Subject: Whose this hissing snake (5) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Retired Hurt

Brussels
Unspecified
msg tools

Week 14

With the campaign now into Silver Age, I buy Silver Eldritch to go with the Beasts. The future of monster enhancement I don't know yet.
The siren is still at the door of the Floating City.
The heroes uneventfully sail to Orris (+1 CP). Two go to the temple, one visits the market (Scythe of Reaping, the uninteresting Imp and one shortage) and one goes to the tavern. Still no news.

This becomes boring : three encounter checks - none ; three shouts at various taverns - nothing ; five failed attempts at reddition.

Week 15

Getting a tenth available CP, I buy a third Trap Treachery, with foresights of monkeys scattering across the dungeon arrrh
The Floating City finally surrenders, and the Siren heads Eastwards.
With only one Silver item, and no threat of another buy, they decide they'd as well remain in the town.

Astarra buys Necromancy.
I know it is not considered big by some readers, but it would prove rather efficient, especially with many minions only a fraction away from being one-shottable, where the vigorish from the necromanced monster makes the difference. (remember that Astarra usually plays first)

Another visit to the market brings the Staff of Fire and the Golden Armor. With enhanced weapon costs, they have to sell some minor items to have enough cash, and start the next week totally broke.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Retired Hurt

Brussels
Unspecified
msg tools
Week 16

For the first time, I get 2 time CPs.
The Siren moves eastwards, probably heading for Hardell. I expect a clash to happen there soon.

The heroes go to the Quendan Flood. They had time to get some silver items, whence I don't expect the dungeon to be more difficult than at any other time. Fact is, it will be their best score ever.

The first level is The Monastery.
And that's why. This level is a gift to the players : no boss unless they snafu it, 9 CPs to get, all minions in a small nook of the map, where they'll easily fall to AoE weapons. Which is easy for Astarra, with her movement abilities and Koll's Mark.
So I can just grind my teeth, pick more cards, and lay down Trapmaster.

The second level is #3 (don't get the name), which features a Dragon, with two Nagi and two Hellhounds minions, and a long way to run. That's more serious.
After Astarra is sent on a suicide mission, two heroes enter from the newly opened glyph, and they open the first chest. No magic item. Too bad (yes, I mean it, see below).

I forgot one thing : the item in the chest on the 1st level was the Black Widow's Web, with which OR now place no fewer than 5 web tokens on the Naga, blocking the Dragon in its lair.

However, here comes the revenge (no, not the boat) : as they open the second chest, find two treasures, and Tahlia seems happy of her award, she suddenly finds it was just a block of Magnetite.
I had decided to put the Dark Relic card into my deck (along with a Poisoned Spikes) because they still needed more Silver items and were so low on cash. So the loss was heavy :
- the item itself, no less than the Grinding Axe ;
- 500 GP to buy Remove Curse ;
- 250 GP if they want back the Protection Ring, which Tahlia had to discard to equip the Magnetite ;
- two potions and one Morning Star.

BTW, the other treasure they got were the Eyes of Thara, one of the most minor. Next time they'll learn to keep a straight face.

Of course Tahlia needed to do something about this, but the most urgent for them was to dispense with the Naga, Dragon and spawned Shades. This, given that the Dragon could wipe away their potions, induced them to make an orgy of them (remember that there are no alchemists) and also put them rather low on feats. OR were severely hurt by the Dragon, but they have 20 hp ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Retired Hurt

Brussels
Unspecified
msg tools
So they went into the third level confident but a bit low on general offensive resources.
The boss was a Hellhound, not a formidable opponent in se, but he had 43 hp - that's the biggest upgrade : 16 hp per campaign level. Also Fear 2, which grinds the offensive potential a little further.

First, they had to wriggle with equipment so that Tahlia could equip the Remove Curse. At this moment, with her still not having the Ring back, I unleashed a bunch of atacks at her - Landrec's not being the smallest - and took her life, only the third time in the whole campaign.

Then we went into big battle mode. Landrec fell from the Boss' attacks and some traps, they got all minions (including the spawned Dark Priests) out, and then attacked the boss. Tahlia was just going to deliver the killing blow and ... no, she didn't roll a X, but there was only 1 surge.
So the Hellhound survived one round. Enough to attack Landrec twice (with Rage), which with 4 hp from a Pit killed him once more.

All in all, however, this was a victory for them : 24 CPs vs 12 from the week (to be added to 3 gained since the last dungeon). The score is now: heroes 141, OL 117. Also, this means I'll have 14 spendable CPs when starting the next week, just one short to buy an Event Treachery.
I suppose I'd rather spare all in order to get a monster upgrade than buy some small card (or big sea serpent).

To be continued shortly, as we have one extra session on monday.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corbon Loughnan
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Merrimac wrote:

However, here comes the revenge (no, not the boat) : as they open the second chest, find two treasures, and Tahlia seems happy of her award, she suddenly finds it was just a block of Magnetite.
I had decided to put the Dark Relic card into my deck (along with a Poisoned Spikes) because they still needed more Silver items and were so low on cash. So the loss was heavy :
- the item itself, no less than the Grinding Axe ;
- 500 GP to buy Remove Curse ;
- 250 GP if they want back the Protection Ring, which Tahlia had to discard to equip the Magnetite ;
- two potions and one Morning Star.

BTW, the other treasure they got were the Eyes of Thara, one of the most minor. Next time they'll learn to keep a straight face.

Did you pick the Grinding Axe over the Eyes without seeing the cards? If so, that was very fortunate (if 50/50).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Retired Hurt

Brussels
Unspecified
msg tools
I did, and it wasn't 50/50 because they didn't care to keep poker faces. Since that was the first time I used Dark Relic, they were caught by surprise.

And of course I intend to vary my choice of traps from session to session so that they become wary of non-existing ones devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.