Adam
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Hello,

I just received this game today and am reading through the rules for the second time now.

Page 4 of the rules states that when an Off Course Marker is drawn, the player to the left places my explorer onto an adjacent hex "in the Unknown (including a hex with a face-down Island Group that another player has Explored)."

The next sentence instructs the player to choose another Exploration Marker.

Three questions:
1. Does Exploration Marker = Discovery Marker?

2. If moved onto a face-down Island Group, would the player choose another Exploration Marker? It seems that they wouldn't, but rather proceed to the Special Exploring Situation rule for a face-down Island Group.

3. Under "Special Exploring Situations" it states a player may examine a face-down Island Group Tile if moved there by a Off Course result, at a cost of two Knots. Can a player refuse to do this? If so, is the player free to draw another Discovery Marker if they so choose?

Perhaps the answer to the third question also answers the second...

P.S. Can't wait to get started, it seems very interesting!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
1 - exploration marker is not = discovery marker

2 - no, you use the special exploration situation

3 - you cannot refuse

I love this game. One of my favourites.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin McPartland
United States
Jessup
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
Oliver Hazard Perry leader counter from Amateurs, To Arms! by Clash of Arms Games.
badge
Warrior Band counter for Conquest of Paradise by GMT Games.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the correct answers, Roger! And thanks for the kind words from both.

In multi-player games, I have seen alliances collapse in a heap over this issue! devil A third player will direct another player's Explorer into his ally's explored hex. Suddenly, the Exploring player wants the island group, too. Now the former allies are fighting each other over the island group! In fact, when I am choosing an Off-Course direction, I almost always send the Explorer into a third player's unrevealed island tile. And I never do this when it's my own! But note that in rare cases, you might not have a choice: when there are no other unexplored hexes adjacent to the Off-Course hex.

Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
leroy43 wrote:
1 - exploration marker is not = discovery marker

I'm confused. I'm not sure how that can be true. When I said "exploration marker" I wasn't referring to either the Explorer markers or the Discovered Island markers. Page 4 of the rulebook states, in reference to the new hex on which your explorer has been moved via Off Course "Your Explorer then Explores that hex, by choosing another Exploration marker." I don't know what marker that is if its not a Discover Marker.

leroy43 wrote:
3 - you cannot refuse

I see now this isn't refused. The use of the word "may" in the rulebook was applying to movement to that hex by choice and NOT by the Off Course effect, although the same sentence is explaining both by choice and Off Course so its not exactly clear on the subject.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin McPartland
United States
Jessup
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
Oliver Hazard Perry leader counter from Amateurs, To Arms! by Clash of Arms Games.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The idea is that on an Off-Course result, the Explorer can be moved to any adjacent hex that is unknown to that player. This can include face-down island group tiles that have been discovered by another player, and not yet revealed. As it says in the rules, any time an Explorer goes into a previously-explored hex, he places a two-knot Explored Hex marker in that hex, instead of drawing a chit. If you think about it, you couldn't draw an exploration chit- the hex has already been explored.

Hope this helps,

Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
KMcPartland wrote:
any time an Explorer goes into a previously-explored hex, he places a two-knot Explored Hex marker in that hex, instead of drawing a chit. If you think about it, you couldn't draw an exploration chit- the hex has already been explored.

Kevin

Aha! Now I've got it. The "Exploration marker" is the two-knot marker. Thanks Kevin.

I played a solo game with two tribes to get a feel for the game. It's great, congratulations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin McPartland
United States
Jessup
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad I could help! And thank you for the kind words.

Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.