Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan W
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me tell of my sad story that led to the situation that I am in today. It all started when I did a Google search on a boardgame named Pandemic and I found Boardgamegeek.com in June....

Then I found the MetaList for Auctions (Incedentaly now I am no longer a Colt's fan.)

Then one thing led to another and I downloaded the iOS version of Haggis. It was a ton of fun. I kept hearing/reading that it was somewhat modeled on Tichu.

Then I downloaded the iOS version of Tichu. (Which I now wish Haggis resembled.)

Creeeeek!!!!!!

That was the sound of Pandora's box opening. I've been addicted to the game since! I am in the unfortunate situation that my Paypal account is being watched by the FEDS. So I'm going to have to lay low for awhile.

I have a camping trip coming up in a week and I would love to purchase a copy of Tichu.

But... like I said the FEDS have me pinned down on the second floor and I'm surrounded on all sides of the Bank. I am in desperate need of help for the upcoming camping trip. I must teach my friends Tichu!!!

If you would so kindly send me a copy of Tichu by the 14th I would gladly pay it back, forward, upside-down, and back-around. In other words I would be indebted to you.

I'm just a good guy who fell on hard times. And I guarantee you will not see me step foot into that MetaList for Auctions, or shopping the Marketplace until I have met my word.

I will be good for it.

As a gesture of my goodwill to the BGG community I have posted and item to the 2012 BGG Supporter Badge Drive / Rummage-O-Rama Give-Away.

You may want to check it out if you are interested in winning a $25 iTunes card.

Here is the link:Item for Geeklist "2012 BGG Supporter Badge Drive / Rummage-O-Rama Give-Away - Free Games (some with Free Worldwide Shipping) - Maybe win a boardgame hotel stay in Greece or a subscription to the English edition of Spielbox?"

If I don't hear back from anyone on this cry for help I suppose I will just have to be patient and wait...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Beasi
United States
Easthampton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a used set of maroon-backed cards that you could have, along with an instruction manual (there are better resources online for rules, though). No box. If you want it, it's yours. They are used but certainly still playable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Robino
Italy
Dueville
Vicenza
flag msg tools
"I'm a Nay Saying worm beast!"
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Uneyed wrote:
If you would so kindly send me a copy of Tichu by the 14th I would gladly pay it back, forward, upside-down, and back-around. In other words I would be indebted to you.

Alternatively, you can always use a regular poker deck. Just use the deuces as special cards (for example: diamonds=dog, clubs=mah jong, spades=phoenix, hearts=dragon), and reduce by one the card limit to call Grand Tichu (since you have one card less in your hand).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan W
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
seqiro wrote:
I have a used set of maroon-backed cards that you could have, along with an instruction manual (there are better resources online for rules, though). No box. If you want it, it's yours. They are used but certainly still playable.

That would be awesome! Hopefully that sweet patina will bring more bombs my way! It will forever and always be our camping deck!

Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan W
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Paolo Robino wrote:
Uneyed wrote:

Alternatively, you can always use a regular poker deck. Just use the deuces as special cards (for example: diamonds=dog, clubs=mah jong, spades=phoenix, hearts=dragon), and reduce by one the card limit to call Grand Tichu (since you have one card less in your hand).

I know it a sad and silly thing to see a Geek resort to posting a Wimpy thread. Thanks for reading. I appreciate your suggestion for the Hoyle modification idea! I'm sure that it will come in handy! I may just have to do that for the camping trip.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Beasi
United States
Easthampton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Uneyed wrote:
seqiro wrote:

That would be awesome! Hopefully that sweet patina will bring more bombs my way! It will forever and always be our camping deck!

Thank you!

You're welcome! The deck is on its way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan W
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't been a part of any other online forum that makes you feel like you are part of a community quite like BGG!! And....

I just wanted to let you know that I've posted another item to the 2012 BGG Supporter Badge Drive / Rummage-O-Rama Give-Away.

You may want to check it out if you are interested in winning a copy of The Princes of Florence.

Here is the link:Item for Geeklist "2012 BGG Supporter Badge Drive / Rummage-O-Rama Give-Away - Free Games (some with Free Worldwide Shipping) - Maybe win a boardgame hotel stay in Greece or a subscription to the English edition of Spielbox?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since your request was answered I don't mind hijacking.

Quote:

Then I downloaded the iOS version of Tichu. (Which I now wish Haggis resembled.)

I'm a bit confused by this statement. I've played Haggis a bunch but Tichu only once or twice. While the games play quite differently I would definitely say that they resemble each other. Not identical by any means but there are a lot of close similarities. I'm curious why you think there aren't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan W
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kvenosdel wrote:

Quote:

I'm a bit confused by this statement. I've played Haggis a bunch but Tichu only once or twice. While the games play quite differently I would definitely say that they resemble each other. Not identical by any means but there are a lot of close similarities. I'm curious why you think there aren't.

I was speaking to the the iOS implementation of the game. I wish that the Haggis implementation resembled the Tichu one.

By the way I got my cards in the mail today. They will make it for the camping trip!!!! Thanks a billion Paul!!!!

Tihcu!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Uneyed wrote:
kvenosdel wrote:

Quote:

I was speaking to the the iOS implementation of the game. I wish that the Haggis implementation resembled the Tichu one.

By the way I got my cards in the mail today. They will make it for the camping trip!!!! Thanks a billion Paul!!!!

Tihcu!

Ah IC. Have a good camping trip! I have an upcoming one as well but due to my location it will take place in a heated ice shack on lack Mille Lacs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Beasi
United States
Easthampton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Uneyed wrote:

Tihcu!

Glad to help. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan W
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kvenosdel wrote:
Uneyed wrote:
kvenosdel wrote:

Quote:

Tihcu!

Ah IC. Have a good camping trip! I have an upcoming one as well but due to my location it will take place in a heated ice shack on lack Mille Lacs.

May you have a cozy time. Are doing some ice fishing or writing a new album ala Bon Iver?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Langewisch
United States
Englewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
www.ludolodge.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Paolo Robino wrote:
Uneyed wrote:

I would recommend using Aces as the special cards rather than Deuces. Removing the 2's takes away the possibility of a straight beginning with the Mahjongg, while taking away the Aces simply makes Kings the highest card, not changing the dynamic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Chunko
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
Twos are better because they change how you evaluate your hand the least. And unlike the other three specials, you can leave the mahjong unchanged as a 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Beasi
United States
Easthampton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally my feeling is in all of these cases, you aren't actually playing Tichu.

I'd say just buy either a deck of a cards that comes with 4 jokers or buy two cheap decks of cards that come with 2 jokers and then mark up the jokers with a sharpie for the specials.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
seqiro wrote:
Personally my feeling is in all of these cases, you aren't actually playing Tichu.

I'd say just buy either a deck of a cards that comes with 4 jokers or buy two cheap decks of cards that come with 2 jokers and then mark up the jokers with a sharpie for the specials.

Or if you're tearing apart a second deck anyway, don't bother to restrict yourself to jokers, and make use of all that whitespace on low-pip cards to make sharpie drawings.

Legendary wrote:
taking away the Aces simply makes Kings the highest card, not changing the dynamic.

Making the 10-point Kings into the boss rank and thus more likely to take tricks *is* changing the dynamic. If you were to insist on making Kings the boss rank, I would suggest you make the Queens the ten-point cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan W
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
seqiro wrote:

I really liked these:

I'd love to see more like them with the following themes:

James Bond

The Godfather

Inception

Indiana Jones

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.