Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Arkham Horror» Forums » Rules

Subject: Doubt about monster surge when playing with board (or big box) expansions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joan Altamirano
Chile
Santiago
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello again, the newbie question again.

I've been playing several solo games and some with friends already with the Dunwich expansion, yesterday the mail brought me Innsmouth so I have to play it right, and that is one of the things I forgot to take note when a Monster surge happens and you have gates opened on the expansion boards.

So you have gates opened on the expansions that counts towards the monsters surge quantity, I got that right (do I?). So let's say that we have 3 gates on Arkham and 2 on Dunwich, 5 monster will appear. Can I "play" with "where" the monsters will appear, so some quantity of them goes to the outskirts instead of remaining on the board?

Example I have 2 gates opened on Dunwich and both have a yellow monster on them so they haven't moved from the gate. I have 3 gates opened on Arkham and 3 monsters in different streets location but the gates are "clean". Can I chose that the 5 monsters from the monster surge appears in the 3 gates location on Arkham and none on Dunwich so 2 out of 5 of them goes to the outskirts??? Or Do I have to put one monster on each gate so I will get 4 monsters on Dunwich and 6 on Arkham with none at the outskirts?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
No, you must distribute the monsters as evenly as possible across all boards. If there are more than 1 monster for each gate, the surging gate must get the first of the extra monsters and then you must evenly distribute across the rest. If there are not enough to go around another time, then you may choose which gates get the monster and which don't (with the exception of the surging gate). If any monsters are placed in Arkham and the limits are met, then you follow the instructions for that specific board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevin Beattie
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Two guidelines:

* Monsters must be distributed as evenly as possible among the gates

* You may not place more monsters on any other gate than on the gate shown on the Mythos card

This is detailed in the (revised) rules on page 9 under "Location Has Open Gate".

When a monster must be sent to the Outskirts, you still count it as placed on one of the gates in Arkham for the purposes of even distribution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Stevens
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,
Suppose that the surging gate is in Arkham. There is another gate in Dunwich. The monster limit has been reached in Arkham and so no monsters can be placed on the surging gate. Does that mean we cannot place a monster on the gate in Dunwich since the surging gate does not get a monster placed on it?
Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Slapshot12 wrote:
Hi,
Suppose that the surging gate is in Arkham. There is another gate in Dunwich. The monster limit has been reached in Arkham and so no monsters can be placed on the surging gate. Does that mean we cannot place a monster on the gate in Dunwich since the surging gate does not get a monster placed on it?
Thanks

Think of it as a two step process. First assign the monsters. So as long as monsters are assigned to the Arkham gate, then the Dunwich gate can have monsters assigned to it as well.

Then resolve what needs to happen on each board. The ones in Arkham will get processed in accordance with the outskirt rules and the ones in Dunwich get placed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
No, you must distribute the monsters as evenly as possible across all boards. If there are more than 1 monster for each gate, the surging gate must get the first of the extra monsters and then you must evenly distribute across the rest. If there are not enough to go around another time, then you may choose which gates get the monster and which don't (with the exception of the surging gate). If any monsters are placed in Arkham and the limits are met, then you follow the instructions for that specific board.

In addition to this, you should pick random monsters from the cup for each gate. You shouldn't draw 5 monsters, look at them, and then decide which gate should get which monster. Just blind draws for each gate. goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. Silberman
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
I could be reading this wrong, but it looks like the just-released FAQ (http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=3789) contradicts how a lot of us have been playing this:

Q: When happens during a monster surge when Kate
Winthrop has an explored token in the same location as a
gate other than one that has the monster surge?
A: The surge is resolved as it normally would be, except
monsters do not appear at Kate’s location. The total number
of monsters is distributed as evenly as possible among
the remaining open gates, with no gate having more monsters
placed on it than the gate where the monster surge
occurred this turn. (Note: her ability does not reduce the
number of monster tokens drawn as a result of the surge, it
simply redistributes them to other gates.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zelide wrote:
I could be reading this wrong, but it looks like the just-released FAQ (http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=3789) contradicts how a lot of us have been playing this:

Q: When happens during a monster surge when Kate
Winthrop has an explored token in the same location as a
gate other than one that has the monster surge?
A: The surge is resolved as it normally would be, except
monsters do not appear at Kate’s location. The total number
of monsters is distributed as evenly as possible among
the remaining open gates, with no gate having more monsters
placed on it than the gate where the monster surge
occurred this turn. (Note: her ability does not reduce the
number of monster tokens drawn as a result of the surge, it
simply redistributes them to other gates.)

How? That's pretty much the definition of what several people already said in this thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. Silberman
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
Kobold Curry Chef wrote:
How? That's pretty much the definition of what several people already said in this thread.

Well that's embarrassing, I completely mixed up two different, but similar threads. The one I meant to post that to was about Kate's effect on monster surges when she's parked on a different gate from the one the surge originated at. Sorry about that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You crossed the streams!!! I'm told we're not supposed to do that in this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kobold Curry Chef wrote:
You crossed the streams!!! I'm told we're not supposed to do that in this game.

That would be Very Bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.