Dustin Schwartz
United States
Jackson
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
www.therulesforge.com
badge
Get your slimy, webbed phalanges off ma boots!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all!

I am trying to plan a light-hearted board gaming tournament for when my family gets together over Christmas. I have been introducing them to various games, and would like to set up a tournament that can incorporate various games into its scoring system, but am not sure how to do that.

Obviously, it would be easy if it was just one game, like the Settler's tournaments.

My challenges are the following:

-variety of games being played
-7 players in all, not everyone will play every game
-not all games support equal number of players (ranging from 4-7)

Here are examples of possible games for the tournament (I own all these):
Ticket to Ride, 7 Wonders, Small World, Tikal, Merchant of Venus, King of Tokyo, Pirate's Cove, Cargo Noir, Deadwood.

I've commissioned a trophy from the local engraving shop, but how would one go about determining an *overall* winner? Should I weight the games based on the number of players (i.e. each player's odds of winning)? Do I award more points for winning more difficult games?

Also, how would co-op games (Arkham Horror, Ghost Stories) figure into a scoring system, since everybody wins or loses?

I apologize if this type of question has been asked ad nauseum, but I've yet to come up with a good idea for this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David P
msg tools
mb
Off the top of my head I don't have a great idea for co-op scoring in Arkham, maybe per monster killed? Gates closed?

A quick and dirty (and easy to understand) score system is to award points based on the inverse of their finishing position, so assume you have a 4 player game:

1st - 4pts
2nd - 3pts
3rd - 2pts
4th - 1pt

This encourages everyone to play because they can pick up a few points even if they are not good at the game. When a new game is picked, assuming everyone cannot play at one time, let the person with the lowest points decide whether they want to play it or not. This way the person with the highest points might have to sit out a game or two allowing others to catch up and keep it close.

If you have 7 players then leave 7 Wonders for the last game, allowing all players to compete at the end at one time should lead to good times if the points are close.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Schwartz
United States
Jackson
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
www.therulesforge.com
badge
Get your slimy, webbed phalanges off ma boots!
mbmbmbmbmb
David, thanks for the response.

The inverse scoring is how I did things the last time I tried to do an impromptu scoring, but that system got thrown slightly off by games having different numbers of players (example: 1st in a 5-player nets you 5 points, while first in a 4-player nets you only 4 points).

This wouldn't be that big of a deal, except the fact that not everyone plays every game. Last time around, my wife (two 2nd-place finishes in 5P games) beat my brother (two 1st place finishes in 4P, 1 2nd place finish in 3P, 1 2nd place finish in 5P) in average points per game. Maybe I'll have to do away with the "averages" thing.

I like your idea of the person in last getting first "dibs" on sitting in on the next game if they so choose. Or maybe I could just pre-determine the games, in such a way that every person will play an equal number of games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.