Subject: Arkham Horror rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tj Currey
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hey guys!

Every question I put on google brought me to this awesome community so I figured I would join. I recently purchased Arkham Horror and I've read the rulebook at least 3 times back to back. I have been continually going back to it as I play but there are some things I don't quite understand.

1. I've fought a monster (Nightgaunt) that doesn't have a damage counter (hearts) Does that mean I do not take any damage against him?

2. I've got a Mythos card about The Man In Black. How exactly does that work? Do I roll and one success counts or is there an actual monster chip for him?

3. What are the money signs on the items for? Can you sell them at their places?

4. Also, take this unique item for example. The Pallid Mask gives +2 to Evade Check... Does this last entire game until he is devoured? Will it tell you what cards get discarded after use on the card? Seems like a lot of them stay with you.

I'm actually doing a test run and these are the questions I have going through them. I think I got most of the basic rules down, just running into a couple small things. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tj Currey
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Also, a few that slipped my mind!

Movement say for example, I have 3 move. I move, and theres a monster.. I beat it.. Can I still finish my 2 moves or does combat end my movement phase?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
TSpicy wrote:
Also, a few that slipped my mind!

Movement say for example, I have 3 move. I move, and theres a monster.. I beat it.. Can I still finish my 2 moves or does combat end my movement phase?

As soon as you enter combat with a monster, your movement is over. Even if you beat it. The only way to keep moving after engaging a monster is if you successfully evade it in the first attempt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
foksieloy
Croatia
flag msg tools
You need kulen.
badge
How can you have any pudding?
mbmbmbmbmb
1. He doesn't do damage, because the back of the token clarifies a special condition: if you lose, you get thrown through the closest gate.
Note, if you lose while in another dimension, the closest gate is back to Arkham, and you return.

2. There is a monster token for him (http://www.arkhamhorrorwiki.com/The_Black_Man) but this special event is not connected to the token. There is no combat involved. Instead you do exactly what it says on the card: you may gamble sanity for spells and clues.

3. It is the cost of the item. You spend that much to buy it at, for example, the curiosity shop.

4. You get that bonus for as long as you posses the item. You can give it also to another investigator, and then he gets the bonus and you no longer get it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
FAAx 87
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TSpicy wrote:

1. I've fought a monster (Nightgaunt) that doesn't have a damage counter (hearts) Does that mean I do not take any damage against him?

The nightgaunt does special "damage", you can read it on the backside of the monster token! Beside that no physical damage.

Quote:
2. I've got a Mythos card about The Man In Black. How exactly does that work? Do I roll and one success counts or is there an actual monster chip for him?

I'm sorry, I don't remember this card. Maybe you could tell us the complete card text?

Quote:
3. What are the money signs on the items for? Can you sell them at their places?

There is an location in Kingsport where you can sell the items. But with the base game you can't. The money signs are for purchasing the items at the stores.

Quote:

4. Also, take this unique item for example. The Pallid Mask gives +2 to Evade Check... Does this last entire game until he is devoured? Will it tell you what cards get discarded after use on the card? Seems like a lot of them stay with you.

The items stay with you unless there is something else written on it

Quote:

I'm actually doing a test run and these are the questions I have going through them. I think I got most of the basic rules down, just running into a couple small things. Thanks!

You're welcome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TSpicy wrote:
Hey guys!

Every question I put on google brought me to this awesome community so I figured I would join. I recently purchased Arkham Horror and I've read the rulebook at least 3 times back to back. I have been continually going back to it as I play but there are some things I don't quite understand.

Yes. It means that monster has some special thing that it does instead of Stamina damage, so check the text of the card for details. The Nightgaunt, for example, pulls you through the nearest Gate. Which can be good or bad.

Quote:

You only interact with him by going to the French Hill streets. You roll a die for each point of Sanity you have. If they all fail, you get Devoured. If only some of them fail, you lose a Sanity for each one that did, but you get a Clue Token and a Spell.
If somehow they all came up successes, you just get a Clue token and a Spell.

Quote:

That is sometimes an option. You can also buy items at various locations.

Quote:

Any time you make an Evade check and you have the Pallid Mask, you get +2. If something causes you to discard the Pallid Mask, you'll lost the benefit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
TSpicy wrote:
Hey guys!

Welcome!

Quote:

Correct. No damage. His "damage" is to move you to the nearest gate.

Quote:

No token, just the encounter. You roll as many dice as your current sanity. If you have at least one success, you get the reward. However, for each non-success, you take one hit against your sanity. So if you have sanity of 4, roll 4 dice. If you get 2 successes, that means you have 2 failures and lose 2 sanity. You then get a clue and a spell. The encounter stays so multiple people can go there and take a shot at him. He won't be defeated, he will just be replaced when a new environment card comes out.

Quote:

Because you can buy them. You can't sell any items in the base game. There are locations and events in the expansions that do allow it. But the prices are just for buying things at the General Store for right now.

Quote:

Yes, it will stay with you until something makes you discard it. You don't discard a card unless it specifically tells you to do so. You only exhaust cards if they tell you to as well - and these will be refreshed at the next upkeep phase. Losing half your items may cause you to lose this card - but that is your choice which half get lost.

Quote:

Follow the phases is the best advice I can give. Keep playing through and it will all click. It really is an easy game to understand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tj Currey
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Sounds good. Thanks for the quick responses guys. I have a couple buddies coming over tonight and I only want to look at the rulebook if I absolutely have too,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
Follow the phases is the best advice I can give. Keep playing through and it will all click. It really is an easy game to understand.
Seconded! There's a lot of rules and moving parts, but none of them is really intellectually challenging. Obfuscated by the rulebook for some, depending on what type of rulebook suits them, but not difficult.

The game in essence is so simple that it has been reduced to a flowchart by Mr Skeletor here Arkham Horror Flowchart (or a simpler one by Hallway Orchard Arkham Horror - Turn Flowchart.pdf)

It can be distilled into it essence as a game by following ColtsFan76's first rule of Arkham "follow the phases" and by keeping the aim of the game in mind: collect Clues, Seal Gates.

Easy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm curious as to how many of you deal with the Nightgaunt after it has pulled the Investigator through the Gate. Friends from Philly, along with half the group from Arkham Nights 2011 play it one way, while other players from Philly and the other half of the Arkham Nights 2011 players (and a few of the staff) play the other way...

1. The Nightgaunt draws you through the Gate (either to the Other World or back to Arkham) and remains at the new location.

2. The Nightgaunt draws you through the Gate (either to the Other World or back to Arkham) and is returned to the Monster Cup.

I'm not looking for a consensus or what people believe is the "right" answer...just a simple poll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
The Professor wrote:
1. The Nightgaunt draws you through the Gate (either to the Other World or back to Arkham) and remains at the new location.

2. The Nightgaunt draws you through the Gate (either to the Other World or back to Arkham) and is returned to the Monster Cup.

I'm not looking for a consensus or what people believe is the "right" answer...just a simple poll.

My answer is option 1.5. He draws you through the nearest gate but it stays put. Doesn't say anything about it actually moving - only you (consider it does a round trip dropping you off and then going back to its previous position. It is not defeated so it doesn't return to the cup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sherlock
United States
Anaheim Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
Admin @ www.cigargeeks.com
mbmbmbmbmb
TSpicy wrote:
Hey guys!

Put one of the activity markers (numbered counters) on the board to represent him until he leaves play (usually because a new environment card is drawn).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Brian ~ that one did not come up. So, I guess there are three possible ways to play it...we'll have to wait and see who else chimes-in on this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Professor wrote:
I'm curious as to how many of you deal with the Nightgaunt after it has pulled the Investigator through the Gate. Friends from Philly, along with half the group from Arkham Nights 2011 play it one way, while other players from Philly and the other half of the Arkham Nights 2011 players (and a few of the staff) play the other way...

We treat it as though the Nightgaunt threw you through the Gate. So you go through and the Nightgaunt stays where it is. It doesn't matter whether you meet the Nightgaunt in Arkham or in OW. it works the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy,

Those that support this particular method enjoy it because if they can keep the Nightgaunt around (thus, not closing gates with its dimensional symbol), it provides a great tactical move to get Investigators into Gates they otherwise couldn't reach (i.e. located in another town [expansion]).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a few monsters that have special conditions when you defeat them in battle or when their movement symbol appears during Mythos.

Gain two clue tokens when defeating the Warlock. Gain a Unique Item when defeating a Mi-Go. These two are not taken as trophies, but returned to the box.

The Cthonian does not move. Instead, roll a die. On 4-6, each investigator in Arkham takes a Stamina loss. The Hound of Tindalos moves to the investigator in the nearest location (not street area).

The maniac's combat rating changes when the Terror Level is six or greater. Go through them before the game. There aren't many, but when I finally started moving the Hound properly, he became quite the nuisance.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Professor wrote:
mccrispy,

Those that support this particular method enjoy it because if they can keep the Nightgaunt around (thus, not closing gates with its dimensional symbol), it provides a great tactical move to get Investigators into Gates they otherwise couldn't reach (i.e. located in another town [expansion]).
We enjoy the presence of Nightgaunts on the board. We have a blanket ban on killing Nightgaunts - you're not allowed to fight them at all unless you're intending to lose (or you will incur the wrath of the Nightgaunt protection league). It is never Nightgaunt open season at our house. We too "keep the Nightgaunt around". Nevertheless, we play them as they were intended to be played. There's nothing that - to me - suggests that the Nightgaunt moves. But if you want to play it the way that you do because it's more fun to do so who am I to be the naysayer? Similarly, you should not assume that the way we play is for any other reason than because we find it fun too - nor that we're "missing something".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ha! laugh Play it as you like, my friend ~ as I said, no way is right, and no way is wrong, I'm simply curious as to how people interpret this one. While we await the mythical FAQ, there will always be these unique circumstances which lend themselves to wonderful conversations/debates/discussions.

As always, Happy Gaming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
foksieloy
Croatia
flag msg tools
You need kulen.
badge
How can you have any pudding?
mbmbmbmbmb
The way rules are written, the nightgaunt stays, and you go through a gate. Everything else is a house rule, although it seems entertaining.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Alexopoulos
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Professor wrote:

Assuming a Nightgaunt is in play and did not appear from "a monster appears" event, my group plays it as the investigator is drawn through the nearest gate and the Nightgaunt stays put. The Nightgaunt does not say to move it with the investigator or place it back in the cup, so I don't know why it would be played this way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Nightgaunt doesn't move. He just hurls you mightily through the air with great accuracy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric,

Can't speak for the others, but I like the thematic notion as you are drawn through an open gate...especially if the gate is in a completely different neighborhood or town.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Alexopoulos
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Professor wrote:
Eric,

Can't speak for the others, but I like the thematic notion as you are drawn through an open gate...especially if the gate is in a completely different neighborhood or town.

No arguement here, I like the thematic notion of being drawn through the gate too. IMO the theme is furthered by the Nightgaunt staying put after sending an investigator through the gate. I've always looked at it as if the Nightgaunt was waiting for another victim in a spot that unsuspecting persons would most likely stumble upon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice! I like that interpretation, considering the fact that they're associated with Nodens, a Guardian...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.