Dune» Forums » Variants

Subject: What Collection of Variant Rules do you use? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kyle K
Canada
SK
flag msg tools
Only interested in hearing from those who use the base game only, with only the base guilds. Nothing too kooky, so that its still Dune.

My Rules:
5-6 player dune. base game only. Base rules taken from
http://www.starbasejeff.com/dune_main.asp except as follows:
*Game ends at the end of the 10th turn.
*The special player specific karma abilities may be used
*May not pass messages or have secret talks away from table
*Carthag, Arakeen and Tuek's Sietch to collect 2 spice, 2 spice and 1 spice respectively
*No double spice or advanced combat(spice supported battles)
*Only the Atreides player may take written notes

House rules that are extra "iffy":
*When a player receives spice, the spice is not immediately available. It sits in front of your player shield and may not be collected or spent until the collection round. Spice received from bought tretchery cards and shipping costs must be paid in full and the receiving guild may spend this spice immediately.
*The Emperor and his allies may instantly trade spice amongst each other. It can be spent immediately.
*Fremen Allies may travel two spaces per move.
*Bene Geserit allies may only use The Voice if the battle location contains a Bene Geserit army.
*an optional imposed timer on auctions

The Harkonen Karma Power (swap cards) might be replaced with the one I made up in another post just now. I think that's it. If I think of more, I will add it to this list with an "edit:" tag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
*May not pass messages or have secret talks away from table

No way! Backstage negotiations are part of the fun! Especially once you make it clear that only public deals must be obeyed--secret deals are never binding! devil

Other than that, we play the way you do (none of those "iffy" house rules, though)--but we always play with the Harvest pre-game expansion!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Our group has only gotten in three games over the last year, so we're still working how we best enjoy the game. For the moment, we're keeping things pretty simple. We're using the Basic Game plus section XV (Additional Character Advantages), XVI (Weather), and XVII (Special Karama Powers), plus the usual house rule increasing the number of strongholds required for alliances to win the game.

Nothing in the Advanced Game seems very appealing, so we may never try those. Adapting the Betrayal cards from Rex might be worth a shot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle K
Canada
SK
flag msg tools
I think the rules say that public talks must only be obeyed if someone receives spice.

Secret talks and messages are fun, but with my group they often take too long, bear no fruit, and are no less enlightening to your enemies(the two people passing messages are out to get you). Treachery card bidding especially takes too long. Atredies looks up the card, tries to barter, writes and passes notes, for most cards. A simple, "Yes, you want it"(its a weapon/defence you don't have, or a useful special card) is faster and easier, yet still tells enemies little. Maybe my group is worse at bid-bluffing and guessing each other's cards.

My iffy rules are iffy. I've never played with them but I will next time. BG and Fremen alliance-usefulness needs some balance. Playing only trying to buy what they can afford speeds up the game so they don't beg Emperor and Spacing guild for money all the time.

I am now considering adding betrayal cards. link: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/761011/porting-over-rexs-bet...
I mostly want to undermining alliances, since they win more often than I'd like. I'm not sure I like the translated card conditions as applied to Dune.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn McMaster
Canada
flag msg tools

*Game ends at the end of the 10th turn. – Good change.

*The special player specific karma abilities may be used – Yes.

*May not pass messages or have secret talks away from table – The intent is helpful because away-from table conferences take up too much time. But this is also a key element to the enjoyment of the game. Maybe try another approach to the problem. What if you get one away from table conference per turn, and have to commit a leader (now unavailable for combat) to leave the table again? Something like that – just make away-from-table-talk another element of strategy that you have to invest in.

*Carthag, Arakeen and Tuek's Sietch to collect 2 spice, 2 spice and 1 spice respectively – Yep. I saw a variant over on Rex where each stronghold had an additional special power. I really liked that idea.

*No double spice or advanced combat(spice supported battles) – Right, why play chess when you can play checkers? :^)

*Only the Atreides player may take written notes – Yes. You might even let Harkonnen take notes if he captures an Atreides leader!

*When a player receives spice, the spice is not immediately available. It sits in front of your player shield and may not be collected or spent until the collection round. – Yes, this is used at the WBC and is recommended.

Spice received from bought tretchery cards and shipping costs must be paid in full and the receiving guild may spend this spice immediately. – Of course.

*The Emperor and his allies may instantly trade spice amongst each other. It can be spent immediately. – Yes, another WBC alteration that gives meaning to the Emperor’s alliance power.

*Fremen Allies may travel two spaces per move. – Like it, but don't expect such a minor change to 'fix' the Fremen…

*Bene Geserit allies may only use The Voice if the battle location contains a Bene Geserit army. – This is only a minor factor. It does not deal with the problem of the voice and play balance.

*an optional imposed timer on auctions – Haven’t ever found the auctions to require as such.

The Harkonen Karma Power (swap cards) might be replaced with the one I made up in another post just now. – I like the original more than the substitute. Note that play at the WBC is evolving towards treating the hand-swap as a higher truth trance priority than the residual or traitors. T/T can have quite a bit to say on handswaps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaude Thomas
New Zealand
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/76095/dune-a-rules-guide for some notes on what the rules as written entail, drawing on the available FAQs and interviews with the original designers.

starbasejeff has two rules files I think, one which is the original text and another which he modified slightly. I'm a resistance man: I prefer the original
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.