Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J Boomhower
United States
Fairfield
VT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have 4 kids, ranging from 11 to 2, and a full time job. That, as you may imagine, doesn't leave a lot of room for gaming at home, especially with other adults my age. To feed the gaming need, I started recruiting coworkers for lunch time games once to twice a week. At the beginning of the year, this was only partially successful, resulting in maybe 2-4 player games occasionally. As of this fall, I have found a steady group of avid converts and am now faced with the very best problem in gaming. I have too many interested players! So, my request is this:

What games can I get that play 6+ players in roughly 60 to 90 minutes?

Our only current options are:

Citadels
Zombie Fluxx
A good selection of CheapAss games
Tsuro

Thanks again to all.

M
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike G
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Some of our favorites for that number and time frame:

7 Wonders
Powerboats
King of Tokyo
I'm the Boss!
The Resistance
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Edwards
United States
Grove City
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
7 Wonders is a must for you.

Bang! Should work well too. Bang! can very occassionaly run long but it shouldn't prove to be much of a problem. I understand a new game just came out called Samurai Sword just came out which is the same thing as Bang! but has a guaranteed end point so it would easily fit in the time constraints.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Seb. ●leoskyangel●
Malaysia
Bangsar & PJ
flag msg tools
badge
I play games not to win, it's the gathering that's important - Thanks for the tip Cate108!
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep up the good of spreading the hobby.

- vivajava the coffee game (8 players).
I tried it once and like it instantly. This game handles 6-8 players very well. Not good with lower count of players. 8 players may take 90 mins.

- +1 7 wonders
7 players game in 45 mins is splendid.

+1 for the resistance

- witch's brew with expansion (6 players)

- airlines europe (there's an official rule for 6 players)

Let us know once you have decided yeah.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Lj
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
7 Wonders is definitely my favorite game right now and fits your need. I recently bought the Cities expansion so I can play 8 player. (and recently downloaded the fan made Myths expansion that looks incredible).

My gaming group also really likes Shadow Hunters which plays up to 8. I believe it's similar to the previously suggested "Bang"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Kunes
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Citadels - which you own already
Dixit: Odyssey - plays upto 12
King of Tokyo
The Resistance or The Resistance: Avalon
Ticket to Ride Map Collection: Volume 1 – Team Asia & Legendary Asia - Team Asia format

meeple Keep playing...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Boomhower
United States
Fairfield
VT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So far I am leaning toward Resistance (which was already on my list) and 7 Wonders which I have been glancing at coyly from the corner of my eye for months.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Jaynes
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a few games that i like to break out with 6.

Around the World in 80 Days is a full on family style euro that plays best with 5+.

I also enjoy Long Shot with a big group. It is half party game, half strategy, and people tend to get wrapped up in rooting for their horses and have fun.

I will also throw in a vote of interest for VivaJava: The Coffee Game, it looks like a very cool game for a larger group, and I plan on adding it to my collection for that purpose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stoic Bird
United States
Fairport
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This may or may not work for you, but one of my favorite large group games is Gunslinger. It officially supports up to 7, but I've heard of people playing custom scenarios with many more.

First, reasons you might not want to get it: it's long out of print and a little pricey (~$70); the graphic design is very spartan; it's a bit intimidating to learn from the rules (I was fortunate enough to be taught the game by an experienced player; it's not actually all that complex, but there are a lot of pieces and information); and it relies on a lot of combat resolution tables to match up results from the card draws (no dice).

However, the game is one of the most out-and-out fun games I've played at any player count. Actions are resolved more or less simultaneously, so there's practically no downtime and it moves right along; including rules, our first game was over in about an hour (and everyone immediately wanted to play again). It's one of the most thematically rich games I've ever played; you can really see the narrative unfolding on the board, and I'm not generally one for thematic games (and dislike Westerns at that). There are campaign rules for playing multiple sessions with the same people. And as far as the gameplay is concerned, there are good player aids on here, and even an Android app that'll do the combat resolution for you.

In short, it's not for everyone, but if anything happens to my copy, I will be paying another $70 to pick another one up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Amick
United States
Grand Island
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
"Too late, you took your finger off the piece..."
mbmbmbmbmb
Dominion with an expansion or two thrown in for flavor. Alot of variety and quick setup if you have the kingdom cards picked out ahead of time.

If you have a loud bunch a quick filler that we always have a riot with is Anomia.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christina Crouch
United Kingdom
Tadley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you able to break into two groups?
Then you'd have a lot more choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gibbs
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ricochet Robots
SET
TransAmerica or Trans Europa
Metro
Ca$h 'n Gun$

All come to mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Buchholz
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the same problem so I buy ALOT of games that play 6 even if it means buying an expansion to go along with it. Some of these can go a bit longer than 90 minutes depending on players actions and game factors but probably not much longer.

For competitive:

+1 7 wonders

+1 Dominion although I would skip expansions for awhile

Cash n guns goes over awesome with our group in 10 minutes

Survive with 5-6 player expansion, might stretch the 90 minute by a little but tons of cutthroat fun for 6

Cosmic encounter, need expansion for 6 as well

Carcassonne again might sretch the 90 minutes a bit (not sure if base game plays 6 but I have the Big Box 3 so it played 6 from the start.)

Infinite city

Wings of war(Glory)

Eruption

The adventurers pyramid of horus

Formula De'

Incan gold

For Cooperative:

Shadows over camelot

Sentinels of the multiverse

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 7 Wonders
+1 Splitting into 2 groups, at least sometimes

Android: Infiltration seems to work fine with 6p. I haven't played it enough to know how it will hold up over time. On paper it should have a lot of replayability, but a local guy says his other group quickly burned out on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just yesterday evening we had a boardgame night at my work, with 8 colleagues this time. I would also suggest to just divide into multiple groups with more than 7 or even 6 players.

We started out with two parallel games of Ticket to ride.
After that we played Dixit odyssey with 8 people and closed with a simple game of Take 5 also with 8 people.

Some other games that take bigger amounts of players are:
- Formula D,
- Robo rally,
- Finster Flure,
- Saboteur,
- Boonanza.

When you go over 6 players you usually end up with more simple filler/party games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stoic Bird
United States
Fairport
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, yeah, +1 for Fearsome Floors. Great game for up to 7.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hinrickson
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Shadow Hunters is pretty fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You might also check out the new cooperative game Space Cadets. It's supposed to be best with 5 or 6 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Boomhower
United States
Fairfield
VT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do have Dominion and we played it with 4 this week but I was under the impression that it maxed at 4 without expansions...am I wrong?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hinrickson
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
MhidDa wrote:
I do have Dominion and we played it with 4 this week but I was under the impression that it maxed at 4 without expansions...am I wrong?

Some people have selective reading.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Martin
United States
Overland Park
KS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I ran into this exact 'problem' recently myself. Was looking to buy a 6+ player game that was not a party style game and that played in 1-2 hrs. It was definitely difficult to find good games that played more than 6p, but there are quite a few good choices for up to 6p

The game I ended up getting was Chicago Express. It plays 6p max
It is definitely not a light, gateway game; but on the other hand is very simple to learn.

Other games to consider (some were already mentioned above)

- Saboteur (Plays up to 12 with expansion, very fun)
- Isla Dorada (Light, simple, fun game with nice components)
- Power Grid (little heavy, probably more than 60-90 mins, but very good game)
- King of Tokyo
- 7 Wonders

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
meepleonboard
United Kingdom
Somerset/London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Powerboats (as mentioned above) is quite a good call. It's also dead easy to learn and play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for The Resistance: Avalon. I like it more than vanilla Resistance.
+1 for Shadow Hunters

Cosmic Encounter + an expansion is good fun.
Lifeboats
hasn't been mentioned yet, so I'll throw it out there. It's light, quick, and simple, yet still has the potential to ruin friendships.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You might already have this via Cheap Ass Games, but Kill Doctor Lucky works great with exactly that many players. Aside from that, I can't be of much help, as I pretty much never play anything with more than 3-4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Reda
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Guess the games in my uberbadge!
badge
My favorite game is Cosmic Encounter.
mbmbmbmbmb
Cosmic Encounter

with

Cosmic Encounter: Cosmic Incursion
Cosmic Encounter: Cosmic Conflict
Cosmic Encounter: Cosmic Alliance

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.