Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pierre-Yves Caron
Canada
Québec
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I already own The Castles of Burgundy and Macao and love them both. I want to get another Feld's design for my next game.

I would get Trajan but it is hard to find right now, so my choices are:

Roma/Roma II
Notre Dame
In the Year of the Dragon
Luna
Bora Bora

I will cross off Roma from the list since I already have great 2 player games. Luna and Bora Bora, same case as Trajan.

Which game, from Notre Dame or In the Year of the Dragon, will feel different enough from Burgundy and Macao? Replayability? Different path to victory? Fun VS player count?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure how painful shipping to Canada is from a US online store, but here you go:

http://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/Board%20Games/Trajan/Acc-HUCTr...

And starlitcitadel.com (Canada based) has it in stock too:

http://www.starlitcitadel.com/games/trajan.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bora, Bora won't be available until next year.

Otherwise, Notre Dame is awesome. And if you look under variants, you will find the "official" solo variant designed by user GameRulesForOne. Great solo game! Its great with any player count and the way the card draft works, it feels sufficiently different from his other titles. There are different ways to win and the possibilities increase quite a bit if you can get your hands on the 9 expansion cards.

Ive only played In The Year of The Dragon online. Very good game and very different from any of his other titles. The theme comes through better in Dragon than Notre Dame, but I find Notre Dame a tad more fun to play.

Ive played Trajan once. Fun game, but I felt like there were just too many ways to score.

BTW: The Alea Treasure Chest is where you get the expansion cards. It contains expansions to 7 ( I think) games. The Treasure Chest also has the expansion for In The Year of the Dragon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sechzger
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you have 2 of his 3 best games. I'd look somewhere else or wait for his new.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Levy
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Best hobby, with the best people in the world. Gaming is the best!
mbmbmbmbmb
How hard do you like your Feld? (There's a sentence I never thought I'd type!) Both Dragon and Notre Dame are excellent (and quite different from the other Feld titles), but Dragon is a very challenging and tense game that tries to hurt you at every opportunity, while Notre Dame is more accessible, more relaxing, and more forgiving. Both have high replayability, plenty of ways to win, and play very well with 3-5 players (although Dragon with 5 is particularly tough). You can't go wrong with either.

I don't know how readily available it is, but you might also consider The Speicherstadt, a very elegant and very tight auction game that only takes 15 minutes per player and packs a lot of game in that time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Larry Levy wrote:
How hard do you like your Feld? (There's a sentence I never thought I'd type!) Both Dragon and Notre Dame are excellent (and quite different from the other Feld titles), but Dragon is a very challenging and tense game that tries to hurt you at every opportunity, while Notre Dame is more accessible, more relaxing, and more forgiving. Both have high replayability, plenty of ways to win, and play very well with 3-5 players (although Dragon with 5 is particularly tough). You can't go wrong with either.

I don't know how readily available it is, but you might also consider The Speicherstadt, a very elegant and very tight auction game that only takes 15 minutes per player and packs a lot of game in that time.

2 player Notre Dame is very good, too!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre-Yves Caron
Canada
Québec
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the quick reply!

Shipping to Canada is quite expensive.... even from starlit citadel it is close to 15$.

I like tense games, but I also like card drafting and worker placement.

Notre Dame might have a slight edge because of its ease of play for medium light gamers.

I am glad both scale well with player count.

I know I'll get both eventually but always fun to ask.

I'll take a look at The Spiecherstadt. First time I hear about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:

Ive played Trajan once. Fun game, but I felt like there were just too many ways to score.

Pretty sure there is no such thing in my book.

That said, Trajan seems that way but after having played it a bunch, I am coming to the conclusion that there is only a few clear strategies for winning the game. So, while you can score many ways, some are clearly better than others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kamille
Germany
Berlin
F/hain
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If i look at your collection i´d suggest Torres instead of another Feld.

greets Hessi
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Colegrave
Canada
Comox
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Speicherstadt, but Trajan is good too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Forrest
Australia
Embleton
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Luna is an underrated game, in my opinion. I'd get that.

Notre Dame would be my second choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Garber
Canada
Vauxhall
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Strasbourg is definately worth checking out as well. A much better and more interesting game than The Speicherstadt imho.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CarlG wrote:
Strasbourg is definately worth checking out as well. A much better and more interesting game than The Speicherstadt imho.

+1 to Carl's comments. I can actually say that I think The Speicherstadt is his worst work. It's too one-demensional. The auction mechanic is interesting, but not interesting enough to carry the whole game--which it tries to do. I grew bored with it after four plays.

Seriously, Trajan is more available right now than it has been, and probably than it will be in the future. If it's the game you want (as you said). Now's the time. I don't see the price dropping, ever. It's too good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Liken
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Notre Dame gets more play than ITYOTD at my house, but I'd probably say that Dragon is more different from Macao and Burgundy than Notre Dame.

Notre Dame is one of my personal favourites, and has about the same level of player interaction as the other teo games that you have. ITYOTD feels more interactive and can be quite brutal - turn order is very important at times.

Both are very good games though. You are right that Notre Dame is better suited to a lighter group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hessi James wrote:
If i look at your collection i´d suggest Torres instead of another Feld.

greets Hessi

Torres...a gem that should be played more. Love that game. Only thing is, it is borderline abstract and the only abstract the OP has rated 8 or above is Hive. Not sure if he would like it or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
casualgod wrote:
pfctsqr wrote:

Pretty sure there is no such thing in my book.

That said, Trajan seems that way but after having played it a bunch, I am coming to the conclusion that there is only a few clear strategies for winning the game. So, while you can score many ways, some are clearly better than others.

Perhaps. But if I were to buy Trajan, it might take away what limited plays of Macao I already get. And I ain't goin there!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre-Yves Caron
Canada
Québec
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another good suggestions with Torres. A game I saw on the shelf but did not give it much attention. I'll make sure to take a look at that one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
manus trium
United States
tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I absolutely LOVE In the Year of the Dragon! So brutal at times and yet so fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Webster
United Kingdom
Leeds
Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
manustrium wrote:
I absolutely LOVE In the Year of the Dragon! So brutal at times and yet so fun!

+1 ITYOTD. Great fun, but definitely the most punishing Feld game.

If you like dice euros like Macao and Burgundy have you considered Troyes? It's up there for sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roel van M.
Netherlands
Tilburg
The Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I both like Notre Dame and In the Year of the Dragon. The first one is easier to play with new players and maybe a bit more "fun". In the Year of the Dragon is a mean game, but I like that. You can play In the Year of the Dragon online, here: http://www.silvermask.co.uk/dragon2.swf

Try it out. It's very good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Kunes
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You got to love these "What to get next" Feld threads. They make your head feel like it's going to explode.

Good news... I've got Macao, Trajan, and Notre Dame on my Wishlist. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.