Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Coffee
United States
Hoover
Alabama
flag msg tools
Hi all,

Maybe something along these lines has already been put forth, but here goes.

What if, instead of immediately getting 1 resource per Settlement and 2 resources per City when collecting from the gold hex, the bordering player(s) got 2 "gold" and 4 gold, respectively?

Gold would act as a normal resource, except that its only function would be to turn into another resource (not commodity)* on a 2:1 basis. You could even convert other resources into gold (although this would probably be dumb).

At the risk of getting ahead of myself, maybe it would also make sense to be allowed to convert 3 gold into 2 resources of the same type. Or maybe 1 commodity.

The Merchant could even be allowed to land on gold hexes. Gold resources would then convert on a 1:1 basis.

The advantage of this would be that the player could decide at a later time what to use the gold for. The disadvantage would be that the gold would take up storage space prior to being used, and could potentially be stolen.

I just think this makes more sense intuitively, and may make trading etc. more interesting. It may also increase the value of the yellow cards.

I may be totally wrong. I haven't played much C&K and even less Seafarers, though have played the base game extensively. Feel free to ridicule/excoriate me as you please. Or, better yet, offer suggestions as to how to improve this idea, if possible.

*italics = C&K
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nye_Quail wrote:
Hi all,

What if, instead of immediately getting 1 resource per Settlement and 2 resources per City when collecting from the gold hex, the bordering player(s) got 2 "gold" and 4 gold, respectively?

Gold would act as a normal resource, except that its only function would be to turn into another resource (not commodity)* on a 2:1 basis. You could even convert other resources into gold (although this would probably be dumb).

At the risk of getting ahead of myself, maybe it would also make sense to be allowed to convert 3 gold into 2 resources of the same type. Or maybe 1 commodity.

The Merchant could even be allowed to land on gold hexes. Gold resources would then convert on a 1:1 basis.

The advantage of this would be that the player could decide at a later time what to use the gold for. The disadvantage would be that the gold would take up storage space prior to being used, and could potentially be stolen.

I just think this makes more sense intuitively, and may make trading etc. more interesting. It may also increase the value of the yellow cards.

I may be totally wrong. I haven't played much C&K and even less Seafarers, though have played the base game extensively. Feel free to ridicule/excoriate me as you please. Or, better yet, offer suggestions as to how to improve this idea, if possible.

*italics = C&K
I'll have to think this through more, but u did cover that gold getting robbed can be very painful to you, and doubly so since it should be very helpful for that other player.

WOrth noting is games like Settlers Of America and Settlers of Nurnburg (import only) use Gold as an additional resource. In both games, you could always do a 3:1 for any resource. Each game also uses gold to purchase different goods and services
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jörg Baumgartner
Germany
Kiel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nye_Quail wrote:
Hi all,

I don't think the doubling of income for gold hexes would be intuitive when all other hexes just produce one card per building level.

The official variants which do use gold and have gold hexes, such as Alexander from Historical Scenarios, have gold hexes produce 1 gold per settlement and 2 gold per city. The gold comes as separate pieces, just like the coins in Traders and Barbarians, SoA:TtT or Nuernberg, exempting them from the robber.

Quote:

All these scentarios above find another use for gold - a more direct way to get victory points than just as a trade joker.

For example in Cheops, you can use the port of another player if that is connected to one of your roads or ship lines (also via third party roads or ship lines) by giving that player one piece of gold per trade.

Quote:

3 gold for a commodity sounds about right, 3 gold for 2 resources of the same kind IMO doesn't.

Quote:

*italics = C&K

Such a trade would have to be limited to once or twice a turn, just like the trade goods trader in Starfarers.

Quote:

Sort of a parallel to the dice game.

You would have to produce gold resource cards for this (although when you are playing without Cities and Knights, the coin cards from C&K would do just fine).

Quote:

Looking at the various incarnations of Catan games, usually a resource will have a purpose.

The exchange value of gold is 2 gold for 1 resource in SoA:TtR, Merchants of Europe and all the Traders and Barbarians scenarios using gold, 4 gold for 1 resource in Alexander and Cheops (Historical Scenarios), Nuernberg and 3 gold for 1 resource in Struggle for Rome. Several of these limit the use of gold to once or twice per player turn.

In the card game and Rivals, gold is treated as any other resource, in the dice game, two gold will buy one resource.

In the light of the newer expansions all mandating a 2:1 exchange rate between gold and other resources, I would go for that ratio. Whether you deal out the gold as tokens or cards, I dislike the doubling of the income. Delayed choice may very well be paid for by reduced income. How frequent gold income will be still depends strongly on the numbers placed on the gold river hexes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.