Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Eclipse: Rise of the Ancients» Forums » Variants

Subject: Rare tech idea: Interceptor logistics rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
The interceptor bay was neat for making interceptors more useful for offensive operations, but I'd still like to see them be a bit more viable for use in larger numbers. So here's an idea I have for a rare tech.

INTERCEPTOR LOGISTICS (10/7)

For each move performed during a move action, you may move two interceptors, provided that they move together for the entire move. That is, they must start in the same place and move the same route and end up in the same place.

In that way, interceptor swarming might be viable for others than Rho Indi. If the above sounds overpowering, well, the cost could be adjusted. Also, mind you, interceptors have so few slots for components that making them into all-around all-comer general-purpose warships is practically impossible, and any interceptor build should be more easily countered than, say, a cruiser build.

Mind you, I know that interceptors are considered entirely viable as-is for raiding and pinning. However, this tech wouldn't make them much better at that, since to benefit from it, they'd have to move in pairs anyway, i.e. combat groups, not lone raiders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Sorbello
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/81536/hangar-bay-and-boost...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Are we talking about the same thing? I didn't mean a ship component, but a tech that gives you an effect simply for having the tech. As in, you get to move two interceptors for the price of one. Not move interceptors along with other ships.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tuomas H
msg tools
I like this idea. Most battles for me (experience of about 15 games of eclipse) have been fought with bigger ships, while interceptors have been used mostly only for pinning. This kind of a technology would make interceptor-focused fleets a lot more viable, since their problem with most races is the number of actions you need to move them. Its a lot more efficient action-wise to build two DNs and move them with one action than eight interceptors and move them with four. As an added bonus this technology, especially if several players could acquire it, would make early game interceptors a better investment and encourage early game dogfights.

Maybe you could test this technology in different groups and see how it works. Seems like good thinking that the two interceptors would have to be treated as a single group, since it would not make raiding that much easier. I'd be so interested in hearing any developer comments on the issue of interceptors vs action efficiency.

Touko?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
This whole idea occurred to me after I considered the weirdness of Mechanema's racial characteristics. Their racial discount on ship material costs is most significant for interceptors (and starbases). Their bonus to build capacity makes them able to churn out loads of them with fewer actions than anyone else would need. And positron computer, which they start with, is a key tech for making sure your interceptors get to shoot first and hard.

And yet, they only get to move two of them per action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tuomas H
msg tools
I've thought the same thing - it is cheap and efficient to build Mechanema interceptors, but moving them is costly. Your technology would make Mecha-interceptors much deadlier strategically... but would it then make Mecha somewhat overpowered?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petri Savola
Finland
Espoo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Tuomas H wrote:
I've thought the same thing - it is cheap and efficient to build Mechanema interceptors, but moving them is costly. Your technology would make Mecha-interceptors much deadlier strategically... but would it then make Mecha somewhat overpowered?

Interceptors are mostly used for defending and pinning and I don't see a problem with that. One basic strategy of Mechanema is to build a pile of interceptors to your choke point(s) and then you can build monoliths behind that choke point.

Interceptor Logistics tech would weaken Terran and Syndicate, by making their special racial ability available for everybody. I'm not sure if I'd like that side effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim van Gruisen
Netherlands
Den Bosch
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Konrad von Richtmark wrote:
In that way, interceptor swarming might be viable for others than Rho Indi.

See this (fanmade) race - and here is the player board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim van Gruisen
Netherlands
Den Bosch
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Tuomas H wrote:
[T]his technology, especially if several players could acquire it, would make early game interceptors a better investment and encourage early game dogfights.

If it is a rare technology, it is unlikely that several players can get it, or that it is available in the early game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petri, if we're talking about chokepoint defence, wouldn't Mechanema be even better served using starbases for that? Sure, interceptors are versatile and can be used for attacking as well if the situation warrants it, but a few odd interceptors on top of a starbase pile should do just as well (since you'd never have actions to move that entire interceptor pile anyway).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petri Savola
Finland
Espoo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Petri, if we're talking about chokepoint defence, wouldn't Mechanema be even better served using starbases for that? Sure, interceptors are versatile and can be used for attacking as well if the situation warrants it, but a few odd interceptors on top of a starbase pile should do just as well (since you'd never have actions to move that entire interceptor pile anyway).

It depends on the situation. Sometimes you might want to keep starbases in reserve, because you don't know where the opponent will attack. If you build them, the opponent can simply attack a sector where you don't have starbases. Also, there are only 4 starbases, so a determined player can run over that pile if he really wants, so you'll need the interceptors anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
To be frank, I'm not so sure this tech would even be less useful for Terrans and Rho Indi. Imagine Rho Indi having this on top of their 4 moves per action. They'd never need to build anything else but interceptors, being able to use them both for raiding and for main combat, combining as they see fit.

The only one I see would benefit disproportionately would indeed be the Mechanema.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Sorbello
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Are we talking about the same thing? I didn't mean a ship component, but a tech that gives you an effect simply for having the tech. As in, you get to move two interceptors for the price of one. Not move interceptors along with other ships.

If it is a tech then some can use it and pthers will not.
If it is available for everyone from the beginning then it is more balanced.
Also remember you can have it on your ship move and then upgrade your ships with weapons. Essentially making it a tech that simply uses actions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.