The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game – Heirs of Númenor» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Deckbuilding for HoN rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin Mlodzkoski
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Our group of 3 played through the first 2 quests the other night. We did win…barely. I’m still tinkering with the builds and thought I’d share the cards “at the top of my list” currently for this expansion. Let me know if you have a combo I missed!

DAIN & A DWARF MOB

I tried building 3 decks with a single core set and all the expansions with no Dwarves. Prelim (solo) tries with these decks against the first quest was painful, very painful. I’m not saying it is impossible to beat the quests without this combo, but the stunties certainly pack a punch. Questing with swords is actually easier than WP with short legs because of guys like Gimli and the behemoth Erebor battle master. The dimunitive buggers also have decent shields to contribute when on a seige quest, with Dain himself packing 3. And of course they are quite capable of doing the “regular” questing and killing.

BEORN

This guy is one bad mambo jamo. With the number of enemies frolicking around, it is nice to have a beast capable of blocking all of them! The 5 axes can be used for questing when necessary but more often for walloping. The Beorning does have some drawbacks – it can’t be healed or be given resources (from Theodred or any of the new “shifter” cards) or donate a resource to Bifur so keep this in mind when deckbuilding. I found it funny that he couldn’t get the “local trouble” encounter attachment (raises threat when he does anything) because he can’t have ANY attachments...it’s as if the authorities are like “I ain’t gonna F with that bear.”

HAMA
His recycling of red events will serve you well.

EAGLES

Our flying friends are a welcome addition to this party. The Vassal is one cost for 3 axes and the Guardian is 2 cost for 4 shields; in the new quest types (battle/siege) you don’t have the “downside” of losing the Vassal or paying for the Guardian. Although expensive, I love the flexibility of the Eagles of the Misty Mountains and their growth mechanism is a bonus.

OTHER ALLIES MAKING THE CUT

After Dwarves and Eagles, I’m looking for Allies that have good flexibility for the lowest cost. The change from battle to seige to regular questing means that whatever I put on the board is going to need to be able to do at least two of these things and optimally all three. Here are my favorites:

COST 2

Defender of Ramas – The 1 hp is scary…BUT just…can’t…turn….down…4 shields for 2 cost

Hunter of LAMEdon – Another 1 hp guy but has great flexibility (1 everywhere)

Wandering Took - Still amazed a hobbit has a better statline than a Guard of the Citadel…

The Riddermark’s Finest – Seems to always make the cut ;D

Warden of Healing – In addition to heals, has 1 WP & 1 shield

Envoy of Pelargir – Ends up only costing 1 to get 1 WP & 1 Ax

COST 3

Dunedain Watcher – Helps with painful shadow cards

Eomond – Combo with Mutual Accord to ready the Gondorians also

Master of Lore – I hate paying 3 for 1 hp but this guy can boost an economy

COST 4

Northern Tracker – Never leave home without him

Faramir – His WP trick is uber; the 2 shields are welcome

ATTACHMENTS THAT AID THIS CAUSE

I’ll skip the ones that are economy (resources & card draw) focused:

Ranger Traps – Oh my this is a slick new trick!

A Burning Brand – Lots of nasty shadow cards

Song of Battle – If you decks aren’t “leaning” red, then you’ve probably already lost

Protector of Lorien – WP or Shield boost

Blood of Numenor – A new flavor of shield boost

Born Aloft – Love me 2 times…or 3…or 4

Self Preservation – Oh how I wish this could go on Beorn

Support of the Eagles – Costly, but can boost axes or shields

Cram – Yum

Asfaloth & Light of Valinor – If you have Glorfindel you want these

Unexpected Courage – all day and twice on Sunday

EVENTS

A Test of Will, Sneak Attack, threat reducers & others make all the lists. These are some you might want to dust off and use.

For Gondor! – All characters get the Ax, Gondorians get the shield also.

Feint – Ok this one makes most lists…but it is super uber

Thicket of Spears – 2 red heros and a song of battle…

Khazad Khazad, Lure of Moria & Heavy Stroke – standard issue for Dwarves

A Very Good Tale – optimally use with Gandolf when he readies at end of round

O Elbereth! Gilthonial – Mammoth problems? Solved…

Wealth of Gondor – A way to get you out of the gate fast

Mutual Accord – New Boromir, Eomond and For Gondor! are nice combos

Light the Beacons – These quests bring necessity to shields more than ever before. This noob is expensive but has to be considered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Garrett
United States
Campbellsville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're using Faramir to go find Faramir?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Mlodzkoski
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
dangmovie wrote:
You're using Faramir to go find Faramir?

LOL um....maybe he backtracked to help us find our way?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Hubenig
msg tools
mb
Still needs refinement. But I appear to be on track with two gusting decks of-

Legolas,elladan,thalin

Elrohir,dunhere,glorfindel

Elronds sons are a good buy when used together, problem seams to be getting past the first round of southerns in rti. I have not found a solution to that yet. But thalins wounding, with dunhere and hands on bow with legolas with a rivendale bow can do a number on enemies in staging area.

I can drop elronds sons, but all alternatives that appear viable are fairly pricey. Hamas and aragorn come to mind.

I will point out that thalin that wad really kind of so so even in dwarf decks, becomes pretty good for a cost of 9 as he effectively quests for 2 now in battle and siege. I am liking the way the bats become a freebee draw

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Hubenig
msg tools
mb
In rti anyways the ideal is to get off the road ASAP, MUST be done before first engagement turn, you always draw at least one enemy, and you just can't survive that first turn.

I have been trying with more heavy hitters, and that sonar has not been working.

My biggest fear with these decks is lack of healing. I will update with deck lists after a bit more refinement

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ys jo
msg tools
Dywnarc wrote:
the ideal is to get off the road ASAP, MUST be done before first engagement turn, you always draw at least one enemy, and you just can't survive that first turn.

My experiences are based on solo plays, not 3 player games, so it may be different, but for my approach for Ithilien (or quests with enemies in staging area at the set-up in general) is to give up questing, take care of enemies first.

I personally find it better to let that stupid Ranger objective ally to die, as it is so much easier to get 9 progress tokens on a siege quest than get 12 progress tokens on regular quest without engaging enemies.

By purposely choosing to do the Siege quest, you can replace Dunhere with Eleanor (I personally find her pretty much auto-include in 3 player game along with Thalin).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Hubenig
msg tools
mb
For a lot of quests I woudl agree about takign care of enemies first.

I do some solo play, but I get the most fun out of the game, playing solo, but with 2 decks. (I ran three hands of decks through Moria, but that was for the fun of having I giant dwarf army!)

So all my experience is with 2 decks.

I just had a paradim shift regarding RtI and tried this hero set up-

Legolas, Hama, Thailin

And GLorfindel, Dunehere,Theod

I decided to Quest HARD on the first turn, ignore enemies for the first turn and then use legoloas with hands on the bow, and a "hopefully" boosted Dunhere to thin down enemies in the stageing area.

Shocking it worked, and appeared to work very good. I lost, but I was only three progress off winning when I got threat killed with both decks.

That being said I had a few things going for me.

1) I was only over by 2 threat one on deck and 1 on the other when I hit quest 4. One less doom card, or a cancell at the right time, and I could have quested through it, which I think I could have done.
2) I made an error, but a hindsight one, if I let leogolas AND hama die, instead of just legoloas on the 2md to last turn, with one card drawn I had a shot at win if the encounter deck drew low on threat.
3) I DID not draw ANY threat reducing cards whole scenario, I liekd my starting hands and did not mess with them, and hoped to draw one or two, but it would not have taken much to have gotten to stage 4 with lower threat.

My main point I guess is that I beleive I am on the right track for a win with an aim to keeping threat low.

I have only had time to play the one time, so a little tiny bit more deck twitching and some more experience I think will make the difference.

Even though I liked my starting hand, I failed to draw well after that, I never got rivendale bow OR gondolon blades on legolas, failed to draw a treachery cancellation card, and never drew a Light of valinor.

Big weakness in my decks for this approach so far is I am worried about card draw. I have ancient Mathon in the blue/purple deck, and foehammer in the red one, but they didn't work out for me.

Oh BTW I had NO trouble getting 12 tokens by questing, in fact I slowed myself down by a turn to have time to get a few more allies out, which may have also been a mistake at the time.....

The reason is that the southern companies become threat one, and legolas and dunhere where taking out one Southern mercenary or Hardirm ellite every turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Hubenig
msg tools
mb

The bigest thing is that one way or another my last rounds of decks game me hope.

I had two play throughs before with some resonable successfull decks. and just bombed so bad it was depressing. I almost joined the camp of the "broken scenario" writers.

But my last run through with a new approach was three progess off from winning, and had only lost two heros at the end, one of them on the last turn. Even with the lack of healing my decks have they were doing alright.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ys jo
msg tools
Dywnarc wrote:
I decided to Quest HARD on the first turn, ignore enemies for the first turn and then use legoloas with hands on the bow, and a "hopefully" boosted Dunhere to thin down enemies in the stageing area.

Interesting to see someone taking entirely different approach to this quest.

I play with single deck and my approach could not be different from mine.

my heroes are Beorn/Eleanor/Elrond.

I give up quest for first few turns, until the play area is enemy free.
I also let Celador die on purpose as I find it easier to get 9 progress tokens on siege quest than 12 progress tokens on normal quest.

You should include some of these into your deck if you are having with card draws

"we are not idle" (purple event, 0 cost, draw 1 card, effecitvely replace itself and trim down number of cards in deck)
"Valiant Sacrifice" (purple event, 1 cost, draw 2 cards when a character leaves play, characters seems to leave a lot in this quest for me)
"Eagles are Coming" (Red event, 0 cost, searching top 5 card for eagle card, it can also draw itself; letting you draw quite a bit of cards if lucky)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Hubenig
msg tools
mb

I don;t have a full on eagle deck, but I do have enough that eagles coming should be worthwhile....

Problem is now I am trying to find a way to also sneak in those Noldor blades. That with the rivendale bow and Legolas can one shot a lot of enemies with "hands on the bow."

I will have a bit more time to play arround tonight, I will update with a deck list if I have some success.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.