Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just thrifted this game for $1.29 today, and find it to be complete but for two of the little entrance pieces.

I've never played the game, so if someone has experience with it, I'd like very much to know if those two pieces are important. Is it often the case that all 30 entrances are on the board, or is it more frequent for them not to be? Or is the total of 30 a limiting factor that can be a strategic factor equivalent to a housing shortage in Monopoly?

Any information or assistance would be appreciated.

meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Nesbitt
Canada
Ajax
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In almost all cases, you'll find that being short two entrances is not a big deal.

However, I recall playing this as a kid and losing them by the dozen. In this case, I just made up some entrances from some old cardboard sprues from other games and coloured them orange (I think) to match the ones that come with the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
otrex wrote:
In almost all cases, you'll find that being short two entrances is not a big deal.

However, I recall playing this as a kid and losing them by the dozen. In this case, I just made up some entrances from some old cardboard sprues from other games and coloured them orange (I think) to match the ones that come with the game.

Well it is good to know that I probably don't need those bits, though I'll probably get a couple sometime -- I like to have the "proper" bits for my games, and always have, but I was wondering just how important those little entrances were.

Thank you for the help!

meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Pressler
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
OMG! Overtext! How long have I been sleeping?! OVERTEXT! Also, I'm a DESIGNER now?! Sweet! OVERTEXXXXXXT!
badge
HO HO HO! Give me some money!
mbmbmbmbmb
There are thirty spaces with entrances on the board, which sets the maximum number needed for the game. Note that when there are two potential entrance locations on the same space, ONLY ONE entrance may be claimed. (That rule get overlooked sometimes.) As Kevin said, most games will not require 30 entrances. I think my set only has 29, and I don't explicitly remember needing a substitution, but we would have just grabbed a penny if we did.

Very nice thrift find! I have thrifted one US version and one French version. The US is quite a bit nicer, but when someone wants to pay $50 for something I paid $3 for, I can deal with the lesser. =)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GaryP wrote:
There are thirty spaces with entrances on the board, which sets the maximum number needed for the game. Note that when there are two potential entrance locations on the same space, ONLY ONE entrance may be claimed. (That rule get overlooked sometimes.) As Kevin said, most games will not require 30 entrances. I think my set only has 29, and I don't explicitly remember needing a substitution, but we would have just grabbed a penny if we did.

Very nice thrift find! I have thrifted one US version and one French version. The US is quite a bit nicer, but when someone wants to pay $50 for something I paid $3 for, I can deal with the lesser. =)

That penny on the board would drive me nuts! hahahaha! I've always been one to take very good care of my games, as is proven by how few entries there are in my "Want Parts" list (and one of those is joke). Heck, I still have my copy of Risk from when I was a boy (yes, the cards are on papyrus and the pieces are made of clay....) and have never lost so much as an army out of it.

I had a pretty dang decent day thrifting yesterday, picking up about 20 items (including a Binary Arts puzzle and a set of Michael Graves poker chips), and Hotels wasn't even the best thing I found! Far and away the best thing from yesterday is the rather rare Quantum Baseball, and my set not only is unplayed, it includes an expansion not mentioned in the BGG database!

meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.