United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want updates on when new TGIF polls are posted, or want to look at the results of past polls go to The TGIF Poll Subscription Thread.

Poll: The 216th TGIF Poll
Do you often have a rap session after a game is completed to talk about what happened, how things could have gone different, and maybe even your opinions of the game?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
All the time
10.4% 31
Frequently
35.7% 106
Sometimes
37.4% 111
Rarely
15.5% 46
Never
1.0% 3
Voters 297
Do you often think about how you could have played a game differently long after the game is over?
All the time
11.4% 34
Frequently
21.7% 65
Sometimes
52.8% 158
Rarely
13.4% 40
Never
0.7% 2
Voters 299
If you win a game the first time you play it, how will you play the second time?

(I realize that this is dependent on the game, but just choose the answer that comes closest to matching what you would do.)
Deploy a very similar strategy that led to victory last time in hopes that it will be successful again
43.3% 125
Try a completely different strategy in order to "explore the game space"
56.7% 164
Voters 289
This poll is now closed.   299 answers
Poll created by Blott
Closes: Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:00 am

4. What game are you spending the most time thinking about right now?

Any discussion is encouraged.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CanCon, BunnyCon...BorderCon!!!
Australia
KILLARA
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
May 2018 be all you dreamed it would be and be all that you dreamed...
mbmbmbmbmb
d10-1 We don't have formal rap sessions to discuss a new game but it often happens after playing new titles.

d10-2 I frequently think about the play of a game long after it's over. More often with newer titles though. Games I know well I will analyse briefly after the play and then move on.

d10-3 I like to try new strategies to explore the balance of a game, viable strategies to victory etc.

d10-4 Spending most time thinking about Tzolk'in and Decent 1e as I have a game in the morning as Overlord.

EDIT - Wow 1st to reply, haven't done that in a while...and it only took staying up till 1:04am to do it! shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Reed
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Right now, the game I am thinking about is Trains, simply because it is the Essen title I have had a chance to play the most thus far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sharon Khan
United Kingdom
Shefford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
Games, games and more games!
mbmbmbmbmb

Usually I hate post-game debriefs, but some of my opponents like them, and we often have them (especially if the game is followed by a meal!). Similarly once a game is done with I don't usualy like to think about it too much - on to the next thing - but there are some games that do stick in my mind afterwards. Usually this only happens for relatively new games that I'm excited by. The most recent example being Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island, where I spent the two days after rehashing the game in my mind, despite not being convinced by the game from my one play of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Owens
Philippines
Cainta
Rizal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We tried Uchronia last night, and I'm busy thinking how to do better (because I was awful) and about how it relates to Glory to Rome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb

Uchronia
Since I just played it for the first time last week and just bought a copy. Thinking about how the game differs from Glory to Rome and how that impacts the strategy, and some aspects of Uchronia's strategy I'd like to explore. Admiring the art on my new copy all the while.

This also plays into question 3. I won my first game of Uchronia, but I would try for a different way to win the next time I play. "Winning" isn't the end-all be-all for me, it's the playing and exploring the strategy that's fun, so I think it would be boring to just try the same strategy again with the sole goal of getting another win. Even as successful as it was
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
#1 I rarely discuss games afterwards.. unless perhaps it's a co-operative game we might. There are some people I have played with, who insist on doing this and detailing everything they were thinking about (which actually annoys me).

#2 Yeah, I do sometimes think about how I could have played better after a game is finished... that's a sign of a good game.

#3 I put different strategy, but it really does depend on the game and also on what other people are doing

#4 I guess At the Gates of Loyang is that game for me. I've only played it on yucata.de but I really enjoy it and want to play more. I'm always excited when my turn comes up in that as opposed to most of the other games I'm playing... It's also the game I take the longest to take my turns on because I take my time and don't play impulsively like I do other games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A HIke!
mbmbmbmbmb

CO₂ and to some extent, Merkator. I've been going through the rules with some sample rounds for CO₂ but last night I read through the rules to Merkator and played a few rounds to try to get in a first game with my wife this weekend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Huber

Westborough
Massachusetts
msg tools
For #3, neither answer really fits. First, winning a game the first time I play tends to be a negative for me, unless I'm playing against others new to the game. Second, if it does happen, but the game still interests, I'll try something like the same strategy again hoping that it doesn't work. If it does, that's an even bigger strike against the game.

Blott wrote:

Chattanooga Choo-Choo V, mostly because that's what I'm working on playtesting at present.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
If you win a game the first time you play it, how will you play the second time?

Couldn't answer. I don't really think much about strategy in most games.
(probably obvious from the vids).

There have been exceptions: 18xx for example - but more tactical thinking
there - trying to see if I can get a particular company to work or track
loop into place; but also trying to figure out how to win by going
bankrupt.

Most of the time, I shoot from the hip and just do what feels natural.

Doubt you mean 'think about' the way I do. Imperium Romanum II's been
on my mind - but this is just a desire to play. I also think about whatever
I'm in the middle of playing (few games finish in less than a day),
and whatever rules I'm reading.

The first couple of questions though, my group used to always dissect
games in a post-mortem, and I liked doing that. Now and then I realize
that I 'played it all wrong'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
We talk after the game and how to do things better 'sometimes'. Most of the time we just talk about which game to get out and start setting up next.

I guess Ventura is what I'm thinking about most, I just finished reading the rules on it. But, I'm sure I'll read rules to something else soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bandettini
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
That one not so much
badge
Ohh that tickles
mbmbmb
I have been thinking a lot about Terra Mystica and how to get better at it. I suspect I am not the only one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
1 - We don't do this as a formal thing, but frequently as we bag up components and put the game away the discussion will happen anyways. The amount of discussion also seems to be directly proportional to the amount of hidden information. For instance, we often have much more detailed discussions after Ticket to Ride, talking about where we were blocked, routes we couldn't complete, and stuff like that. While games like Carcassonne would have much less discussion because everyone can see everything that happened.

2 - One of my favorite things is when Rikki and I are riding home from a game night and we start rehashing the games played. It's just fun to look back at that stuff. And then new games that I really like will get stuck in my head for days, weeks, even months until I can play them again.

3 - I'm an explorer. I care less about winning than I care about enjoying the game. So I'll sometimes try the most oddball strategy just to see if it works.

4 - Coup because it's the most recent new game I played and I'm trying to figure out whether I like it or not. I really want to play it again with a different group to see how that changes the experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
:C.h.r.i.s. M.c.G.o.w.a.n:
United States
Elk Grove Village
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Two games I am thinking about lately are Terra Mystica and Keyflower . I have 3 and 2 plays respectively of each title and really want to get these titles to the game table with experienced game players, not all newbies, to really explore them deeper. If I could get 10 plays of each over the next 12 months I would be happy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
4: Lord of the Rings the LCG. We lose at it all the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Håkan König
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Usually we don't analyse games afterwards.
2. I do somethimes think about them, what went wrong, what did I do right etc. But it depends on the game.
3. Right, it does depend on the game, but often I want to try something new every time I play a game.
4. I'm spending most of my time thinking about 18xx in general. Differences between games, what drives each game, mechanisms, tile mix etc. Thinking in very general terms about a "big game", and what stuff to include and possible new rule(s) to make it worth pushing it past 'just thinking about it'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
VAST: The Mysterious Manor
badge
We must move forward, not backward, upward, not forward, and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends on who I'm playing the game with and to some extent the game itself, but with gamer friends and a highly thematic and/or relatively complex game, we almost always talk about what happened during the game and where things could have gone different.

With a simple(r) gateway-style game played with family (non-gamers) there's generally not much discussion, though.

Right now the two games I think about most are Merchants & Marauders and High Frontier. They're my favorites games and the ones I've been playing most often recently. I'm also currently involved in a PBF game of the latter, which helps keep that one on my mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I might now actually start rapping about games after I've finished. That should be fun.

As for number four, I've been watching all Marco's videos on Field Commander: Napoleon as it's sitting at my parents house, waiting for my return to England next week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Do you often have a rap session after a game is completed

When I first read the question I was picturing gamers breaking into rap after a game. It was an amusing image.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Lott
United States
Cheverly
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm very like Ben on this - sometimes post-game analysis happens, and I enjoy that. I'm frequently going through it in my head as I go to sleep at night. snore

And I'm a game explorer - since I tend to like variety anyway, it's natural for me to try different strategies. The only time I might play things a little "safer" and stick to past successful strategies is when I'm playing a tough co-op (Arkham Horror, BSG, etc.).

Unfortunately I haven't had a lot of game plays lately, so I'll just say that Seasons is still on my mind as the first play was memorable and I'm itching for more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bauer
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Bazinga!
mbmbmbmbmb
I know the game was good when as I go to sleep that night I am thinking about what I could have done differently.

I just read the rules to Vanuatu and am very interested in seeing how it would play.
I have been given a lot of thought to how yellow can win Britannia, I have seen all the other colors win but never yellow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stoic Bird
United States
Fairport
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
d10-1Almost all the time. I really like discussing strategy and game design in person (i.e., I don't like reading strategy online, but enjoy the real-time discussions), as do most of the people I play with. About the only time I don't is when my wife plays, as she HATES post game analysis

d10-2I picked all the time, with the caveat that I only do that if I like the game. In fact, one of the signs for me that a new-to-me game deserves an 8 or higher rating is that I'm still thinking about it the next day.

d10-3As you said, depends on the game. I'll usually mess around a bit, if only to make sure my strategy wasn't indeed the optimal one; usually if I can figure out the best course of action on my first play, it's not a game I'm going to want to play repeatedly.

d10-4I've actually been on a video game kick recently. On the board game side, mostly Container. I didn't like the game enough to keep it (especially not at its current prices), but there were a lot of good things going on there, and I've been trying to figure out if I can design a game with a similar market concept that my friends and I would enjoy more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Fee
United States
Corning
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No fair! They're using brains against us! We removed our brains to make room for guns and explosives!
mbmbmbmbmb
If it is a new game, we sometimes discuss things (or if its new to my group that I introduced as I'm the main game provider) but usually its just on to the next game or a goodnight.

Blott wrote:

Right now, thinking about the Cardboard Arcade system as I am just about ready to start playtesting some game ideas for it. Otherwise, it is Pirate Dice: Voyage on the Rolling Seas as that's my latest game acquisition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney Sheldon
United States
Springfield
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We sometimes chat after a game. It is usually after we have played a new game. I like doing this as it gives me insight for strategies I may have missed. I also like to try different strategies when playing a game the second or third time. Many in our group will stick to one strategy that works, until it doesn't anymore.

Terra Mystica is the new game I have been mulling over lately. I don't own it yet...but soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) we normally talk a bit about the game, how it turned out, our strategies and opinions.

2) this happens more with games that I'm not real familiar with or deeper games.

3) it's rare that I win a game the first time I play it, but when it does happen I usually have no idea why I won so I'll try and replicate my strategy in the second playing to see why I might have won and I'll pay closer attention to the other players moves.

4) 2 of my newest games, Red Winter and 1989 are getting most of my thought time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.