Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nicholas Gauthier
United States
Monticello
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yesterday I was able to finally get two boxes of Samurai With No Daichi (long swords) $3.95, my first expansion type. Each box came with unit flags for both game versions (a square symbol for C & C), and 5 each of yellow and red banners so you can set them up for either side. There are five figures, two of which are cone head peasants crouching in different poses. As in the photo posted elsewhere, two of the five figures, one samurai and one peasant, go on one double sized base together (one total pair only). There is an extra one man slot on the AOT base noted as "this place for figures, which not included in the set." (Leader figure?) as well as the double base and two other single base slots.

There is an AOT unit card, but no Borg rules yet. There are also those tiny decals and a Zvesda contact card.

The copy on the assembly instructions reads:
"This historical Wargame "Samurai battles" with its rules creates the first part of the new expandable game systems based on Art of Tactic and Commands and Colors, with many different sets of infantry and cavalry. The starter set "Samurai battles" which is the basis of the game system, includes detailed rules, game boards, additional accessories, and various scenarios. You can upgrade and enlarge your army, play scenarios, and improve your tactics. The game system is constantly expanding, being supplemented by additional sets, new battle-maps and scenarios. You can find the detailed information about the Art of Tactic game system on our websites: www.art-of-tactic.com www.zvesda.org.ru

Zvesda has just released a new wave of AOT WWII units (which I don't collect). Hopefully, as shown off at Essen, our Medievals will not be far behind!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Millette
United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
God Bless the USA
mbmbmbmbmb
I am waiting to see how they roll out the C&C expansions (with C&C scenarios and instructions) before I purchase any more units. If they ever do...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, you've at least told us that they are considered 'heavy infantry' in C&C terms.

Can you compare their AoT card with the other heavy infantry we already have and see what--if anything-- is different? Maybe nothing, but I'm used to different units having some sort of difference from other units of similar class (or else there's no point other than eye candy).

thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Symons
Belgium
Glabbeek
Vlaams-Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Taeblewalker wrote:
Zvesda has just released a new wave of AOT WWII units (which I don't collect). Hopefully, as shown off at Essen, our Medievals will not be far behind!

Do you mean medieval japanese units? Or a new game system with medieval theme?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
b p
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've decided to not buy into this game at all until I see how the C&C portion is treated. So far, it doesn't look like I'll be buying anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Lloyd
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
Canadian Game Design Award: http://www.fallcon.com/design
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good News in general though.

I still have hopes this version of the system is going to fly.

Peace
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Kask

Ohio
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I spoke with Richard Borg last week. Until Zvezda writes rules for the new units for AoT, he cannot do the same for C&C. He told me he fully intends to but that the Zvezda guys are really poor communicators.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Lloyd
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kaskoid wrote:
I spoke with Richard Borg last week. Until Zvezda writes rules for the new units for AoT, he cannot do the same for C&C. He told me he fully intends to but that the Zvezda guys are really poor communicators.

That seems odd. Why would the AoT Unit rules effect the C&C Unit rules? They are different systems.

Peace

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
no flag
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sad. I think Samurai Battles is the best game of Richard Borg, the best of all the C&C games.

But its future seems dark... I wish Samurai Battles could find another publisher. It really deserves a better support. The one Days of Wonder gives to M44, or GMT to Ancients.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Kask

Ohio
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunder wrote:
kaskoid wrote:

That seems odd. Why would the AoT Unit rules effect the C&C Unit rules? They are different systems.

Peace

I got the impression that it was a contractual thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Borg
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mb
King Bing wrote:
I'm sad. I think Samurai Battles is the best game of Richard Borg, the best of all the C&C games.

But its future seems dark... I wish Samurai Battles could find another publisher. It really deserves a better support. The one Days of Wonder gives to M44, or GMT to Ancients.

Hi All
The future of Samurai Battles Commands & Colors rules is very bright.
Just working to get what works best for the two rules sets, at times, is a little challenging. It is fun to seen how the final results turn out and even for me it is sometimes a surprise

There is at least one larger expansion with a number of new troop types on the horizon (perhaps as soon as first quarter 2013). With this larger expansion, we will start to get the deployed unit count up to where I feel the Commands & Colors rules really shine.

Richard Borg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WooHoo!!!
That is great news!!!

If you can tell... ninja ninja

How many new unit types will we get in the expansion?
- Details on how they work?

Will we get additional existing units?

How many scenarios will be in the expansion?

Will there be new Dragon and/or Command Cards?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
no flag
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
richard borg wrote:
King Bing wrote:

Hi All
Just working to get what works best for the two rules sets, at times, is a little challenging. It is fun to seen how the final results turn out and even for me it is sometimes a surprise

There is at least one larger expansion with a number of new troop types on the horizon (perhaps as soon as first quarter 2013). With this larger expansion, we will start to get the deployed unit count up to where I feel the Commands & Colors rules really shine.

Richard Borg

I'm happy !

But please, please... give us many more scenarios.
Commands & Colors cannot "really shine" with only 7 scenarios.

Thanks for your great game(s) !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mal Murdock
Germany
flag msg tools
King Bing wrote:
richard borg wrote:
King Bing wrote:

Hi All

Richard Borg

I'm happy !

But please, please... give us many more scenarios.
Commands & Colors cannot "really shine" with only 7 scenarios.

Thanks for your great game(s) !

What about a scenario editor?
Vassal´s fine, but an editor like this one for M44 would be finer

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Gauthier
United States
Monticello
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
arrrh Thanks, Mr. Borg! It sounds like you are suggesting we not purchase the new types individually (if they become available that way) but get them all in the upcoming Large Expansion you note...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Gaskill
United States
Bridgeton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I ordered a set which just came (I ordered 4 but 1 Store only had 3 so
they just shipped)..

They will be a BEAR to put together with some very delicate parts.
The only difference between this Unit & the Samurai naginata infantry
as far as AoT is that they have a Attack value of 12 against Inf & 10
against Cav & a Defensive value of 1.The Samurai naginata same stats
are 8-8-2

So better in Attack weaker in defense,how this will play out in C&C
we'll have to see.

I ordered 4 but that was just a guess as to the number needed when
the C&C Scenarios are done.

OD

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
roobarb
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
I have 2 copy’s of this booster pack apart from the high quality figs what stuck me was there was no AOT point value any ideas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Jolly
United Kingdom
Bourne
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Old Dwarf wrote:
they just shipped)..

are 8-8-2

we'll have to see.

OD

William,

I have just ordered four packs of these, and have been thinking of how they might work within the rules. In line with what you have said, I shall be trying making them 5 Dice against infantry (in line with RED foot in C&C:A) and only 3 dice against cavalry, which would seem to capture their strong and weak points. Otherwise they will count as the existing Samurai. What do you think?

Cheers

Matt

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Gaskill
United States
Bridgeton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
matt.jolly wrote:
Old Dwarf wrote:
they just shipped)..

are 8-8-2

we'll have to see.

OD

William,

I have just ordered four packs of these, and have been thinking of how they might work within the rules. In line with what you have said, I shall be trying making them 5 Dice against infantry (in line with RED foot in C&C:A) and only 3 dice against cavalry, which would seem to capture their strong and weak points. Otherwise they will count as the existing Samurai. What do you think?

Cheers

Matt

Thanks for the idea Matt-I'll try it (well once I get the figs assembled)

OD

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.