Christopher Paul
United States
Seattle
WA
flag msg tools
badge
man lying down on job voluntarily
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to know if the cards are redundant with the book encounters. The rulebook states you can mix the decks and play both. Is there any value in this or should I just stick with using book? In other words, do the cards add enough to lower the overall odds of using the book?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Wasson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
DAD JOKES
badge
Never trot when you can prance.
mbmbmbmbmb
The messaging makes it sounds like the card encounters are not included in the book. So it seems like it would be cool to find a way to use both of them. There's a lot more variety within each physical card of the book deck, so mixing them straight will oversaturate the game with card encounters. My plan is to use just the cards instead of the book for a fraction of my games to get to see the stuff on them and mix it up.

An alternative if you want relatively equitable access to all of the encounters is to roll a d6 before you have an enounter. If it's a 1 use the cards, else use the book. Another idea is to shuffle up the card encounter deck and peel off a few cards for each region to shuffle into their respective book encounter decks. My estimate is that 2 card encounters in each book encounter deck should give you the closest to equal chance to see any given encounter. The only problem is this breaks for ocean encounters, since they don't have a book encounter deck for some reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Assuming the card encounters are not also in the book, I think your decision comes down to how much you like using the Reaction Matrix. From my perspective, using the Matrix allows players to "role play" their character more. Even though the encounter you get is still random, your reaction choice should tie in nicely with the encounter you get, so it feels like your influencing your character's success. Also, by always choosing reactions that align with your strengths, you should hopefully get skill tests that also align with your strengths.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.