Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Johnson
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Please post rule based questions here. Please include the rule in question and a corresponding game play example.

Long Form Rules PDF Download Link:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/94446622/PURGE%20Long%20Form%20Rules...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Condon
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These are some rules questions I came up with while reading the long form rules sheet.

1. Am I to understand that the production of a unit/tek takes up an entire sub phase, as opposed to, say, making all 3 production actions at once?

2. What is a 'modified' cost as opposed to a regular cost?

3. P 13 clarification. You declare the battle instance and then move them to the targeted vector in the same sub-phase? Or does the opponent get a sub-phase to do respond?

4. What if you declare battle instance on a vector, intending to move units from a different field that already has enemy units on it? Would that unit be able to attack you while you turn your back on them, so to speak?

5. P 14, 'Cards with sub types count as both subtypes.'? The unit/token rule is a little obtusely worded. Am I to understand that tokens can be targeted by any card-type specific effect regardless of its unit sub-type? If that's the case, what is the purpose for giving tokens a sub type at all? (Or am I reading too much into a typo?)

6. The rules state that tokens go away at the end of turn. I'm assuming this only affects tokens that represent full units, and not, say, the tokens that are on Red Hand or other accumulative tokens, right?

6a. What functional detail went into the decision to make tokens go away at the end of the turn? (I’m thinking that the Infinite One would be designed to spit out tokens and flood the board, and this rule could change this functionality, but what do I know?)

6b. Also, when these tokens ‘go away’, do the ops cards that created them go back into the deck or are they discarded?

7. P 18. What would cause a player to be over their supply cap at the end of the turn if they couldn't legally play a card over the supply cap during their turn?

8. P 20. 'A player may not declare a Battle Instance on his/her Opponents Stronghold Vector if no friendly Units/Commander is present in the Field Vector.' I'm assuming this is to prevent jets from flying in from home vectors?

9. P20. Suffers -1 (target symbol.) ? Wouldn't the units removal from the battle cause their -1 attacks to be meaningless? Or is this saying that a unit CANNOT retreat if they have 0 attacks remaining?

10. With regards to 'floating' effects, are they cumulative in any fashion? Using Chronometry for example(s): Could the same unit have its damage output reduced by 2 by either A) being attacked by 2 different chronometry units, or B) two consecutive attacks from the SAME chronometry unit?) Or is it an effect that can only affect a unit once until the ‘floating’ effect wears off?

11. The 'Chrono Drone' says that it has Chronometry, but it doesn’t appear to have the unlock symbol on it. In the unit abilities glossary, Chronometry is stated to need a TEK to unlock. Was the Chrono Drone card an old picture, or are there units that can come with these abilities without the need to unlock them?

12. Are we to be supplied with (precious precious) counters to show damage and attack expenditures for units? (I saw it discussed one time, but I never saw if it was in the works or not.) If not, what is the suggested way to keep track of which units were damaged and which units still have attacks left during a battle instance?

12a. Any suggestions on how to keep track of what units have exhausted their once per turn abilities? Also, any suggestions on how to keep track of what floating abilities exist on the unit in question? (I’m thinking of making counters of some sort.)

13. I've purchased some 10 page card portfolios for the game. (2x2 sheets, need to double up to make it to 50.) I thought it might be a nifty way to organize the cards instead of having to flip through 3 different decks. Would there be a game mechanics or practical reason why this would not work?

14. Irradiate- The maximum health of WHICH unit is subtracted from the current health of the source with Irradiate, the targeted unit or the source unit? Could I see an example?

15. What is the practical difference between a ‘Cancel’ effect and a ‘Nullify effect?

16. How is the damage dealt by units with Critical Mass calculated? Is the damage not prevented by armor dealt first? Is this damage dealt in addition to the stated damage on the unit?

17. For Fractal Repair, Clone DNA and other resurrection effects: If this ability is stated on the unit itself, can you pay the cost when the unit card is in the discard pile, or does it have to be paid as soon as the unit is destroyed? Are there other abilities that can be paid/triggered from the discard pile?

18. If a DEFENDER unit being attacked has its life reduced below 3, does the bonus life granted by Defender get removed at the end of the battle instance (and thus killing it instantly)?

19. Damage- In the rules, the usage of the ‘damage’ symbol seems confusing because it seems to both denote how much damage has been received and also how much damage a unit can do. The ‘Flux’ ability could be interpreted as adding/subtracting the damage output from one Flux unit to another instead of the (presumably) correct interpretation as distributing damage received between units.

19a. With regards to Flux, am I to understand that you can do this from any distance away, even if one is in battle and one is not?

20. Zero Hour TEK card: Am I to understand that all races require some sort of TEK to play Super Weapons, or are there some that you can play as if they were normal cards?

21. Can you play COMM OPS even with your commander in the discard pile?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Condon
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Didn't realize I created a WALL of WORDS. Should have split it up. Many apologies! modest
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pruitt
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
1. Am I to understand that the production of a unit/tek takes up an entire sub phase, as opposed to, say, making all 3 production actions at once?

Yes, under Game Player Basics it states that putting any card into play coutns as a Sub-phase of a players turn.

2. What is a 'modified' cost as opposed to a regular cost?

Modified cost is the final cost with all additions and reducetions taken into account affecting the card.

3. P 13 clarification. You declare the battle instance and then move them to the targeted vector in the same sub-phase? Or does the opponent get a sub-phase to do respond?

No your opponent does not get a subphase between the actions as it says the battle instance starts immediately. Also under battle instance resolution it states that it is the end of a players sub-phase.

4. What if you declare battle instance on a vector, intending to move units from a different field that already has enemy units on it? Would that unit be able to attack you while you turn your back on them, so to speak?

No, the field is a massive area that comprises all the other locations that aren't your or your opponents stronghold vector. So if you occupy same field vector it is possible you are no where near each other physically.

5. P 14, 'Cards with sub types count as both subtypes.'? The unit/token rule is a little obtusely worded. Am I to understand that tokens can be targeted by any card-type specific effect regardless of its unit sub-type? If that's the case, what is the purpose for giving tokens a sub type at all? (Or am I reading too much into a typo?)

There is no typo. Tokens are created as exact copys of the card. So an exact copy of a Unit-Infantry and all its other offensive and defensive stats is created from a card. So by the wording of the creating cards tokens have sub-types.

6. The rules state that tokens go away at the end of turn. I'm assuming this only affects tokens that represent full units, and not, say, the tokens that are on Red Hand or other accumulative tokens, right?

6a. What functional detail went into the decision to make tokens go away at the end of the turn? (I’m thinking that the Infinite One would be designed to spit out tokens and flood the board, and this rule could change this functionality, but what do I know?)

6b. Also, when these tokens ‘go away’, do the ops cards that created them go back into the deck or are they discarded?

Yes, only token Units are removed from play.

The balance decision to make tokens go away was so that they could produce more tokens and more powerful tokens aswell with out quickly becoming out of hand. As production actions are limited The Infintie Ones ability to produce token units is far greater.

No, the resolution of the OPS card puts the token into play and the OPS card is placed into the OPS discard pile after resolution.

7. P 18. What would cause a player to be over their supply cap at the end of the turn if they couldn't legally play a card over the supply cap during their turn?

Effects exist in the game that remove a Unit from the game until the end of turn thus if you play a unit that during your turn and the Removed unit returns and puts you over your supply. The Fractal Repair ability will allow you to bring a Unit back that will put you over your supply cap for the turn.

8. P 20. 'A player may not declare a Battle Instance on his/her Opponents Stronghold Vector if no friendly Units/Commander is present in the Field Vector.' I'm assuming this is to prevent jets from flying in from home vectors?

That was added in an subsequence edit of the rules to raise clarity. It is removed and reverted back to what it was which a player may only target and include units/commander to particpate in a battle instance in an adjacent vector to the targeted Vector. Meaning you can only include units in the field to attack your opponents Stronghold Vector, this is overwritten by the Jet effect for Jets.

9. P20. Suffers -1 (target symbol.) ? Wouldn't the units removal from the battle cause their -1 attacks to be meaningless? Or is this saying that a unit CANNOT retreat if they have 0 attacks remaining?

No, The - 1 Attack is not meaningless. Units may retreat with 0 attacks.

10. With regards to 'floating' effects, are they cumulative in any fashion? Using Chronometry for example(s): Could the same unit have its damage output reduced by 2 by either A) being attacked by 2 different chronometry units, or B) two consecutive attacks from the SAME chronometry unit?) Or is it an effect that can only affect a unit once until the ‘floating’ effect wears off?

Choronometry symbol was switched mistakenly with damage, it is attacks. Yes a Unit/Commander maybe affected any number of times by a source with Chronometry or multiple Sources with Chronometry.

11. The 'Chrono Drone' says that it has Chronometry, but it doesn’t appear to have the unlock symbol on it. In the unit abilities glossary, Chronometry is stated to need a TEK to unlock. Was the Chrono Drone card an old picture, or are there units that can come with these abilities without the need to unlock them?

This is an older picture of the card. As we said this is the rough version before our Graphic Artist had a chance to update all symbols and cards to their current version.

12. Are we to be supplied with (precious precious) counters to show damage and attack expenditures for units? (I saw it discussed one time, but I never saw if it was in the works or not.) If not, what is the suggested way to keep track of which units were damaged and which units still have attacks left during a battle instance?

The beauty is that any method maybe used. Someplayers with multiple tokens builty a attack pool* at the start of the turn or when the card came into play by putting tokens equal to the units attacks on each card. One player used dice to keep track of attacks having a few d6. Many just remembered the number of attacks. As you are dealing with units with 1 or 2 attacks.

12a. Any suggestions on how to keep track of what units have exhausted their once per turn abilities? Also, any suggestions on how to keep track of what floating abilities exist on the unit in question? (I’m thinking of making counters of some sort.)

Players during Beta used coins, turned the Unit 90* or just put a different colored token on different parts of the card. Units die fast and often that tracking truely becomes a non issue fast.

13. I've purchased some 10 page card portfolios for the game. (2x2 sheets, need to double up to make it to 50.) I thought it might be a nifty way to organize the cards instead of having to flip through 3 different decks. Would there be a game mechanics or practical reason why this would not work?

At the moment no. The 3 decks was done for patient reasons with WotC. In the future however there maybe an issue but it is easily resolved.

14. Irradiate- The maximum health of WHICH unit is subtracted from the current health of the source with Irradiate, the targeted unit or the source unit? Could I see an example?

Its all part of the same sentence meaning it is the max health of the Source with Irradiate. Mastermind of Matter has a max Health of 10. He has taken 8 damage and now has a current Health of 2. He decides to use the Irradiate ability and subtracts 2 from 10 to get 8 or his max Health of 10 from his current Health of 2. He would then deal that 8 damage to any target Unit or Commander with the damage being reduced by Armor.

15. What is the practical difference between a ‘Cancel’ effect and a ‘Nullify effect?

Cancaled cards go to the discard pile. Nullified cards go back into the players deck. Cancal is the stronger of the two effects.

16. How is the damage dealt by units with Critical Mass calculated? Is the damage not prevented by armor dealt first? Is this damage dealt in addition to the stated damage on the unit?

A unit with Critcal Mass that does 3 damage for example will attack a Unit with 3 armor. The damage will be reduced by 3 to 1 because critical mass prevents the damage from being reduced lower than 1. The same Unit attacks a Unit with 1 armor, 3 damage reduced by 1 armor will carry 2 damage over to the Units health, Critical Mass will not take effect in that case. Damage is always dealt to a Units Health but is reduced by armor before reaching health.

17. For Fractal Repair, Clone DNA and other resurrection effects: If this ability is stated on the unit itself, can you pay the cost when the unit card is in the discard pile, or does it have to be paid as soon as the unit is destroyed? Are there other abilities that can be paid/triggered from the discard pile?

Ressurection effects are the only effects that maybe used from the discard pile. The effects don't have to be used immediately.

18. If a DEFENDER unit being attacked has its life reduced below 3, does the bonus life granted by Defender get removed at the end of the battle instance (and thus killing it instantly)?

Yes you are correct. It made a heroic last stand and died due to exhaustion or its wounds.

19. Damage- In the rules, the usage of the ‘damage’ symbol seems confusing because it seems to both denote how much damage has been received and also how much damage a unit can do. The ‘Flux’ ability could be interpreted as adding/subtracting the damage output from one Flux unit to another instead of the (presumably) correct interpretation as distributing damage received between units.

This effect has been reworded. Damage is damage. The Flux effect has been changed to heal health and deal the healed amount in damage to another Unit not reduced by Armor.

19a. With regards to Flux, am I to understand that you can do this from any distance away, even if one is in battle and one is not?

You are correct.

20. Zero Hour TEK card: Am I to understand that all races require some sort of TEK to play Super Weapons, or are there some that you can play as if they were normal cards?

Same deal as Chrono Drone this is an old picture of a card.

21. Can you play COMM OPS even with your commander in the discard pile?

No, you cannont. Under the playing an OPS card you must satisfy the Commander requirement and have them be alive and in play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Condon
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Couple of clarification questions and a NEW question!

5. I would still clear this up on the language. As you state it, token units have the same sub type as the unit that created them (?), but the rules themselves seem to suggest that a token of a Tank could also be targeted by any OPS card that would target Jets, or Infantry, or anything else for that matter.

"Unit Class and Token Rule- Cards with sub types count as both subtypes for targeting purposes. Tokens are considered all subtypes for targeting types."

This, to me, BEGS a vigorous re-wording.

8. Just to be clear, this means that a squadron of 3 jets can fly in to attack the opponents home vector WITHOUT having anything at all in the Field vector?

9. Follow Up: How does suffering -1 attack on a unit matter when they can a. flee at 0 attacks, and b. no longer attack during that attack instance? Is there something I'm missing here, such as the # of attacks not replenishing until the end of the full turn (making the -1 attack matter for FUTURE attack incidents on that same turn with that creature) or something else?

14. What is happening thematically with 'Irradiate' then? I understand that it becomes more potent as the unit takes damage. Is it something akin to a nuclear power core leak or something?

Some of the questions I have will just wait until I have the product.

NEW QUESTION!: "A maximum of 1 Super weapon card may be included in a Deck."
Since this game is based upon the idea of 3 'decks', does this mean theoretically that you could have 1 superweapon in the WAR deck, and 1 superweapon in the TEK deck, and one superweapon in the OPS deck?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher B
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
roufus wrote:

9. Follow Up: How does suffering -1 attack on a unit matter when they can a. flee at 0 attacks, and b. no longer attack during that attack instance? Is there something I'm missing here, such as the # of attacks not replenishing until the end of the full turn (making the -1 attack matter for FUTURE attack incidents on that same turn with that creature) or something else?

The stats regenerate at the beginning of the turn. Not after the battle instance ends.
You can have as many battle instances during one turn as you want.

A unit that flees with 0 attack points will be an easy target during the next battle instance initiated by your enemy! MUHAHA devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher B
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
roufus wrote:

Since this game is based upon the idea of 3 'decks', does this mean theoretically that you could have 1 superweapon in the WAR deck, and 1 superweapon in the TEK deck, and one superweapon in the OPS deck?

From the rules:

Quote:

War Deck- The WAR deck contains only Unit cards.

TEK (Technology) Deck- The TEK deck holds technology cards, defensive attachments,
resource attachments, and super weapon.

OPS (Operations) Deck- The OPS deck includes only OPS cards.
Discard Piles-The three Decks have respective discard piles next to them.

Super Wwapons are in the TEK deck. So no, you can only have ONE super weapon because you have only one deck you can place it in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pruitt
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
5. I would still clear this up on the language. As you state it, token units have the same sub type as the unit that created them (?), but the rules themselves seem to suggest that a token of a Tank could also be targeted by any OPS card that would target Jets, or Infantry, or anything else for that matter.

"Unit Class and Token Rule- Cards with sub types count as both subtypes for targeting purposes. Tokens are considered all subtypes for targeting types."

This, to me, BEGS a vigorous re-wording.

Token Units have the same sub-type as the card that they were created from. Lots of cards create exact copies of cards not just units. The desire was to have the token be the weakest version of a Unit a Strawman. When you get the cards you'll see that lots of cards really pick on Infantry and Tank cards and this was done because the loss of those is not a game ender but the destruciton of a Rig/Mothership/Dreadnought can spell the doom of the player whose Rig was destroyed.

I'm not able to see where the re-wording needs to happen as it seems you grasph the rule but believe that some points are incorrect in your understanding.

8. Just to be clear, this means that a squadron of 3 jets can fly in to attack the opponents home vector WITHOUT having anything at all in the Field vector?

Yes that is correct. You can fly 3 jets over with out the need to have Units/Commander in the field.

This also allows you to launch an attack on your opponents Stronghold Vector include no units from the field or Jets from your base and have the battle instance end with nothing happening wasteing your sub-phase.

Stats regenerate at the end of turn. Fleeing from battle reduces your chance to attack that turn by taking away the attacks avaliable to your unit. And yes a Unit with 0 attacks can flee.

14. What is happening thematically with 'Irradiate' then? I understand that it becomes more potent as the unit takes damage. Is it something akin to a nuclear power core leak or something?

Your part right on a Matter Drone it means that more free Electrons can be utilized and thus bombard a target. Where on the Mastermind of Matter he finaly has had enough and his anger shows in a show of force.

While Superweapons have sub-types to let players know how they are to be played the are placed in the TEK deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Taylor
United States
flag msg tools

This to me sounds like, if you create a token of an infantry. That token will have the subtype of infantry, tank, jet, commander, etc. so it can be targeted by anything. Since it says "Tokens are considered ALL subtypes." Is this correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pruitt
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools

This to me sounds like, if you create a token of an infantry. That token will have the subtype of infantry, tank, jet, commander, etc. so it can be targeted by anything. Since it says "Tokens are considered ALL subtypes." Is this correct?

Yes it will be considered all the Sub Types for targeting purposes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben McGuire
United States
Parsons
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello. Just got the Game in the mail. Very excited to get going, but have a few questions / clarifications:

1 - I've read through the long rules and re-written some for my playing group's clarifications - are these statements all correct and all inclusive? Am I missing anything?

A) A Player’s Deck consists of:

Exactly 1 Faction Commander
Exactly 1 Faction Stronghold
A maximum of 1 Super Weapon
A maximum of 6 Resource Attachment Cards
A maximum of 2 Defensive Attachment Cards
A maximum of 8 Technology Cards
A maximum of 50 total Cards

B) A Players Deck is limited by the following:

Only 4 copies of the same named Ops Card may be included in a player’s OPS Deck.
Only 3 copies of the same named Unit Card may be included in a player’s WAR Deck.
Only 2 copies of the same named Attachment Card may be included in a player’s TEK Deck.
Only 1 copy of the same named Technology Card may be included in a player’s TEK deck.
A player's deck must be all of the same colored cards.

2 - A) When exactly do Stacks come into play?
My understanding is that a stack comes into play only when someone interrupts the normal flow of the game (usually in a battle I would think) by playing an OPS card or something, giving the other player an opportunity to counter / defend / avoid / prepare. Or should I think of it as every time one single event happens, a "rulebook event" is placed in the stack to be resolved? In other words, the normal attack vs defense action goes in to the stack first as a rulebook event that can then be countered / buffed / avoided by playing cards, and if no cards are played, then it is instantly resolved?

B) Is there just one giant stack for a whole battle instance that you keep track of and write down on paper, or a stack for every little event, like attacking or escaping?

C) Why are "The Inevitable End" and "End of Battle" the only "rulebook events" that are specifically clarified in the rules?

I hope I am making enough sense about Stacks, as I like the concept if it works like I think it works, and am interested even if it doesn't work like I think...

Thanks, -Ben

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pruitt
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
1 - I've read through the long rules and re-written some for my playing group's clarifications - are these statements all correct and all inclusive? Am I missing anything?

A)The Sum of all 3 Decks a player owns must contain:

Yes all those are correct.

B) A Players 3 Decks are limited by the following:

Yes All those are correct.

2 - A) When exactly do Stacks come into play?
My understanding is that a stack comes into play only when someone interrupts the normal flow of the game (usually in a battle I would think) by playing an OPS card or something, giving the other player an opportunity to counter / defend / avoid / prepare. Or should I think of it as every time one single event happens, a "rulebook event" is placed in the stack to be resolved? In other words, the normal attack vs defense action goes in to the stack first as a rulebook event that can then be countered / buffed / avoided by playing cards, and if no cards are played, then it is instantly resolved?

You are correct every Rulebook Event, battle action and effect usage is added to the stack to be resolved. So if no one wishes to respond the effect is resolved.

B) Is there just one giant stack for a whole battle instance that you keep track of and write down on paper, or a stack for every little event, like attacking or escaping?

A stack for every little event assumeing both players pass and let the stacks resolve individually.

C) Why are "The Inevitable End" and "End of Battle" the only "rulebook events" that are specifically clarified in the rules?

They were specifically listed as rulebook effects for targeting and resolution purposes as well as understanding of where said effects residee within a building stack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben McGuire
United States
Parsons
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the Quick Responses.... the rules are all falling into place.... mwahaha!!!

I am starting to love the counter of a counter of a counter of an action type gameplay, all at the expenditure of precious, precious power.

To keep the questions coming, should I treat TEK cards with "Pay X" and "OPT" Abilities as basically playing an operation card (that doesn't get discarded) into the stack whenever conditions allow it?

Also, you might want to have some more examples of gameplay (specifically a battle event with some OPs and OPT events going on, and maybe a complete example turn [without battle, but with unit production and movement] with both players visible), now that the cards are final.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pruitt
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
To keep the questions coming, should I treat TEK cards with "Pay X" and "OPT" Abilities as basically playing an operation card (that doesn't get discarded) into the stack whenever conditions allow it?

Your correct. They can be added to the stack as an OPS card that doesn't get discarded.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben McGuire
United States
Parsons
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
More Questions:

1) does the "Only One TEK card can be played per player per turn" rule mean "only 1 Technology Card, Defensive Attachment, or Resource Attachment per turn" or "only 1 Technology (subtype -TEK) card per turn"?

example: can I play two resource enhancements in one turn?

2) can you only move units to adjacent Vectors using a single move action, even if no one is in the battle vector?

example: can I move two tanks from my stronghold vector to the enemy stronghold vector using only one move action if the battlefield vector is empty?

3) can you move into the battlefield vector then immediately declare a battle instance?

example: can I move an infantry unit from my stronghold vector to the battlefield vector and start battling with any enemy units there in my same sub-turn?

4) Linux Lexmada:

a) what happens when his attached unit dies?

b) can you not directly attack him, even if he is unattached?

c) unattached, does he count as a blocking unit, preventing attacks on his stronghold when defending his stronghold vector?

d) is he intended to always be in play / immune to discarding?

5) does stronghold population have a max cap?

6) Juggernaut - does the "must attack alone" and "units cost you more" only take effect when you use the OPT action to reduce damage to him, or are they always in effect as long as he is alive?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pruitt
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
1) does the "Only One TEK card can be played per player per turn" rule mean "only 1 Technology Card, Defensive Attachment, or Resource Attachment per turn" or "only 1 Technology (subtype -TEK) card per turn"?

You may only play one Technology Card per turn per player. So a card with the sub-type TEK can only be played once per turn per player.

example: can I play two resource enhancements in one turn?

Yes you can play two resource attachments per turn.

2) can you only move units to adjacent Vectors using a single move action, even if no one is in the battle vector?

You can only move units to an adjacent friendly Vector with a move action. So you can move from your Stronghold Vector to the Battlefield Vector and from the Battlefield Vector back to your Stronghold Vector.

example: can I move two tanks from my stronghold vector to the enemy stronghold vector using only one move action if the battlefield vector is empty?

No you have to move to the field first using a move Turn Action. Then you have to intiate a Battle Instance to move your Units into an unfriendly vector. Each of these takes a Sub-Phase.

3) can you move into the battlefield vector then immediately declare a battle instance?

example: can I move an infantry unit from my stronghold vector to the battlefield vector and start battling with any enemy units there in my same sub-turn?

Sort of, You intiate a Battle Instance targeting the enemy Units within the Battlefield Vector and then chooseing the Units you wish to include in said Battlefield Instance from either the Battlefield Vector or you Adjacent Stronghold Vector. You move all the Units which you targeted and are not in the targeted Vector to the targeted Vector and begin the Battle Instance with the first oppurtunity to use a Battle Action as the Attacker including all the Units that you targeted to participate and all your opponents Units/Commander that are in the targeted Vector are included as the Defender.

This is under intiating a Battle Instance in the rules.

4) Linux Lexmada:

a) what happens when his attached unit dies?

He is no longer considered Overlaying on the target Unit and the unit is sent to the WAR discard pile.

b) can you not directly attack him, even if he is unattached?

Correct He cannot be targeted directly or Indirectly at all. As he isn't there he is in Skycomm War Room relaying orders.

c) unattached, does he count as a blocking unit, preventing attacks on his stronghold when defending his stronghold vector?

No commander counts as a Blocking Unit. So no Linux never blocks damage to the stronghold. The Unit he is Overlain onto does count as a Unit still even though its stats are increased by his effect and thus does block damage to the stronghold.

d) is he intended to always be in play / immune to discarding?

Yes he is intended to always be in play / immune to discarding.

5) does stronghold population have a max cap?

Yes it is the printed amount on the card. Unless raised by another effect. No such effect exists at the moment.

6) Juggernaut - does the "must attack alone" and "units cost you more" only take effect when you use the OPT action to reduce damage to him, or are they always in effect as long as he is alive?

They are always in effect as long as he is alive and in play. The card real-estate wouldn't allow us to create a seperate line.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaelynn West
United States
Colorado Springs
CO
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'm confused as to when exactly I can play an OPS card? Would it count as a single turn action? Or at any time as long as the conditions are met?

I am also to understand that in a single turn action, we can choose to do a single action, unless we do the PRODUCTION ACTION turn (which allows for 3 additional actions). In other-words, if we choose the PRODUCTION ACTION as our only turn action (to play units, TEK, or attachments) we can't INITIATE A BATTLE ACTION or MOVE a unit in that same turn? Assuming that were correct, it would then be the opponents turn? I also see this in the long form rules (after the Anatomy Of A Turn section):

"This process is repeated until both players perform a “pass” Turn Action consecutively. Once both players perform a “Pass” Action consecutively, the turn is ended and a new turn begins."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I read this as; if player A starts the turn by using a PRODUCTION ACTION (by playing 1 UNIT and 1 ATTACHMENT for example), it would then proceed to player B, in which case, let's say player B already had a couple of units and instead decides to use a MOVE action to move his units to the battlefield vector, then play would proceed back to me? However, all this (player A's PRODUCTION ACTION and player B's MOVE action) would all be accomplished in one single turn, until we both decide to PASS, in which would end the turn? I ask this because of certain cards abilities that may take effect during certain "turns".

I hope that made sense. I've had the game for about 3 days now but have yet to be able to play it. I love the concept and it looks pretty fun, I'm just a little confused about some of the rules.

I think a simple turn-by-turn example played and exchanged between two players showing different aspects of the rules and game, would help tremendously =)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purge Player
msg tools
Been playing PURGE solitare style at first before taking it to my LGS and conjole my Magic buddies into giving it a shot. Just want to clarify a few things first.

1. Does moving a unit into a different vector count as an Action?

2. Does a unit need to be in the same vector to initiate an attack against another Unit or Stronghold? example: Does my infantry unit need to be in my enemie's Stronghold vector to attack the enemy Stronghold?

3. Is initiating an attack with 1 unit count as an Action? So, on my turn, I have 3 actions. If I attack with Eva X, a tank, an Infantry, is that 3 Actions? Or just 1 Action? Or no Action?

4. What the heck does Chronology do?

5. Is playing an OPS considered an Action?

6. Can a Unit that just came into play also move into a different vector that turn it came into play? (i.e. Does it have summoning sickness?). Can a newly created Unit move and/or attack the turn it came into play?

7. A unit that has multiple attacks... is EACH attack considered using an Action?

8. Is activating an ability that's on a TEK card using up an Action Point?

9. If I attack my opponent, and he responds with an OPS card or using a unit ability, does that count for one of his Action Points? Therefor, when it's his turn, does he have 1 less Action Point to use on his phase?

Thanks. That's all for now.

Cool game, btw..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Condon
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A full 'turn' consists of any # of sub phases taken in back-and-forth manner from each player. only when both players pass on consecutive sub phases do end of turn triggers get resolved (regaining attacks, healing on home vectors, removing floating effects, etc)

On a players sub phase, they may take EITHER 1 production action (playing a unit, tek, or attachment) OR they may play 1 turn action (moving units from 1 vector to another, initiating battle instance, passing, playing a super weapon etc). moving a group of units counts as one action no matter how many there are. they all have to be going the same place though

with battle instance, moving some or all units into the targeted vector is a portion of the battle instance(but not a prerequisite: you can initiate battle instance on field vector with only whats already there if you so choose). all units in that vector attack as a portion of that attack instance. all enemies in that vector are neccesarily roped into it as well.

in a battle instance, you use the attack # printed on units in back and forth fashion until they are all exausted/dead/retreated, but that is all a part of the same sub phase as the player who initiated it. they are not their own phases.

unit abilities, tek abilities and ops cards can be played anytime and are neither turn nor production actions.

chronometry is an unlockable ability that reduces the armor (or damage output; ill have to check) of a unit it damages by 1 as a floating effect until end of turn. it also stacks!

I know there was more, but im typing all this on my phone and thats all i can see right now

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pruitt
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
I'm confused as to when exactly I can play an OPS card? Would it count as a single turn action? Or at any time as long as the conditions are met?

Under Gameplay basics, Putting Cards into play: OPS cards can be played at any time as long as your able meet the conditions and pay the costs.

I am also to understand that in a single turn action, we can choose to do a single action, unless we do the PRODUCTION ACTION turn (which allows for 3 additional actions). In other-words, if we choose the PRODUCTION ACTION as our only turn action (to play units, TEK, or attachments) we can't INITIATE A BATTLE ACTION or MOVE a unit in that same turn? Assuming that were correct, it would then be the opponents turn? I also see this in the long form rules (after the Anatomy Of A Turn section):

Your correct you can only choose to do one Turn Actoin per Sub-phase. You are limited to a maximum per turn of three total Production Actions. A Turn Action is a usage of ONE Production action per sub-phase. So you can only play one Unit or Attachment or TEK per Produciton action subphase.

"This process is repeated until both players perform a “pass” Turn Action consecutively. Once both players perform a “Pass” Action consecutively, the turn is ended and a new turn begins."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I read this as; if player A starts the turn by using a PRODUCTION ACTION (by playing 1 UNIT and 1 ATTACHMENT for example), it would then proceed to player B, in which case, let's say player B already had a couple of units and instead decides to use a MOVE action to move his units to the battlefield vector, then play would proceed back to me? However, all this (player A's PRODUCTION ACTION and player B's MOVE action) would all be accomplished in one single turn, until we both decide to PASS, in which would end the turn? I ask this because of certain cards abilities that may take effect during certain "turns".

I'm not sure I understand the question here. Several Turn Actions take place during a turn like Intiating a Battle Instance, Moving Units and Producing Cards. This is done in a back and forth process with no particular ordering or limit on what Turn Actions are taken when other than the 3 maximum Production Actions. This is done till both players have exhausted all the reasources they want to spend and both Pass consecutively.

I think a simple turn-by-turn example played and exchanged between two players showing different aspects of the rules and game, would help tremendously =)

We'll see what we can do but time is at a premium of late.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pruitt
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
Michael does a very good Job of answering some of your questions but I'll go through and answer them myself.

1. Does moving a unit into a different vector count as an Action?

Yes moving a Unit does count as a Turn action and consumes your Sub-phase.

2. Does a unit need to be in the same vector to initiate an attack against another Unit or Stronghold? example: Does my infantry unit need to be in my enemie's Stronghold vector to attack the enemy Stronghold?

No, a Unit can either be in the Vector with the target or in an Adjacent vector to possibly be included. Under Battle Instances and Intiaiting a Battle Instance you'll see that you target a Vector and choose Units/Commander to particpate and move them to the targeted Vector to start a Battle Instance. You may not move Units/Commander into your opponents Stronghold Vector using a Move Turn Action you may only move them in as part of a Battle Instance.

3. Is initiating an attack with 1 unit count as an Action? So, on my turn, I have 3 actions. If I attack with Eva X, a tank, an Infantry, is that 3 Actions? Or just 1 Action? Or no Action?

Intiating an attack with Units/Commander count as a Turn Action and you may take unlimited turn actions per turn. If you were to Produce a Tank, Infantry, Attachment or TEK card it would count as a Production Action which you are limited to a Maxium of 3 per turn.

4. What the heck does Chronology do?

Chronometry: Units damaged by a source with Chronometry suffer -1 attack . This is considered a floating effect and is cumulative.

5. Is playing an OPS considered an Action?

No, Under Gameplay Basics, Putting Cards into play. All cards, with the exception of OPS, can only be played during your sub-phase. You cannot
play a Unit, TEK, Super Weapon or Attachment card during your opponents sub-phase. This means OPS cards can be played at any time as long as your able to pay the cost and met the conditions.

6. Can a Unit that just came into play also move into a different vector that turn it came into play? (i.e. Does it have summoning sickness?). Can a newly created Unit move and/or attack the turn it came into play?

Yes, during your Next Sub-phase you may Move or Intiate a Battle Instance with the Unit. There is no Summoning Sickness effect.

7. A unit that has multiple attacks... is EACH attack considered using an Action?

Yes EACH usage of an attack is considered a Battle Action. Thus after the usage and resolution of an Attack your opponent then has the next oppurtunity to use and resolve an Attack.

8. Is activating an ability that's on a TEK card using up an Action Point?

Nope, They are activated and resolved like an OPS card except they aren't discarded after the card is used.

9. If I attack my opponent, and he responds with an OPS card or using a unit ability, does that count for one of his Action Points? Therefor, when it's his turn, does he have 1 less Action Point to use on his phase?

No the usage of OPS cards, Unit Abilities and TEK Card effects does not count as a usage of a Sub-phase or Battle Actions. So if you use an Attack for your Battle Action and your Opponent uses an Unit Ability in response it will not consume his next Oppurtunity to use an Battle Action.

Cool game, btw..

Thnx
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher B
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Starting a battle, moving a unit and producing are all turn actions.
You take a turn action like moving, then your enemy takes a turn action, then it is up to you again.
When both of you pass the TURN ends.
so no. moving does not take up your whole turn. in fact you can move as often as you want during one turn. but your enemy can do something between your move actions.
you can only produce three times. everything else you can do as often as you want during one turn (always with reaction of your enemy in between).

Jets:
All units you declare to take part in a battle have to move to the zone the battle is in. the only difference with jets is that they can be moved into a battle from 2 zones away. all other units have to be adjacent to the battle to be moved in.

hope that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Condon
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright: It's Improvised InfoGraphic Time.

[--------------------A TURN--------------------------------------------]
[Start][SubPhase][SubPhase][SubPhase][SubPhase][SubPhase][SubPhase][END]

During the start of the turn, you raise your energy pools to their maximum. Afterwards, you figure out who has initiative. (Dead commanders have 0 initiative.)

In the event of a tie, flip a coin.
(this happens at the start of every turn, btw!)

The player with the initiative gets the first subphase to make ONLY 1 production or turn action.

THEN the other player gets to take a subphase, and on and on it goes like that, back and forth, playing 'subphases' (not turns!)

Once both players pass consecutively, the end of turn resolutions happen all at once (such as draining energy pools, ending floating effects, etc.)

THIS ENTIRE THING is a "Turn."

(totally appropriate to applaud right now.)
(Incidentally, I'm really wired right now. )

Off subject: what does 'enable public dice rolls' do?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Condon
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm... looks like there isn't a one to one relationship between the screen where you type and the format of what actually shows up once you submit your message.

Anyway, Im' sure you can add the appropriate amount of dashes in order to stretch the 'A TURN' graphic to the end of the 'END' portion of the graphic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Murphy
United States
Felton
California
flag msg tools
mb
countcb wrote:
Starting a battle, moving a unit and producing are all turn actions.
You take a turn action like moving, then your enemy takes a turn action, then it is up to you again.
When both of you pass the TURN ends.
so no. moving does not take up your whole turn. in fact you can move as often as you want during one turn. but your enemy can do something between your move actions.
you can only produce three times. everything else you can do as often as you want during one turn (always with reaction of your enemy in between).

Jets:
All units you declare to take part in a battle have to move to the zone the battle is in. the only difference with jets is that they can be moved into a battle from 2 zones away. all other units have to be adjacent to the battle to be moved in.

hope that helps.

Plus I believe that once Battle is over then the units go back to the Field Vector which means they have to be retreated then with a move back to your Stronghold.

I was wondering, you can move as many units as you want at once? Or does each need to be moved once at a time?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.