Hide
5 Posts

Memoir '44» Forums » Variants

Subject: Sainte Mere Eglise scenario--3 Victory medals rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Allen
msg tools
Not sure why Sainte-Mère-Église scenario did not include Victory medals for the capture of this strategically important D-Day invasion objective so I made a house rule change to the scenario. I made each of the three Sainte-Mère-Église town hexes worth an Allied Victory medal if occupied. My Conditions of Victory for this scenario are also increased to 6 medals. This change makes the capture of Sainte-Mère-Église as important for victory as was the town's strategic importance during WWII. The rule change allows the Axis the option to either:

(1.) force the Allies to battle for the town (Allies would win 1 Victory medal per town hex they occupy, and up to 3 additional Victory medals if those three town hexes had been occupied by Axis units and the Allies both destroyed these units and then captured the town hexes). In this victory scenario, the town is both captured (3 medals) and the Axis forces diminished (3 units destroyed). Total 6 Victory medals and game over. Likewise, the Axis could earn Victory medals by recapturing the town hexes and by destroying Allied forces in the process of this Axis recapture;

or

(2.) the Axis could choose to retreat from Sainte-Mère-Église and cede to the Allies 3 Victory medals for moving in and occupying town (half the Conditions of Victory). While the strategic importance of the town is great, an Allied capture of the town without diminishing Axis units would not be a clear victory. Therefore, this Axis option would force the Allies to seek the remaining balance of 3 Victory medals in combat. Alternately, the Axis decision to withdraw from the town means they would need to destroy 6 Allied units away from Sainte-Mère-Église in a defensive war to win.

This change extends gameplay but adds some strategic depth to both sides.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Sainte Mere Eglise scenario--3 victory points
mallen717 wrote:

I think this is exactly why the scenario is how it is. The base game keeps things nice and simple to start with to enable "learn by playing" of the various aspects of Memoir '44.

Having said that, it does mean we can produce variants of more depth for the starting scenarios.

I may well try this one out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Husted
United States
East Hartford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it would be cool to revisit some of the basic scenarios and kit them out with actual TO&E gear for the units involved.

For instance, Instead of an infantry BN being just infantry, it would also have a mortar and an MG.

The towns (or other terrain of importance) would be part of the victory conditions as described by the OP.

In other words, interlace some of the expansion pack rules backward to some of the first basic scenarios to bring them up to speed.

Great idea with the St Mere Eglise scenario. I'll have to give it a try.thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I met Richard earlier this year we discussed having a massive D-Day event where the whole day (June 5/6...) would be played out on linked Breakthrough boards. If he ever has an event like that I'd definitely make the time to be there.

To achieve this I would imagine many of the scenarios and rules would need to be revisited.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Buckel
United States
Whittier
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mallen717 wrote:
Not sure why Sainte-Mère-Église scenario did not include Victory medals for the capture of this strategically important D-Day invasion objective so I made a house rule change to the scenario. I made each of the three Sainte-Mère-Église town hexes worth an Allied Victory medal if occupied.

Michael I played St Mere with your idea today in a solo game. My solo game rules are simple, I draw 3 cards and play the best one for my enemy then discard the cards. Drawing fresh every time, I don't have to plan for 2 armys and can just concentrate on my card rack. Anyway I liked your medal idea and played a couple of games today. I liked the change over all but it did tend to concentrate the battle in the center. As a result I'd like to offer a slight tweak to your rules which I played in my 2nd game; St. Mere has 1 medal in the center of the 3 hex town and the allies claim it as long as they hold 2 of the 3 hexes of the town. This keeps the town a central objective but doesn't bog down all troops at it's center. Thanks for posting this idea. It would be nice to see how these first scenarios could benefit from gamers such as yourself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.