Popular Tags: [View All]
Christian Na
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Poll: Favorite Hero and Class Combo?
2nd Edition core set only.
Which Hero and Class combination is your favorite of the Descent 2nd Edition base set?
Avric Albright + Disciple
Avric Albright + Spiritspeaker
Ashrian + Disciple
Ashrian + Spiritspeaker
Tomble Burrowell + Thief
Tomble Burrowell + Wildlander
Jain Fairwood + Thief
Jain Fairwood + Wildlander
Syndrael + Berserker
Syndrael + Knight
Grisban the Thirsty + Berserker
Grisban the Thirsty + Knight
Leoric of the Book + Necromancer
Leoric of the Book + Runemaster
Widow Tarha + Necromancer
Widow Tarha + Runemaster
      100 answers
Poll created by dcjoker

Sorry about the format this is my first poll on BGG. This poll is just out of curiosity. Not talking about which you think is necessarily the best combo but which one is your favorite to play?

Mine is Leoric of the Book as Runemaster.

edit: I'm also even more curious as to why each of you chose the way you did and would love to hear your reasons/stories.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
A very similar poll can be found here. Granted, that one specifies "most useful" and your poll specifies "favorite," but I don't expect the results will be much different (Avric the Disciple wins out hugely).

Personally, I can't say which is my favorite, because in our first campaign, I played Overlord, and in our second campaign that we've just started, I'm playing Mad Carthos (from the Conversion Kit) the Runemaster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Na
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks Darren. Your responses are always really helpful. You are like a descent 2e forum guru lol.

My very first game with my friend I played as necromancer Leoric and really liked it but realized early on that he probably wouldn't scale as well as the runemaster. In later campaigns I tried the runemaster and although I really missed the reanimate at first I learned to love the runemaster's skills (namely ghost armor and rune mastery). Now that I've read Adam Sadler's response that ghost armor has no use limit per attack I think it is even better bordering on ridiculous with Leoric's ability.

Note: I should mention I also played the necromancer incorrectly at first... thinking I could activate the reanimate then activate Leoric - use Fury of undeath to activate the Reanimate then cast Raise dead again and activate the renanimate again - for a total of 3 attacks with the reanimate - albeit at a cost of several fatigue on Leoric. I read somewhere recently that I can't do that.

Runemaster Leoric so far in all of my campaigns has been really awesome. He does massive damage and his feat can be pretty amazing (especially as a runemaster). Also I think he has one of the best passive abilities in the game. Having 5 fatigue is great. I think his only drawback is his 1 might and 2 willpower but he kind of makes up for that with his 5 knowledge and 3 awareness.

Last time we played Descent my friend was playing as Berserker Grisban the Thirsty and I was running Runemaster Leoric against our other friend playing Overlord. We did Castle Daerion as our third Scenario and won thanks to Leoric's ability. Had it not been for Leoric sir Palamon would have surely died. He was only at 2 or 3 hp remaining and Leoric's ability mitigated at least 5 or so damage.

On top of that Leoric has rune mastery and Grisban has weapon mastery. We won not by waiting out the militia but by killing all of the master monsters in a single turn. We were putting out such massive amounts of damage it was jawdropping. The overlord figured out what we were trying to do fairly early and he still couldn't stop us.

We got fairly lucky on our searches though and found two treasure chests one containing the manaweave (I know lol best item in act 1) and the other containing immolation. After Daerion we also bought Grisban the Iron Battleaxe. This so far has been the most fun 2 hero campaign I've played even though earlier we did lose cardinal's plight (not even close) and the fat goblin (really close).

My only dilemma now is whether to take iron will right now, or ghost armor + rune blast, or wait for quick casting. Currently I'm leading toward waiting for quick casting till after iron will but still not sure if I should get ghost armor and rune blast before iron will or vice versa.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
dcjoker wrote:
Thanks Darren. Your responses are always really helpful. You are like a descent 2e forum guru lol.

I waste spend a lot of time here while I'm at work.

Leoric's Hero Ability is really good. I was Overlord for the last campaign that had Leoric in it, and it frustrated the hell out of me because the group always stayed together so it was basicall -1 to all of my attacks all of the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Steward
United States
Kent
WA - Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Leoric as the Necromancer. His passive makes it so both him and his necromancer take less damage. This is a great synergy whereas Widow almost makes a better runemaster based on her passives.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pygmy shrew
msg tools
It's pretty obvious that disciple wins, I was just surprised that it's the otther blue hero. I use Ashrian. I still need to try the green deck that lets me discard OL cards, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.