Popular Tags: [View All]
Christy
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone here ever painted blank dice? Not pips or indents or anything, I'm just interested in doing simple shapes in solid colors on the sides. My idea is to make Summoner Wars dice that have red circles to represent hits and white circles to represent misses, so you don't have to count pips every time you roll. (I've already executed this idea using stickers, but the red Sharpie is bleeding and now the formerly white sides are pink.)

Any suggestions for painting dice and getting a good result? I have Formula P3 acrylic paints in red and white, plus Future floor finish to protect the paint job. Do I need to prime dice and if so, what should I use? Gesso maybe? The finished job does not have to be detailed or artistic, just functional for playing the game and of course, durable over many die rolls.

Thanks for any advice you can give!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim M-L
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A paint pen might stick better and be more durable, so work better for you than acrylic paint. Either way, I think you will have a very hard time putting any clear coat on the dice evenly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Low
United States
Hayward
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just something to consider.

Abilities on such characters as Oldin, Summoner of the Guild Dwarves:

Stone Melding
When an opponent rolls to attack Oldin, if Oldin is adjacent to a wall card, he only receives wound markers on results of 4 or higher during that attack.

Additionally, there are rolls for 6-sided die that do not correspond with standard attack probability for the Sand Goblin Cowardice ability, Tundra Orc Fury, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christy
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
timlillig wrote:
A paint pen might stick better and be more durable, so work better for you than acrylic paint. Either way, I think you will have a very hard time putting any clear coat on the dice evenly.

Thanks, Tim. I hadn't thought about possible issues with the clear coat, and I'll definitely consider paint pens!

hamtastic wrote:
Just something to consider.

Abilities on such characters as Oldin, Summoner of the Guild Dwarves:

Stone Melding
When an opponent rolls to attack Oldin, if Oldin is adjacent to a wall card, he only receives wound markers on results of 4 or higher during that attack.

Additionally, there are rolls for 6-sided die that do not correspond with standard attack probability for the Sand Goblin Cowardice ability, Tundra Orc Fury, etc.

Thanks for the reminder, Bryan. We play with a few regular d6s on hand so we can just grab them whenever this comes up. It's a minor inconvenience to switch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K H
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cmarie wrote:
Any suggestions for painting dice and getting a good result? I have Formula P3 acrylic paints in red and white, plus Future floor finish to protect the paint job. Do I need to prime dice and if so, what should I use? Gesso maybe? The finished job does not have to be detailed or artistic, just functional for playing the game and of course, durable over many die rolls.

Applying a primer coat should not be necessary, but good surface prep is a must. Rough the surface with 300 grit wet/dry sandpaper. I recommend you use it wet, and use tiny circular strokes. Also wash the die carefully to remove any grease, gunk, or goo. Then paint sparingly to form your artwork. Thicker paint seems to chip more easily.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Maggi
United States
Loudonville
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not purchase plastic indented dice and then paint them, or use labels, to suit?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Kozak
United States
Springfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Benjamin Maggi wrote:
Why not purchase plastic indented dice and then paint them, or use labels, to suit?

Or just put stickers over any unused dice
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beto Francischinelli
Brazil
Itu
São Paulo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
schwigityschwag wrote:
Or just put stickers over any unused dice

"Unused dice"? People have those!?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Dale
Australia
Moggill
Queensland
flag msg tools
designer
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
badge
When will the die stop rolling? What face finishes showing?
mbmbmbmbmb
I've tried painting dice. The paint comes off really quickly. To do it properly, you need to engrave (use a dremel or equivalent rotary tool) or get indented dice. I've used stickers on indented dice but not tried painting them -- I suspect both will work.

- Pauli
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christy
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone for your continued feedback. Pauli, I have been concerned about the paint coming off, so that is good to know.

At this point, I am either planning to get indented dice and do the sandpaper thing to prime as Slounger suggested, or go "pro" and have either Chessex or customdice.com do them, depending on how much money I feel like spending.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.