Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Session 4 X-Wing - Spaceship-junkyard rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marcel Neumann
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
New Playmat arrived and so its time for the next session.

Empire:

Vader
determination

Howlrunner
Dark Curse
3x Accademy Pilot

Rebells:

Wedge
R2-D2
Proton Torpedos

Biggs
R2-F2

Luke
R5-D8
Proton Torpedos

So it´s my first time to join the Rebel forces.
I went for a high skilled Squad with defensive addons an wanted to check out the Porton Torpedos at range 3 against the standart TIE.

After we deployed forces this was the startup:

This Round wasn´t very spectacular. Green forward maneuvers for everyone.

One TIE didn´t manage to evade the Asteroid and took a Critical Hit.
Luke locked Howlrunner and Managed to do one damage with the Torpedo (hmm hoped for more)
Biggs put the already damaged Academy Pilot out of his misery.

The Howlrunner and the 2 Academy Pilots fired at Luke and blasted the Shield generator apart. (Biggs was slightly out of range….)
Wedge shot the torpedo at Dark Curse with no effect and Dark Curse also didn´t manage to leave a mark on Wedges hull.Vader wasn´t able to attack this round due to 2 mm.

Okay this round was a shootout.
Biggs activated R2-F2. All 4 TIE attacks and the attack from Vader had just one goal.

“GET RID OF BIGGS.”

Biggs left this fight with on Hull left. R2-F2 did an amazing job there.

Wedge didn´t managed to get another hit at Dark Curses hull and Luke aimed for Howlrunner and landed one hit. Biggs who still was a little dizzy from the evading didn´t hit Howlrunner.

Koiogran Turns incomming.
Nice movement of the imperial fighters. No crash with 3 overlapping Koiogran Turns. RESPECT.
But Howlrunner crashed into Biggs.

Wedge took out the Academy Pilot 3 hits vs. 0 evades

Luke managed to get rid of Howlrunner and Vader eliminated Biggs.

I missed one round here .. sorry
I Think wedge got one hit this round.

Wedge restored one shield having 2 again and took out the last shield of Vader.
Luke missed Dark Curse and evaded his attack.
Vader fired leaving Luke with one hull left.

FU#%& !!! Luke crashed into Wedge and couldn´t take his action to get rid of one damage card.
So it was his last action because Vader destroyed his x-wing 2 seconds later.
Wedge missed Vader in return …

Vader wanted to move into range 1 so bad that he underrated Wedges speed resulting in a crash.
Wedge and the Asteroid took out Dark Curse.

HEADSUP !!!

VADER vs. WEDGE

2 Rounds and a Koiogran Turn later Vader and Wedge took themselves out simultaneously and added their ships to the Asteroid field.

Afterthoughts:

So my first try with the rebels resulted in a draw. I belive it would have been a loss if my opponent would have had a little more luck with the dice.
So Proton Torpedos ... I think okay at Range 2 but worthless at range 3 or not worth the 4 points.
Luke ...hmmm... ka if he will be one of my favorits ... i don´t think so.
Wedge ist expensive but really worth it if you can keep him alive long enough wich requires biggs.

so with Wedge+R2-D2 and Biggs+R2-F2 i have already spent 61 points....
any sugestions for the remaining 39 Points ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Pontier
United States
Oak Forest
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Session 4 X-Wing -
MNM79 wrote:

So Proton Torpedos ... I think okay at Range 2 but worthless at range 3 or not worth the 4 points.
Luke ...hmmm... ka if he will be one of my favorits ... i don´t think so.
Wedge ist expensive but really worth it if you can keep him alive long enough wich requires biggs.

so with Wedge+R2-D2 and Biggs+R2-F2 i have already spent 61 points....
any sugestions for the remaining 39 Points ?

I'm not sure why there is a difference for Torpedoes at range 2 or 3. Look at the bottom of page 10 in your rule book. It says that range bonuses only apply when using your Primary Weapons. The only reason I can think of for you saying that Torpedoes are worthless at range three is because you were giving the TIEs an extra defense dice. You shouldn't.

For this reason, I think Torpedoes are only useful at range 3. Once you get closer, the ability to combo Target locks with focus makes the primary weapon more useful.

As for what to do with your remaining 39 points Dutch with an Ion cannon costs 28. Use his ability to give Wedge free target locks and have Wedge focus each turn. That way he can reroll and focus all his attacks. For the remaining 11 points, you can give Wedge Swarm Tactics. Since you will be keeping Biggs at range 1, it will allow him to shoot as a skill 9 pilot, which should keep him alive an extra turn or two by taking out ships before they have a chance to fire. Then you might put 2 torpedoes on Dutch and give him a generic R2.

Another option is to add Garvin. Use swarm tactics again with Wedge to allow Garvin to fire first and have him pass his focus to Biggs. Since Biggs will be rolling three defense dice, the free focus should keep him alive longer. Once Biggs dies, pass the free focus to Wedge so he can TL and focus each turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Neumann
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
Quote:
The only reason I can think of for you saying that Torpedoes are worthless at range three is because you were giving the TIEs an extra defense dice. You shouldn't.

Exactly shake how could i miss that.

I need a little rule shart with the extremly essetial rules that only made it into the rulebook as a footnote.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Pontier
United States
Oak Forest
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to give torpedoes a second chance, put them on Horton. At range 2 he can reroll misses and you have about a 50% chance of getting 4 hits with a Crit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JeFF Stumpo
United States
Scranton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MNM79 wrote:
Quote:
The only reason I can think of for you saying that Torpedoes are worthless at range three is because you were giving the TIEs an extra defense dice. You shouldn't.

Exactly shake how could i miss that.

I need a little rule shart with the extremly essetial rules that only made it into the rulebook as a footnote.

No one should ever, ever, ever need a little rule shart. Ever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Neumann
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
Quote:

Agreed but what should i do .... if i can´t remember every bit i need a reminder. SAD but TRUE

Perhaps 2-3 more sessions and i have all rules in my head but until then there may occure some errors cause i am not a real fan of digging through the rulebook while playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Joyce
United States
Diamond Bar
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MNM79 wrote:
Quote:

Agreed but what should i do .... if i can´t remember every bit i need a reminder. SAD but TRUE

Perhaps 2-3 more sessions and i have all rules in my head but until then there may occure some errors cause i am not a real fan of digging through the rulebook while playing.

I think it was more of a jab at you putting "shart," but I might be wrong on that!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JeFF Stumpo
United States
Scranton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It was indeed meant to be a lighthearted jest about the word "shart." Sorry if that didn't come off clearly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Neumann
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
okay okay ... i got it ...
shart ... chart.shake *rofl*
Sometimes english still gives me trouble with the spelling or the correct meaning of words and their use in the common sense.

and if both comes together i am good for a laugh
no offense taken after getting it i laught myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.