aaron belmer
United States
Webster Groves
St Louis
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I dearly love this game, and have been trying to get it to the table as much as possible lately.

Being new to the game, I wanted to make sure I was up to date with all of the 'fixes' and faq.

But for some reason I remember reading or had it in my head that the most optimal 'fix' was simply letting the policemen have one additional move + seach/arrest even after I found my hideout. This is the only variant we play.

So in my last 2 games, they've found me, the last one being at my hideout (when they normally shouldn't have been able to).

So my question, have we slanted this to far in favor of the investigators? I tried looking back and finding the variant in question, and now I can't find it anywhere.

I think what we'll try going forward:

- investigators get the 'rush' movement optional rule (move 3 times and no action).
- the 'yellow zone' rule where Jack has to wait until he's out of the yellow zone before making it to hideout.

Other comments:

When playing socially with newbies, I've found myself almost rooting for them. I mean they're trying so hard, and you can see the anticipation and tension on their face, it's almost satisfying for them to find me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jbrier
United States
Aventura
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
About me: played 50+ times, mostly 2 player. As the investigators we take notes and use laminated mini maps for assistance.

The variants I use:

(a) Investigators may move an additional space in lieu of searching for clues or making an arrest.

(b) If Jack walks home on the first turn of night 4, the Investigators get to take their turn.

(c) Jack's hideout is random.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aaron belmer
United States
Webster Groves
St Louis
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
that's a good idea, I should print out some mini maps for players to use.

Wouldn't random generation possibly land on a wretched space?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zenmazster wrote:

So my question, have we slanted this to far in favor of the investigators? I tried looking back and finding the variant in question, and now I can't find it anywhere.

It sounds like you should still get a few more games under your belt until you make any decisions on game balance...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don D.
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zenmazster wrote:
So I dearly love this game, and have been trying to get it to the table as much as possible lately.

Being new to the game, I wanted to make sure I was up to date with all of the 'fixes' and faq.

But for some reason I remember reading or had it in my head that the most optimal 'fix' was simply letting the policemen have one additional move + seach/arrest even after I found my hideout. This is the only variant we play.

So in my last 2 games, they've found me, the last one being at my hideout (when they normally shouldn't have been able to).

(bold face type added)

Yes, you are going too far there. Its better to be move a third space OR arrest/search for clues not AND.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don D.
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zenmazster wrote:
that's a good idea, I should print out some mini maps for players to use.

Wouldn't random generation possibly land on a wretched space?

There's an iOS app for white chapel that does this for you if you want. Or you can use random.org- if a wretched space is generated well, just generate another number.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aaron belmer
United States
Webster Groves
St Louis
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don, thanks so much for the insight. To clarify, I didn't mean the 3 moves plus a search, just the 3rd move in lieu of a search/arrest. Sorry about that.

Yeah I agree I need many more plays. I'm just going to stick to the rules as is for now, but I like the 3rd move option for the investigators so will keep that.

thanks!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Storm
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What's the 'yellow zone' rule ??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aaron belmer
United States
Webster Groves
St Louis
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you look under variants its the one with the most thumbs. Basically jackcant escape until fifth move using yellow track to keep track of movement

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.