Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Colls
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Apparently my gift of Forbidden Island to my nephew was a huge hit last year, and my sister suggested giving him another cooperative game. I've run through the ones I know of, and the Crazy Couple's Cooperative Games list (awesome resource!), but have come away uncertain of what to select.

Thoughts:
He doesn't like to lose, so nothing terribly difficult (I gave Ghost Stories to an older nephew - that would bomb terribly with this one).

According to my sister, Pandemic would be too similar, and its theme, as well as that of Flash Point: Fire Rescue, wouldn't be enticing.

He's only reading The Hobbit now, so she didn't think Lord of the Rings themes would go far just yet.

I think a real time game would stress him out (which is a bummer, because he is a robot-y kid, and Space Alert seemed cool for him otherwise).

He is not a big gamer; he likes them very much but I'd say he hasn't had the opportunity to stretch very much yet. He's an only child in a not-particularly-gaming household.

Since he doesn't have a built-in gamer group to play with, I think something complex or not particularly accessible would go poorly.

I'm wondering if Castle Panic is the right level, or if Sentinels of the Multiverse would work. I was also Wondering if Hanabi would be a good (non-losing) choice but availability is an issue. Thoughts and other recommendations would be awesome. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory J
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SOTM could work, though it's a touch scarce right now. Other than that the list of options (or disqualifying criteria) seem to make for slim pickings. You could force him to read The Hobbit and LoTR a touch faster then get him the LCG?

I have little experience in co-op games otherwise. Good luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steve zhang
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Castle Panic is perfect for him.

SotM may be a bit overwhelming, since the modifiers and effects are very easily missed out. Maybe you can guide him along the way, and if he likes the superhero theme, it is very likely to be a hit.

How about the Dungeons & Dragons trilogy? They are pretty straight-forward, and there are minis which may appeal to kids his age.

Maybe you can ask him to see if he finds firefighters and saving people cool. I really think Flash Point is a very solid choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's very, very, very hard to be a 12 year old soloist.

I think that Pandemic will work great whatever your sister thinks. And he needs a game he can get his friends to play with him .... or worst case tempt others to be friends with him in order to play it.

Can you talk to your nephew? 10 minutes of talk will toss all our ideas into the mist with his concrete wants. On the theme of 'what did you like about forbidden island' would be a good one....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doe Gibson
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Sounds about right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
I adore Pandemic but it's not an option if he already has Forbidden Island - same designer - same design scaled down a little, IMO.

Castle Panic would be my recommendation - perhaps throwing in Castle Panic: The Wizard's Tower to make it more difficult (increase replayability) if it won't break the bank.

Flash Point: Fire Rescue would be my second recommendation. I think the gameplay will sort out any disinterest in the theme.

Hype wise: Mice and Mystics
I haven't played it.
It says 1 player 8+ but playing time of 120?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rev. Tony Melton
United States
Zeeland
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd go with Castle Panic and the expansion, Wizard's Tower. WT gives it the extra options it needs to be a solid choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
monkeyhandz wrote:
I adore Pandemic but it's not an option if he already has Forbidden Island - same designer - same design scaled down a little, IMO.

Castle Panic would be my recommendation - perhaps throwing in Castle Panic: The Wizard's Tower to make it more difficult (increase replayability) if it won't break the bank.

Flash Point: Fire Rescue would be my second recommendation. I think the gameplay will sort out any disinterest in the theme.

Hype wise: Mice and Mystics
I haven't played it.
It says 1 player 8+ but playing time of 120?

Ooops, did not know the same designer thing,

I made a bad recommendation there.

I like flash point, but still recommend talking to the man to find out his wants and so on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Millette
United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
God Bless the USA
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd have to recommend Defenders of the Realm. It's an awesome co-op that any 12 year old boy would like in my opinion. The only draw back I see in regards to your parameters is he's going to lose more than a few times, but he'll have a blast doing so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sentinels of the Multiverse, Legendary, Mice & Mystics, and Flash Point would be my picks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Lebowski
Germany
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
The Dude abides!
badge
yeah? well… y’know, that’s just like, uh… your opinion, man…
mbmbmbmbmb
Defenders of the Realm + 10
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
X Topher
United States
Highland
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While I really like Defenders of the Realm, at age 12 I would NOT have wanted to do the setup for it! Quite tedious.

Maybe walk him through a few games of Friday? It's fairly
compact and plays quickly.

Pandemic is another good one, a step up from Forbidden Island, but not as space consuming as Defenders of the Realm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Where were you hiding when the storm broke?
Philippines
Manila
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sentinels of the Multiverse can be fun, but the bookkeeping (HP, modifiers and stuff) can be annoying. It can be played solo if he's willing to put the effort into it (the first edition doesn't really play well with any number other than 4 heroes).

I personally like A Touch of Evil - it's not too complex for non- or casual gamers, has a great theme, has a cooperative mode, and can be played solo. It's got great replayability too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Essen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do Not know about availability but i played Star Wars: Angriff der Klonkrieger recently. I wrote a short review which you might want to check out. I wouldn't recommend it for adults but for kids it seems perfect if they like the Star Wars Theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Günster
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
doelion wrote:

Sounds about right.

Seconded. It's real time, but much less stressing than Space Alert, playable with less than five minutes of explanation and a lot of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Colls wrote:
and its theme, as well as that of Flash Point: Fire Rescue, wouldn't be enticing.
A young boy who doesn't like Firemen? Or is he too old for that already? Anyway it would be a great game.

I've also thought of Defenders of the Realm. I've never played it myself - only seen the Scott's presentation of it. But it seems to be one of the more thematic co-ops. Even with a bit of a role playing twist IIRC.

Hanabi is a great game in itself but it's quite the brain burner and feels somewhat abstract compared to all these other choices. If you don't feel like that would be a problem then you should definitely keep an eye out for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cheevers
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
koboldskind wrote:
doelion wrote:

Sounds about right.

Seconded. It's real time, but much less stressing than Space Alert, playable with less than five minutes of explanation and a lot of fun.

Thirded, You can play the base game a lot adjusting the difficulty before even introducing Curses and Treasures.

This has been a hit with everyone I've taught.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lacreighton wrote:
It's very, very, very hard to be a 12 year old soloist.

I think that Pandemic will work great whatever your sister thinks. And he needs a game he can get his friends to play with him .... or worst case tempt others to be friends with him in order to play it.

Can you talk to your nephew? 10 minutes of talk will toss all our ideas into the mist with his concrete wants. On the theme of 'what did you like about forbidden island' would be a good one....

QFT. Quoted for Truth!

I think you may be operating on too many assumptions here, including the assumptions your sister is making. Yeah, yeah, I know that moms should know what their kids are like ...

... but when I was 12 years old, I wanted things that I knew Mom wouldn't like and so I never asked her for it. Prime example: I wanted to get D&D, but my parents always steered me away from the sci/fi book aisle. So I knew I'd never get approval for buying the game. I had friends in school that played the game with me; and I eventually bought the game with my own money as my "elementary graduation gift" to myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Blaiberg
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Castle Panic & Defenders of the Realm as already mentioned.

Surprised no-one's mentioned Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game yet - strictly speaking its semi-coop, but playing pure co-op makes it easy which fits your request. Also, superheroes baby!

Also look into Elder Signfor die-rolling fun.

By the way, who will he be playing with?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Jones
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
As others have said:

Escape from the Temple Curse
and/or
Castle Panic but with the expansion--not by itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A O
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
if hes only playing solo, what about something like runebound? or the lotr lcg?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colls
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You all are awesome. I'm leaving for a trip tomorrow and won't be able to do quite as much research as this would warrant (and as would be a blast!), so I think I'll shortlist Castle Panic and its expansion and Escape from the Temple Curse for further research. And I'll expand to the other fantastic recommendations if necessary!

And to answer a recent question: he'll most likely be playing with me and two cousins over the holidays, his dad very infrequently at home, and perhaps some friends at school a few times if he can get them into it. (Apparently he's brought Forbidden Island for a couple game days there.) I'm not certain whether he'll choose to play solo or not.

Thanks for working within such limited parameters, everyone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunky Gamer
United States
Gardiner
New York
flag msg tools
badge
You and me...We're in this together now...None of them can stop us now...We will make it through somehow
mbmbmb
As a fellow uncle, the best rule for gift-buying (as well as advice giving and almost anything else you teach to your nephew) is that if you suspect it might annoy your sibling, you've made a good choice. Uncles are duty bound to buy drum sets, teach farting technique, and share details of their sibling's most embarrassing moments from childhood. It doesn't matter if these behaviors are completely out of character for you. Anything less and you are letting down the side.

It sounds like you will be teaching him whatever game you purchase? That's good. My 12 year old likes games, but the ones that work best are the games taught to him. If someone experienced takes him through the first couple of plays so that he is comfortable, he will then run with it.

One sort-of coop game that my son loves is Catacombs. That could be a really good fit. Dexterity games are just mechanically fun for a kid. If he is one of the player characters, at worst he loses as part of a team. If he is the GM, then you can tell him he is in charge of the game and isn't in it to win/lose.

Castle Panic worked well, although it doesn't get asked for anymore (about a year later). We don't have the expansion, but we wore out on the base game after about a dozen plays. (Hmm, maybe I need the expansion). Given your nephew's limited gaming opportunities, that is probably less of an issue. It is also a good choice because it is easy to teach. He's going to have to teach those cousins and friends and anything too complex won't fly.

Pandemic is a good one, but I agree with others who say that since you've given him FI already, I'd look for something else. I suspect Pandemic is going to seem like too much of a hassle to teach to his friends (it's not, but it just looks and feels that way).

I think that you've got some psychology to overcome:
1) No 12 year old boy likes to lose. Did you? Do you? Unless of course there is some actual condition at work, he'll get over it. That shouldn't be a limiting factor. Heck, sounds like it should be a requirement. Make it fun, make him want to win, and he'll come back.

2) As suggested by someone else, above, I suspect his mom is taking the easy route in offering her gift-buying tips. I've done it myself, recently, offering pearls of wisdom such as, "Oh yeah, another one of [insert whatever] is fine," and the always helpful, "Uh huh. That sounds good."

3) You can't generalize, but my son has never soloed a game. The closest he comes is reading through Summoner Wars faction decks. He'll shoot hoops, play Xbox, read, send text messages or watch TV before solo play ever happens.

If you want to look outside coop, say the word and I will tell you what games my son plays without me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colls
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just reporting back to say that Castle Panic and the expansion win the day!

And esirof, I'm not an uncle, I'm an aunt (without any desire to annoy my sibling, actually!).

About the winning or losing aspect, he is interested in games but then hates to lose (and generally does, because he's younger than the cousins he spends most time with). Losing deters him from wanting to play games much, and if he doesn't drive game-playing, it won't happen. It currently seems like I can have a formerly-interested nephew who is deterred from game-playing by his only child status and bitter losses to older and wilier opponents, or an interested nephew who enjoys games through the excitement of working as a team with those older cousins he admires so.

My 15-year-old nephew doesn't mind losing, and didn't at 12 either, fortunately. When he loses, he thinks about what he could have done differently, and when he wins, he tries something different the next time rather than getting stuck in a rut. So he's one of the people I enjoy playing with most. And my 8-year-old daughter has also successfully passed to the other side of a brief stage (at the age of 5 or 6) when she wanted to win every time. So we'll try to bring this nephew along at his pace....

Thanks for the comments and help, everyone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hansen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheRiddler1976 wrote:
Castle Panic & Defenders of the Realm as already mentioned.

Surprised no-one's mentioned Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game yet - strictly speaking its semi-coop, but playing pure co-op makes it easy which fits your request. Also, superheroes baby!

Also look into Elder Signfor die-rolling fun.

By the way, who will he be playing with?

+1 for Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game. One of the main complaints against it is that the pure coop mode is easy, but that might be a good fit here. The rules are pretty simple, and what kid doesn't like playing with Spider Man and Captain America?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.