Kevin Lui
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
My game group also often uses Pegasus as a damage sponge, so here's one possible simple tweak:

When Pegasus is destroyed, damage Galactica twice.

The goal is to keep the tweak as simple as possible, but install enough tension in the decision-making such that it is not always obvious to just let take the damage on Pegasus (well, it's not always obvious now, but it's often the case...). In fact, with this variant in place, even taking the 3rd damage token can be risky, as it provides the Cylons with another avenue to inflict multiple damage tokens on Galactica at one time.

I have no idea how well this would work. What do people think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Loke
Canada
Richmond
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
BUT MY DREAMS THEY AREN'T AS EMPTY
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow you are a mind-reader. I actually just thought of that fairly recently (you can ask oriecat! I told her!), and was going to put it in the next game I run. I think it's great because resources are balanced already and making a resource penalty for destroying Pegasus upsets the balance.

You are awesome! We are awesome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Lui
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Oh wow, that's awesome, we really need to be Geekbuddies!

And I really should try to join a forum game sometime...except I won't have the time. :soblue:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy G
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Mold the chaos into something beautiful
mbmbmbmbmb
I like it. I would also like to see "You can only target Pegasus if someone is on it".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam McLean
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've always just mixed the damage tokens instead of allowing people to choose which ship takes it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Loke
Canada
Richmond
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like that one, too!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hiahQ wrote:
My game group also often uses Pegasus as a damage sponge, so here's one possible simple tweak:

When Pegasus is destroyed, damage Galactica twice.

The goal is to keep the tweak as simple as possible, but install enough tension in the decision-making such that it is not always obvious to just let take the damage on Pegasus (well, it's not always obvious now, but it's often the case...). In fact, with this variant in place, even taking the 3rd damage token can be risky, as it provides the Cylons with another avenue to inflict multiple damage tokens on Galactica at one time.

I have no idea how well this would work. What do people think?

If you have no natural blue draws in the group, then losing Peggy might make things too painful to the point it may make it too difficult for humans to recover from. But I digress, that may be the point. I guess tweak it to damage Gal. once?

Only other variant I had was if u damage Peggy, draw from 5 tokens. If the 5th token gets drawn, remove the Galactica Fuel damage token and -1 Fuel. In our groups at least, a big part of damaging Peggy is hitting Fuel on Gal. can make loss by Fuel more likely.

Sub-tweak to this is draw 6 tokens instead... if it's one designated as Fuel, then same as above. If it's one designated as Food, remove the Gal. Food damage token, -1 Food, and immediately draw again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlo Gozzi
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
The truth is still out there...
badge
Ïa! Ïa! Cthulhu fthagn! Ph'nglui mglw'nfah Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fthagn!
mbmbmbmbmb
oriecat wrote:
I like it. I would also like to see "You can only target Pegasus if someone is on it".

Played it a few times already and it's way too harsh for the humans... you might as well give the cylons the win right away playing with this one

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vorpalgens wrote:
oriecat wrote:

Played it a few times already and it's way too harsh for the humans... you might as well give the cylons the win right away playing with this one
Is this with or without Exodus? With the CFB or without? The one thing that stands out about this statement is logically (and correct me if I'm wrong), when you play the base game which of course doesn't include Pegasus, then the humans would be losing all the time anyways.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neal T
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We're trying out a house rule next month called "Pegasus Vanguard"

What this means is that all damage is assigned to the Pegasus first. Galactica can only take hits once Pegasus is destroyed.

The hope for this is two-fold. One, it keeps the tension, keeps damage relevant. Second, it becomes much more like-the-show if Pegasus does blow up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Loke
Canada
Richmond
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd argue that it takes the tension out as everyone always picks Pegasus to hit anyway. No one really cares about Pegasus, especially if there's no destruction penalty.

If I were playing in your group, I'd never head to Pegasus because I'd probably be blown up. Which means it will always be empty. And then it would blow up and all the humans would be happy that nothing important on Galactica got destroyed and all the Cylons would be sad for the same reason.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
We put all the damage tokens into a small bag and draw them randomly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
schmloof wrote:
I'd argue that it takes the tension out as everyone always picks Pegasus to hit anyway. No one really cares about Pegasus, especially if there's no destruction penalty.

If I were playing in your group, I'd never head to Pegasus because I'd probably be blown up. Which means it will always be empty. And then it would blow up and all the humans would be happy that nothing important on Galactica got destroyed and all the Cylons would be sad for the same reason.
Only remedy to this is to play with newbies.... they haven't tried out Peggy yet, so they're more willing to repair her, or divert damage to Gal. instead on occassion

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In PBF games, it's not uncommon for players to use Pegasus locations for their effects (particularly pre-Sleeper) - if you have players on CIC and Main Batteries, suddenly there's a real choice - hitting Pegasus is rather more likely to send someone to Sickbay, and even if you miss the players, you make a misfire from CIC more of a threat...

Sure, there's not going to be many players out there who assign the third or fourth hit to Galactica while Pegasus is unscratched (unless they're a Cylon sitting on the damage reveal and hoping to strike it lucky), but there's a viable playstyle that avoids the whole "damage sponge" thing.

Ultimately, the cure for "damage sponge" may simply be to make more use of Pegasus while you have the opportunity - if you get the chance, hammering the Engine Room for the final jump is the difference between giving the Cylons the extra turns they need to finish you while you curse the Crisis deck for not giving Jump icons, and making a clean getaway, but that requires you to have invested in keeping Pegasus in space...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.