United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Last night I played a short game of, "Which would be better?" with my six-year-old daughter, Morgan. Play along, and then you can read her answers at the end to see if you're as cute as she is. (You're not.)

Poll
1. Which superpower would you rather have?
Flight
Invisibility
2. OK, well which of these superpowers would you rather have?
Ability to fly as fast as you can currently run.
Ability to run as fast as a car.
3. Which would you rather have?
Two daddies and one mommy.
Two mommies and one daddy.
4. When you have kids of your own, which would you rather they were?
Super smart but only average nice.
Super nice but only average smart.
      89 answers
Poll created by Chad_Ellis

Morgan's answers:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Flight over invisibility. "Flying is fun, and if you don't want people to see you you could just fly over them because people don't look up very often."

Speed of a car over flying as fast as she could run. "I can't run very fast."

Two daddies and one mommy. "That way one of my daddies could do all the cooking and I could still be with mommy and daddy."

"Well, I think my kids would be super smart and super nice, because I'm both."

After a bit more thought, and prodding to choose, "Super smart and only average nice...because I think I'm more smart than nice."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

If that were the case, I wouldn't be able keep up with a hot air balloon. I also have an issue with heights. I'd be like a 70" Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade balloon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
...but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind,
badge
...and reaching forth unto those things which are before,...
mbmbmbmb
scribidinus wrote:
Quote:

If that were the case, I wouldn't be able keep up with a hot air balloon. I also have an issue with heights. I'd be like a 70" Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade balloon.

If you can run as fast as a car, then you better get some amazing shoes with good tread and stopping ability, and probably some insurance for your legs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love it when people apply physics to super-powers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
The only easy one was nice kids vs smart kids. I mean, it's tempting to want to sire an evil genius but seriously: nice is nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CrankyPants wrote:
The only easy one was nice kids vs smart kids. I mean, it's tempting to want to sire an evil genius but seriously: nice is nice.

But it's only average nice. I can get along with average nice.

Now if it was:
Super smart and mean (but not evil?)
vs.
Super nice and super dumb (but able to function in society and take care of themselves)

That'd potentially be a tougher choice and I'd probably be more inclined to go with Super Nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice is overrated. Give me an evil genius any day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Gola
United States
Redding
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
and everything under the sun is in tune
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm saying invisibility versus flying because you can probably get away with more being invisible. A flying person that can be seen can still be shot down. Also, flying people are effectively powerless when they're inside.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Squires
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I chose flight but I'm really having second thoughts now. I mean, having to buy goggles and something to keep the bugs out of my mouth is one thing and I'm sure I'd figure out a good method to keep all of my change from falling out of my pockets. But dealing with the wind, birds and hunters with poor eyesight is making me think that it would probably be pretty dangerous. Not too mention the celebrity freak status I'd surely gain despite the fact that I'd keep insisting to the world that I'm still the exact same person. That I'm just like them. In the end I just know I'd wish I'd chosen invisibility.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Squires
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gola wrote:
I'm saying invisibility versus flying because you can probably get away with more being invisible. A flying person that can be seen can still be shot down. Also, flying people are effectively powerless when they're inside.

It's really unclear how this flying thing would work. Does it exert a huge amount of energy and/or require some type of flapping, pointing or thrusting motion? Can you hover? I hate changing light bulbs. Would you be able to fly well if the air currents were calm?

And for invisibility I think that would be awesome but could you turn back visible? Far as I know unstable molecules haven't been invented yet so I'd worry about being cold all the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
Invisibility would only be something to consider in really warm climates. Who wants a super power that you can only use half the year without freezing your ass off. And then of course you'd have to shave off all your hair, and fast for a week before using it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Haskell
United States
Springfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gola wrote:

Yeah, but what good is being invisible when your flying on a plane?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Key Locks
United States
McCordsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Gola wrote:

What is it that you want to "get away with"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Gola
United States
Redding
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
and everything under the sun is in tune
mbmbmbmbmb
Leezer wrote:
Gola wrote:

There would be so many damn pantsings your nuts would spin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
Gola wrote:
Leezer wrote:
Gola wrote:

There would be so many damn pantsings your nuts would spin.

Business as usual in the Gola household.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Michealson
United States
Maple Grove
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow... I answered all four questions the exact opposite of your daughter. I don't think anybody could fault me for my two mamas answer though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy G
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Mold the chaos into something beautiful
mbmbmbmbmb
Morgan and I picked everything the same!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Houserule Jay
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So on three of questions the answers are pretty close, however on the 2 Mom's or 2 Dad's, Mom's are the clear winners here...

Thoughts?

I can tell you why I picked it, so as a kid I'd have two people cooking and taking care of me! blush (of course most times my Dad had his nose in a newspaper, so maybe that has something to do with my answer too...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
badge
I take my fun very seriously.
mbmbmbmbmb
Gola wrote:

There is an interesting Fredric Brown story about futuristic inventions that were lost to humanity. One of them is invisibility. The crux of the story was: Invisibility is useless in the dark.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Knock knock open up the door it's Riel
Netherlands
Tilburg
It's wurples all the way down.
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Happy Oak Leaf!
mbmbmbmbmb
The nice versus smart question is interesting. I wonder if super nice people are happier than average nice people, and I wonder the same for super smart.

Poll
Would you prefer to be...
Nicer and smarter than you are now.
Nicer than you are now, but not smarter.
Smarter than you are now, but not nicer.
Neither.
      12 answers
Poll created by purplewurple

I'd trade a few of my smart points for an extra nice or two, but I don't think I'd want to be super nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.