & TRADE STATUS 4
TRADE - ESTABLISH Xth TRADE RELATION or
PROFIT FROM 2 TRADE RELATIONS
Establish Xth Trade Relation
Effect There is no limit to the total number of trade relations that a player can maintain at the same time, but establishing a new trade relation still requires an entire Income & Trade Action. Otherwise, see rules for Status 2.
Conditions!
See conditions for Status 2.
OR
Profit from 2 Trade Relations
Effect: With a single Income & Trade Action, the player now can profit from trade relations with TWO cities at the same time. It is important to note, however, that one cannot sell the same good twice, e.g. wood to both cities. Otherwise see rules for Status 2.
Conditions!
At this Action Status, a player can profit from exactly two Trade Relations per Income & Trade Action. Otherwise see conditions for Status 2.

INCOME & TRADE STATUS 5
INCOME - TAXATION
Effect: The player receives 2 Gold Coins for each province that he/she controls. In addition, the player receives 1 Silver Coin for each church or administrative building he/she possesses on a Map Tile. Since taxes are always unpopular, taxation decreases the satisfaction of the player‘s population: -1 on the Satisfaction Chart of the Ranks Plan for the player who uses the Taxation Action.

Conditions for upgrading Income & Trade Action
Statuses
1 -> 2 The player must possess at least two churches or two administrative buildings on Map Tiles during the Upgrade Action (7).
2 -> 3 The player must possess at least four churches or four administrative buildings on Map Tiles during the Upgrade Action (7).
3 -> 4 The player must possess at least six churches or six administrative buildings on Map Tiles during the Upgrade Action (7).
4 -> 5 The player permanently employs a tax collector: during the Upgrade Action (7), the player places one of his/her units on the appropriate box of the Action Board.

Trading with Food or Wood
Most cities in The Election of the King demand food and/or wood, with a trading limit of 15 units and a unit profit of 1 Silver Coin. The Food and Wood Chart of the Supply Table shows the amount of food and wood available for each player to sell to a city.
In the example given to the right, the green player (1) possesses the resources to sell three wood units. Thus, the green player would receive 3 Silver Coins, if he/she trades with a city that demands wood. Using the same action, the red player would receive 5 Silver Coins.
Selling wood or food does not cause a reduction of wood or food resources on the Supply Table! The player can sell the same goods in a subsequent Income & Trade Action, even to the same city. However, in the case that two trade agreements are used at the same time (Action Status 4), the player cannot sell the same good to both cities!

Trading with Basic and Special Luxury Goods
The City Map Tile Aachen/Frankfurt a.M. is the only City Map Tile in The Election of the King that demands Luxury Goods. Unlike selling wood or food, however, the amount of Basic and Special Luxury Goods available for a player to sell is not indicated on the Supply Table. Instead, one has to refer to the Cultivation Markers and Settlement Buildings of a player. The number of respective units produced by each cultivation and building that is currently operated (i.e. managed by the required amount of units previously placed on the respective cultivation or building marker) are added and the total represents the amount of luxury goods a player can sell during a trade action. The player then draws a number of Luxury Good Cards equal to the total amount of goods produced from the respective stack (Basic or Special). Each Luxury Good Card indicates the profit that a player gains when selling it to Aachen/Frankfurt a.M. The cards are then discarded to their respective discard pile.

Special Luxury Good Cards
If, due to a Trade Action, a player draws one or more Special Luxury Good Cards, he/she has two options how to precede with each card. He/she either:
1) sells it to the city, in which case the card is discarded to the discard pile, and the player receives the profit indicated on the card from the bank (in the example given to the right, the player receives 2 Gold Coins), or
2) the player places the card face up in front of him/her and uses its effect, which is provided in the card‘s text (in the example, the player would increase once his/her Education Level by 2). This is only possible as long as the same card has not been used before already and lies face up in front of the player - if, e.g., a „Book“ is already lying face up in front of the player, no second „Book“ can be used that way!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Vogt

Berlin
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
(4) BUILDING
Using the Building Action, a player can build various buildings and cultivations and immediately assign to them the units required for managing/operating them. One can build churches, administrative buildings, settlement buildings, or cultivations for Map Tiles. Certain restrictions must be followed and the player must possess the required resources for the construction.
Three different levels of buildings and cultivations
are distinguished, which can be build depending on the player‘s Action Status for the Building Action and the resources available to him/her. Each Level I building/cultivation requires one wood, each Level II building/cultivation one wood and one stone, and each Level III building/cultivation one wood, one stone and two gold. The higher the player‘s Action Status, the more different types of buildings/cultivations he/she can build.

BUILDING STATUS 1
BUILD 2 BUILDINGS AND DEPLOY UNITS THEREIN
Effect: The player can build any combination of up to two churches, administrative buildings, and Level I cultivations and settlement buildings. The former are build on Map Tiles that contain his/her units, the settlement buildings are build on empty spaces of the player‘s Settlement Board. For each building/cultivation build, the player must possess one unit wood (indicated on the Supply Table).
Conditions!
a) Each Map Tile may contain no more than one Cultivation Marker and no more than one church or administrative building. Each space on the Settlement Board may contain no more than one settlement building.
b) Settlement spaces that belong to the „Town“, the „City“, or the „Metropolis“, may only be used for buildings if the player‘s settlement has correspondingly grown in size.

BUILDING STATUS 2
BUILD 3 BUILDINGS AND DEPLOY UNITS THEREIN
Effect: See rules for Status 1, with the exception that the player may build up to three buildings/cultivations.
Conditions!
a, b) See conditions for Status 1.
c) To be able to use the Status 2 Building Action, the player must still possess the Level I settlement building „Apprentice„ on his/her Settlement Board, and it must contain one unit for its management/operation.

BUILDING STATUS 3
BUILD 3 BUILDINGS AND DEPLOY UNITS THEREIN
Effect: The player can build any combination of up to three churches, administrative buildings, and Level I and Level II cultivations and settlement buildings. The former are build on Map Tiles that contain his/her units, the settlement buildings are build on empty spaces of the player‘s Settlement Board. For each Level I and Level II building/cultivation build, the player must possess one unit wood (indicated on the Supply Table). For every Level II building/cultivation build, the player must possess an additional unit stone.
Conditions!
c) To be able to use the Status 3 Building Action, the player must still possess the Level I settlement building „Journeyman„ on his/her Settlement Board, and it must contain two units for its management/operation.

BUILDING STATUS 4
BUILD 4 BUILDINGS AND DEPLOY UNITS THEREIN
Effect: See rules for Status 3, with the addition that the player may build up to four Level I and Level II buildings/cultivations.
Conditions!
c) To be able to use the Status 4 Building Action, the player must still possess the settlement buildings „Journeyman„ (Level I) and „Master„ (Level II) on his/her Settlement Board, and both must contain the required units for their management/operation.

BUILDING STATUS 5
BUILD 4 BUILDINGS AND DEPLOY UNITS THEREIN
Effect: The player can build any combination of up to four churches, administrative buildings, and Level I, Level II, and Level II cultivations and settlement buildings. The former are build on Map Tiles that contain his/her units, the settlement buildings are build on empty spaces of the player‘s Settlement Board. For each Level I, Level II, and Level III building/cultivation build, the player must possess one unit wood (indicated on the Supply Table). For every Level II and Level III building/cultivation build, the player must possess an additional unit stone. For every Level III building/cultivation build, the player must additionally pay 2 Gold Coins to the bank.
Conditions!
c) To be able to use the Status 5 Building Action, the player must still possess the settlement buildings „Journeyman„ (Level I) and „Craft Guild„ (Level III) on his/her Settlement Board, and both must contain the required units for their management/operation.

Conditions for upgrading Building Action
Statuses
1 -> 2 The player must possess the „Apprentice“ (Level I) building on his/her Settlement Board and it must be operated/managed by one of the player‘s units during the Upgrade Action (7).
2 -> 3 The player must possess the „Journeyman“ (Level I) building on his/her Settlement Board and it must be operated/managed by two of the player‘s units during the Upgrade Action (7).
3 -> 4 The player must possess the „Journeyman“ (Level I) AND the „Master“ (Level II) buildings on his/her Settlement Board and they must be operated/managed by the necessary amount of units for their operation/management during the Upgrade Action (7).
4 -> 5 The player must possess the „Journeyman“ (Level I) AND the „Craft Guild“ (Level III) buildings on his/her Settlement Board and they must be operated/managed by the necessary amount of units for their operation/management during the Upgrade Action (7).

Cultivations on Map Tiles
On Map Tiles, only cultivations, churches, and administrative buildings can be build. Per player and Map Tile, only one church OR one administrative building, and only one cultivation may be build. If a Map Tile already contains a cultivation of a player, this player can remove it or replace it with a new cultivation through a Building Action.

Cultivation Markers
The game material for each player includes a series of Cultivation Markers. The player‘s color is indicated on the back sides of the markers as well as the borders of the front sides (in the example below: the top three Cultivation Markers belong to the red player, the bottom one shows the back side of a Cultivation Marker of the green player). The cultivation Level of a Cultivation Marker is shown in Roman numerals on a small colored circle: a yellow circle for Level I, an orange circle for Level II (see 1 in the example), and a bourdaux colored circle for Level III. The building costs for a cultivation are specified not only on the Action Board, but also on the back side of each Cultivation Marker:
Level I: Wood
Level II: Wood + Stone
Level III: Wood + Stone + 2 Gold Coins
The small hex that is displayed on the top left corner of each Cultivation Marker, specifies on which type of Map Tile the cultivation may be build (see 2 in the example below: this Cultivation Marker may only be build on Mountain Map Tiles with a river; see 3 in the example: this Cultivation Marker may be build on any Map Tile with a river; see 4 in the example: this Cultivation Marker may be build on any Map Tile that is directly adjacent to a Sea Tile). For an overview of the meanings of the hexes pleace refer to Important Symbols.
Cultivation Markers cannot be build on City Map Tiles!
A player must place units on a Cultivation Marker to profit from its benefits. The amount of units required is indicated on each Cultivation Marker by a white cube containing a red exclamation mark. One cube requires one unit, two cubes two units (see 5 in the example). The effect of the operation/management of each Cultivation Marker is depicted on its transparently white shaded lower part (see 6 in the example). In the case of quarries, the use of the cultivation can have negative side effects and reduce the player‘s Satisfaction (see 7 in the example).
In which particular context a player can use the effects of a Cultivation Marker depends on the type of cultivation. Quarries, for instance, are often used for building Level II and Level III buildings/cultivations, vintner when trading wine, Mills, Castle, and Fortress during Phase (E. I) (see 8 in the example), Breweries in the connection with a Tavern on the Settlement Board during Phase (E. I), a Paddock during an Expansion Action (6), and a (small) Port when a player sells Basic and/or Special Luxury Goods (see 9 in the example).
Vintner and Mill cultivations require a concession and cannot be operated/managed without such a concession (see 10 in the example). They are not used in the Basic Game!

[symbol of a concession] This symbol indicates those Cultivation Markers that require a specific concession for their operation/management (only used in the Expert Game).

The number of cultivations that a player can build with one Building Action not only depends on the player‘s Action Status, but also on the resources available to him/her. If a player possess only one wood unit (see Supply Table) and currently operates/manages no quarry and possesses no „Quarrying“ Technology Card, he/she can only build a single Level I building, cultivation, church, or administrative building. However, no matter how many buildings, cultivations, churches, and administrative buildings a player builds, the position of his/her wood markers will not be altered on the Supply Table. Thus, the player will be able to build again in a subsequent Building Action.

Churches and Administrative Buildings
Players can not build churches and administrative buildings until they rised to the rank of a Free Farmer. If a player first builds a church, he/she may not build administrative buildings anymore, and vice versa. In other words, building a church or an administrative building sets the path for the player‘s further rise in ranks: ecclesial or secular.

Buildings on the Settlement Board
Each empty space on a player‘s Settlement Board may only contain one Building Marker (some markers take two spaces). The positions of the Building Markers may be newly arranged at any Building Action. Building Markers may also be replaced at a Building Action. A player may only place new buildings in spaces that belong to the player‘s current level of settlement development (i.e. Farm, Town, City, or Metropolis).
At the beginning of the game, players can only build on the Farm spaces. One a player meets the conditions for the Town, his/her Farm will automatically grow to a Town and the respective spaces may be used for buildings. The same applies to the City and Metropolis spaces.
The red shaded spaces are marked only as a reminder that some buildings must be build in order to guarantee further growth of a player‘s settlement to the next level.
Otherwise, the rules for building Buildings are similar to those for Cultivation Markers:
Back side indicates player color and building costs.
The small colored circle with Roman numeral at the top right corner indicates the Level (I-III) of the building.
The small white cube indicates that a player must place a unit on the Building for operating/managing it. Otherwise, he/she will not profit from the Building‘s effects.
The benefits of a building are depicted on the center of the front side of a Building.
Some buildings replace other buildings (specified on the Building Markers by red colored text). These other buildings musst be built first, before they can be replaced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.