Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Edelen
United States
Mount Orab
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems to me that unless retailers get all crazy in the next few days, 2012 will go down as the year that board and card games didn't see too many hot deals, especially around Christmastime.

Last year seemed like a fantastic year to scoop up games for a song. Not so in 2012.

Not only have the blowout sales underwhelmed, but I think most games with an MSRP between $40-$50 are sustaining street prices $5-$10 higher than last year.

Case in point, I saw Dominion as low as $22 plus change last year at Amazon, and with free shipping. It's running around $29 shipped free this year. Games just under $30 street last year are all over that mark this year.

They say that actual price inflation has been low this year. I'm certainly not seeing that to be true in the board and card game market.

Anyone think otherwise? If so, what has been your experience?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pone McPoneface
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night, and if you go no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone. Ripple in still water, when there is no pebble tossed, nor wind to blow.
badge
To seek the sacred river Alph, to walk the caves of ice, to break my fast on honey dew and drink the milk of paradise... I had heard the whispered tales of immortality, the deepest mystery, from an ancient book I took a clue.
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked up Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) from Amazon for $39.99 and with Amazon Prime I received it in 2 days with no additional shipping cost. I thought that was a pretty good deal all-in-all!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The economy is quite different today, both on the supply and buyer side, so the prices are holding and no need to liquidate back stock. You can see this "freebie" trend diminishing by following most of the big sales: GMT, FF, etc., all which have gradually adjusted since 2010.

It was good while it lasted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick C.
United States
Milford
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Because I served, I will resist
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems a bit anecdotal no matter what opinion or impression one might have . . .

Me, I got Castles of Burgundy from Amazon for $20, bought six games through CSI at 10% off and just bought Dungeon! for $13 at B&N using their $5 off coupon and getting the 10% off for being a member.

I don't think I personally saw much last year that I wanted.

I would agree, however, that some specific sales were lackluster. Days of Wonder's sale was a total non-event among others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brannan
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Given what I've spent this year on post-thanksgiving sales compared to other years, I think we've seen better deals this year than in years past. Anecdotally, of course. The deals have been on different games, definitely. Stuff that was on sale last year isn't this year and vice versa, so I don't think you can judge by looking at the year-over-year sale prices to make a determination (at least, not if the sales last year did their job and cleaned out the extra stock that prompted the sale)

Also, I don't think that looking at year-end closeout deals is a good way to determine price inflation. Fewer sales that aren't as good is actually a good sign to me. It means that companies don't have lots of extra product lying around that they need to get rid of. It means that they produced, ordered, and distributed the games properly, and that they are in good health overall. It means that it's more likely that they'll be around next year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy English
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
A bunch of companies had REALLY good sales on in the last couple of weeks.
(GMT, MMP) I ended up getting a bunch of great games at 40-50% off.

FFGs sale had some amazing prices. (Horus heresy for 25$ instead of 99$) etc..

I dont know where you are coming from. My problem was that there were too many incredibly good deals and not maxing out my Credit Card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
United States
San Diego area
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To the extent it's true that boardgames are holding higher prices, this is a good thing, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fitzgerald
United States
Mazomanie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well companies are getting smarter about not over-producing the games... coupled by being a lot more choosy about which games come out. Plus, if you've been at this a few years, you end up owning everything that is likely to go on sale already. That's really all there is to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.