Popular Tags: [View All]
Alan Barrett
United Kingdom
Hessle
East Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm finalising the events tables for each of the five 'decision points' on my 'Take-Off and Assembly' card (file available). Something happens only on throws of 1-1, 2-2, 3-3, 4-4, 5-5, and 6-6 using 2xd6. What happens is resolved for all five aspects by a further table, with 11 possibile 'slots'. Most events are relatively minor niggles or near-misses rather than mission-compromising in their entirety. Worst-case scenarios - mission aborts, crashes and death - are reserved for rarer throws, such as 2 or 12 on 2xd6. Other throws have 'flavour' descriptions attached but no long-term game consequences - such as an engine 'coughing' but recovering, a messy bird-strike, a strange noise from the bomb bay area.....I'd welcome any suggestions (about this!). What things could/should occur?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael white
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I like this idea.....I always roll for take-off as per earlier "rules" but a finesse to these like you are suggesting is a good idea.
I am not well informed about take off and formation problems so I will leave it to you and others to incorporate them.
BTW I always roll (2d6) for mechanical problems(6-6) every Zone.Occasionally I get difficulties.It is a tense dice roll.
Keep flying.thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Barrett
United Kingdom
Hessle
East Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dingers wrote:
I like this idea.....I always roll for take-off as per earlier "rules" but a finesse to these like you are suggesting is a good idea.
I am not well informed about take off and formation problems so I will leave it to you and others to incorporate them.
BTW I always roll (2d6) for mechanical problems(6-6) every Zone.Occasionally I get difficulties.It is a tense dice roll.
Keep flying.:thumbsup:

Thanks. Don't know if you've seen the take-off/assembly file - I think there's an image of it, too. Thanks again for the encouragement! By the way, the literature suggests that such hazards were VERY real and fairly frequent - weather conditions, over-loaded a/c etc. One pilot goes so far as to say that take-off and assembly was more hazardous than flak (but I don't know about that - maybe he was just unfortunate).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Barrett
United Kingdom
Hessle
East Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

"The dangers began on take-off, when planes set off down the runway with a full load of bombs and fuel. Some failed to gain height and crashed on take-off. Once in the air large numbers of planes from different local bases were climbing to take up and then maintain close formations; these gave mutual protection but brought a real risk of mid-air collision."

http://americans.sudburysuffolk.co.uk/the-heavy-price-of-lib...

Anybody out there any idea which causes/categories of early mission problems there were - fatal and non-fatal? I'm trying to get a comprehensive overview. How dangerous, statistically, was take-off and assembly? I'd appreciate any insights into this. Thanks - Al.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Barrett
United Kingdom
Hessle
East Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is going to be done with a card draw and tables for each of the 5 phases of the Take-Off and Assembly stage of the mission. In each phase, a player running a squadron/group solo game will select one card in each phase. Only if the card matches with the phase AND a double is thrown on 2d6 will there be an incident for the squadron (not necessarily the player a/c). Fatal incidents or mission-enders at this stage will therefore be fairly rare - but quite possible, just to keep you honest! I've uploaded the card deck (15 cards) I'm going to use. The tables will follow soon. - Al.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Barrett
United Kingdom
Hessle
East Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does this give any indication of possible causes of accidents/aborts on take-off/assembly?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Barrett
United Kingdom
Hessle
East Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My final ideas for the shape this phase takes are now included in the Group Mission pdf, now uploaded. - Al.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AMOS BURKE
United Kingdom
WALSALL
WEST MIDLANDS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Roll in zone 1 out bound and in bound 2D6 6,6 roll on B-7 random event

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.