Labyrinth: The War on Terror, 2001 – ?» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Is this a valid Jihadist's move? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Olav Riediger
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
Alex crossing the Jaxartes... tricky endeavour.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there,

last night I played another solitaire match of Labyrinth on "coherent" level (2x cells). It was quite challenging and entertaining. During the second deck I managed to secure nine resources, the Jihadist let the Oil Price spike (ramping me up to ten good resources), and things seemed to be pretty well going for me.

However, eventually the U.S. (i.e. me) didn't have any cards left, but the Jihadist played that particular card that allows him to travel two cells anywhere. I couldn't find a suitable place for the cells where to travel to, so I decided for the AI, that the U.S. might be a good place to be for them (there weren't any at that time). The next and last card of the Jihadist and of that turn (and match, that is) was "Martyrdom Operation", which enables the Jihadist to replace a cell in a non-Isamlist rule country (including non-Muslim countries?!?) with two available plot markers. Since the Jihadist had the Pakistani WMDs at his disposal, I regarded the game as being over: Put a WMD marker in the U.S. ends the game if the U.S. player doesn't have any cards left.

Here are my questions:
- Would you have "traveled" those two cells to the U.S. as well? The flow chart didn't indicate that, but it seemed a good move for the Jihadist to me.
- Plot markers are hidden in the solitaire game. Would you have chosen a WMD for the Jihadist in this case, or would you have taken two at random and pray that there is no WMD going to go off?

Any comments are highly welcome!

Greetings, Olav

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Thy
Denmark
Taastrup
flag msg tools
Together, we are the United Nations
badge
Gunulfr ok Øgotr ok Aslakr ok Rolfr resþu sten þænsi æftir Ful, felaga sin, ær warþ ... døþr, þa kunungar barþusk.
mb
For the travel, they must go to the US due to the fourth bullet of 9.4.2.1: For Clean Operatives, the 2 cells' destination is the UNITED STATES.

The plots should then be chosen at random, unless placed by Zarqawi or Danish Cartoons, see 9.3.2. But since WMDs displace normal plots from the pool (9.3.3) you would only have had a 20% chance of not picking a WMD anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joris
Netherlands
Haarlem
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would just stick to the rules.
The Jihadists are already "cheating" in the solo game to compensate for the bad moves by the flowchart.
Of course you can just pick the best move for them to make it harder for you to win, but then you can just play without the flowchart. Or just play a two player game by yourself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olav Riediger
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
turbothy wrote:
For the travel, they must go to the US due to the fourth bullet of 9.4.2.1: For Clean Operatives, the 2 cells' destination is the UNITED STATES.

The plots should then be chosen at random, unless placed by Zarqawi or Danish Cartoons, see 9.3.2. But since WMDs displace normal plots from the pool (9.3.3) you would only have had a 20% chance of not picking a WMD anyway.

So there is a special ruling for that card? Hm, I have to re-read the rules, I guess. I vaguely remember something about special card rules in that section, but seem to have forgotten them thoroughly... Thanks for the advice, though!

And you are right. I chose the two plots randomly and one turned out to be a WMD, which was very likely, since there have been just six plots available (3x WMD, 1x 3, 2x 2).

Thanks again!

Olav
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a Jihadist kill move i stumbled upon the second or third time i played Lab. It can end the game if the U.S. is caught off guard...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dick Hunt
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
olav wrote:
turbothy wrote:

So there is a special ruling for that card? Hm, I have to re-read the rules, I guess. I vaguely remember something about special card rules in that section, but seem to have forgotten them thoroughly... Thanks for the advice, though!

I don't remember whether the rule book covers this, but on the flowchart there's a small white box directly under the Travel track that tells you that ALL Clean Operatives traffic goes straight to the U.S.

Given their access to WMD's in your situation, I think my conscience would have sent them there anyway in that case. "Honesty is the best policy" my ASS!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Butler
United States
Fort Walton Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You played it properly, but unknowingly so, except that the plots are random. That said, with 3 WMDs out of 6, and 2 plots being placed, the odds were against you, so you might as well have ended it at that point...and I probably would have done the same, since they had WMDs. It's especially imperative to ensure they don't have access to WMDs before you've seen at least one of those two cards and the Jihadist has nukes! (If playing more than 1 deck, be sure to take into account the reshuffles as well.)

As stated above, WMD plots are supposed to displace regular plots. To expound a bit, whenever you add a WMD plot to the Solo Jihadist's arsenal, for each one you add, you remove a non-WMD Plot. (On Vassal, be sure to remove all of the non-WMD plots before adding any of the WMD plots; otherwise, the random removal may remove a WMD plot.)

Clean Operatives, others have covered quite well, has a special case. The cards with a special case are listed directly below the respective action -- in this case, under Plot As Much As Possible in US, it has Martyrdom Operation listed (plus a few others).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olav Riediger
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, thank all of you very much for your comments and contributions. It seems that I lost correctly, which feels just as bad as any other lost match... ;-) By this I learned a few more details about Labyrinth, which is a good thing, I guess.

Anyway, tonight is the right time for revenge!

Thanks again!

Olav

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.