Subject: Major changes between Finale and Tooor! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bob Scherer-Hoock
United States
Topsfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
This is not intended as a comprehensive point-by-point comparison of the two games, but rather a broad sweep of the major differences.

The basic game system of Finale and Tooor! are identical: Two players each determine the lineup of their soccer/football team, then each round play a tactics card, resolve who has a strength/fitness advantage that can possibly lead to a goal.

In Tooor! the options to achieving this end are greatly reduced, hence the game's rating for ages 8 and up versus its forerunner's 12 and up.

Lineups: In Finale, players choose their lineups from 30 cards. Each card has a point value and an assigned position, and a team of 15 footballers (11 starters and 4 subs) is selected from the 30 cards with a total point value not to exceed a certain number. In Tooor! there are only 11 footballer tiles, so a player's only discretion is which position to assign each player among attack, midfield, and defense (one goalkeeper is specified on the tile). Players have suggested starting positions that are recommended for the first game, but experienced players may select starting positions and formations.

Tactics cards: In Finale there were a total of 30 tactics cards, six each in five different colors. Each color represented a different style of play, and players chose two of the colors to make a deck of 12 tactics cards for the game. In Tooor! there are only six tactics tiles, which each players uses each game.

Attacks: In both games the player, in a round, who plays the tactics card with the highest rating goes on the attack. In Finale, the player who played the highest-numbered tactics card gets a number of attacks equal to the difference between the two tactics cards. Additional tactics cards are played for the additional attacks. In Tooor!, the player who played the highest-numbered tactics card gets one attack.

Succssful attacks: In both games, the attacker gets a shot on goal after a successful attack, defined by the player who has the greatest number when the strength ratings of all footballers involved in the attack plus a die roll are compared to the strength ratings of all footballers involved in the defense plus a die roll. In Finale, an attack is successful if the attacker's number is equal to or greater than the defender's. In Tooor!, the attacker's number must be greater for the attack to be successful.

Counterattacks: In both games failure to make a successful attack leads to a counterattack by the defender. The design of the tactics cards is different between the two games. In Finale, there is a right-left setup on the tactics cards that determines footballers used in a counterattack. In Tooor!, the bottom of the tactics card determines footballer used in a counterattact. (In Finale, the bottom of the tactics card was used to determine the footballer who would take the shot in a successful attack; in Tooor! the shooter is selected from among the footballers involved in the successful attack, or any forward may be used.)

Events: In both games footballers may receive yellow cards, red cards, and injuries as the footballer cards/tiles are rotated following their use in play. In Finale, a roll of the scoring die determines if these events take effect. In Tooor! there is a special die rolled to make this determination. In Finale, an injury means a footballer must leave the game and be replaced by a substitute. In Tooor!, and injury reduces a footballer's strength rating, as there are no substitutes.

Gender: In what must surely be a major change for marketing purposes (after all, Germany is the current holder of the Women's World Cup), women footballers are included in Tooor!. These are on the reverse side of the male footballer tiles. The strength ratings are identical on either side of the tile, so playing a male team or a female team or a mixture of the two has no effect on game play.

Components: Both games have a small gameboard to keep track of score and time. Tooor!'s gameboard is two-sided, with extra time played on the flip side. Both games use cardboard chits to mark yellow cards, injuries, time, score. Finale uses cardboard chits to mark footballers active in an attack, while Tooor! has wooden cubes for this purpose. Tooor! includes a third die used for event outcomes. Tooor! also has cardboard arrows to mark the footballer's positions (forward, midfield, defense lines), which are marked on the footballer's cards in Finale. As mentioned, Finale has standard playing card stock for the footballers and the tactics cards; Tooor! uses thick tiles that are the same weight as the small gameboard for these.

And, oh yeah, Tooor! includes a small working referee's whistle, used to keep time on the gameboard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Which is the better game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Scherer-Hoock
United States
Topsfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Functionally, they're the same game. Finale contains a lot more that would appeal to the person who is heavily into soccer/football tactics. It tries to be more of a simulation. Tooor! strips the system down to its bare essentials and plays much more quickly. For that reason it will hit the table more than Finale (actually, it will probably replace it).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My copy is en route from Germany. Now all i need is an English rule translation!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
I spent 100 Geek Gold and all I got was this lousy overtext message!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
For that reason it will hit the table more than Finale (actually, it will probably replace it).

Interesting theory. The main reason I didn't buy the game in Essen was because of its simplicity and lack of choices when compared to Finale. I would think that Tooor! would make a great intro game for Finale. Once the former gets stale you'll be ready to move onto Finale and have all the game mechanics down. For a fast and fun game with good soccer flavor I like Die Wilden Fusballkerle with the expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
Nearing Weathertop
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Bob. I saw the game at Essen, but couldn't cross the language barrier to find out if it was a straight reprint of Finale. It certainly looked like it was, so I didn't pick it up. I'll keep hugging Finale for the time being :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Scherer-Hoock
United States
Topsfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
GeoMan wrote:
My copy is en route from Germany. Now all i need is an English rule translation!

I submitted an English rules translation along with the original post in this thread. Hopefully it will appear soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Scherer-Hoock
United States
Topsfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Walt Mulder wrote:
Quote:
For that reason it will hit the table more than Finale (actually, it will probably replace it).

Interesting theory. The main reason I didn't buy the game in Essen was because of its simplicity and lack of choices when compared to Finale.

Of course, the question of which is the better game is a personal decision. I'm sure the far more numerous options in Finale will appeal to many. Clearly Tooor! is hoping to hit more of a mass market.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
Nearing Weathertop
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Counterattacks: In both games failure to make a successful attack leads to a counterattack by the defender. The design of the tactics cards is different between the two games. In Finale, there is a right-left setup on the tactics cards that determines footballers used in a counterattack. In Tooor!, the bottom of the tactics card determines footballer used in a counterattact. (In Finale, the bottom of the tactics card was used to determine the footballer who would take the shot in a successful attack; in Tooor! the shooter is selected from among the footballers involved in the successful attack, or any forward may be used.)

Slight correction - the bottom of the tactics card in Tooor! is the players the defender needs to use to block the current attack. If a counter attack occurs, the card the defender played at the beginning of the 15 minute period is used to choose the players in the counter attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.