Popular Tags: [View All]
Sergio Torres
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I'm painting my Descent minis (http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/888734/my-painted-minis) and I'm thinking about removing the round bases and use Citadel / Games Workshop square bases.
I use square bases as my basing standard in my collection of 28mm fantasy minis, and I would like to make the Descent minis more cohesive with my existing collection.

I would use small bases for heroes and antropomorphic enemies, monster bases for big enemies, and cavalry bases for the barghests.

Do you you think I could be reducing the playability of the game with this? Do you feel I would be spoiling the game by doing this?

I don't want to spoil the collector side of my Descent minis, but I would like to integrate them in my collection, and I don't know what to do... hmmm...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Areinu
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen photos here on BGG of 1st edition monsters with citadel bases and some of them were placed on the game's tiles. Looked perfectly playable for me. Maybe even more playable, because normal bases tend to bend even after using hot water fix.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Munch
Denmark
Lystrup
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If a base fit on a square field on the playboard, then go for it.

I would be too scared to damage my minis, by removing the small bases that they have now..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
garrapeta wrote:

Do you you think I could be reducing the playability of the game with this? Do you feel I would be spoiling the game by doing this?

I actually did exactly the same thing for my Doom minis (another, much older FFG title that uses a precursor of the Descent game engine.)

Swapping out the bases won't impact playability at all, as long as you're careful to give monsters new bases that match their old dimensions, for mechanical purposes. It doesn't spoil the game at all, especially if you're planning to paint the figs as well - they'll look beautiful, trust me.

The drawbacks of doing this are three-fold:
1) It's a lot of hard work to cut off the old bases. You may not think it would be so hard since they're made of soft plastic, but it ain't easy. Particularly when working with figures who have long flowy robes and other irregular details down near their feet. It can be done, it just takes time and patience to avoid cutting into the actual figure.

2) After you've cut off the majority of the base, you need to "shave off" the bottoms of their feet to level them with the intended bottom of the mini. This can sometimes be tricky to judge exactly when to stop.

3) The Big One. Reattaching the figure to the new base. Whatever plastic these guys are made of, it doesn't stick very well to the harder plastic Citadel uses for their bases, even with modeling glue. You'll definitely want to pin the figures to the base to make sure they stay put. If you're experienced with pinning, you can probably handle this task well enough. If not, time to learn. Don't start with a figure that has tiny little feet on skinny little legs. =P

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Risto R
Finland
Hämeenlinna
Häme
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What is this hot water fix you talk of? I just got my xmas figures from FFG and two of their weapons are quite bent so I'm wondering if I could work something out with them.

Areinu wrote:
Maybe even more playable, because normal bases tend to bend even after using hot water fix.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Søgaard
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
likelyrooster wrote:
What is this hot water fix you talk of? I just got my xmas figures from FFG and two of their weapons are quite bent so I'm wondering if I could work something out with them.

In short: You put your figures in hot water.

Here's a guide: Link
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Risto R
Finland
Hämeenlinna
Häme
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice! Never thought of looking thru BGG forums and googling hot water didnt quite help

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.