Subject: Possible use of burrow tech.. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Milos Stankovic
Serbia
Belgrade
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Enemy is attacking my Zergling and Ultralisk with a single Siege Tank. He pairs his Tank with Zergling in order to kill it and then kill Ultralisk with a splash damage. Now, defensive module is useless here because it states that you can switch units between skirmishes and not within a single skirmish.

But what if I have Burrow technology..

If I use technology on my Zergling, after the attack he will be forced to retreat. Now the splash damage remains to be dealt. Can I choose my Zergling to eat this splash in order to save the Ultralisk ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MisuVir
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No. The zergling has already left the area thanks to the cloaking. The ultralisk dies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Nedeljkovic
Serbia
Paracin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As per the example in the rulebook

Example: A Terran Siege Tank is in a skirmish with an opponent’s
Hydralisk. The Terran player plays a Combat card
that matches his Siege Tank and has the splash damage
keyword. The Zerg player plays a “Burrow” Combat card,
which gives his Hydralisk cloaking. During skirmish resolution,
the Siege Tank destroys the Hydralisk, but because
the Hydralisk has cloaking, the Zerg player withdraws it to
a friendly area instead of destroying it. The Terran player’s
splash damage card is still triggered, however, and placed
faceup to be resolved at the end of the battle.

It seems that burrow triggers before splash damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milos Stankovic
Serbia
Belgrade
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ok tnx, i just wanted to be sure. Too bad because i wanted Burrow to be useful for once..
Ohh well, I guess i can always adopt a home rule..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
- -
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually you do can use your Defensive module here - rules does not say that units must be from different skirmishes, they only:
- musn't be Assist units
- must be a valid target in new skirmish(es) for enemy FLU

At least that's how I resolve that module. It makes much more sense e.g. in battles like: Valkyrie vs Guardian + Scourge. I guess they are the main reason why such module had to be implemented in expansion.

Regarding your question:

Withdraw, resulting from Cloaking, must be resolved in the same part of battle when single skirmishes are resolved. It means that you have to withdraw immediately when you check the result of current skirmish. It's the attacker who chooses which skirmish to resolve next.

Resolving Splash Damage cards can be done much later, in later stage of battle. Splash Damage may kill an unit with Cloaking it it's still in the same area.

Best use of Burrow is to save your weak units in defense. Most Zerg units do their best if used in attack. However, you should not use Burrow if you know that your enemy will use Detector often (e.g. Science Vessels, Psionic Storm etc.). Keeping in mind how hard is to keep Zerglings and Hydralisks in large numbers (they die easily), this card is much better than it seems to be. Especially on large planets, where you usually have enough space to withdraw.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MisuVir
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cyb3k wrote:
Actually you do can use your Defensive module here - rules does not say that units must be from different skirmishes, they only:
- musn't be Assist units
- must be a valid target in new skirmish(es) for enemy FLU

At least that's how I resolve that module. It makes much move sense e.g. in battles like: Valkyrie vs Guardian + Scourge. I guess they are the main reason why such module had to be implemented in expansion.

The rules state: "The player may switch any two of his units between skirmishes."

The contentious word is "between". You're not moving units between skirmishes if they're both in the same skirmish. Not sure if that's the official interpretation or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milos Stankovic
Serbia
Belgrade
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From the SCBW rulebook (pg 7):

"Defensive Module
When defending, after match-ups have been made for a skirmish, the player may switch any two of his units between skirmishes (they may be front-line or support units, but not assist units). A player may only switch a unit into the front-line of a skirmish if the opponent’s front-line unit has the ability to attack it."

"between skirmishes" states that it must be more than 1 skirmish.
So you can't switch within a single skirmish..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
- -
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
msmilos wrote:
"between skirmishes" states that it must be more than 1 skirmish.
So you can't switch within a single skirmish..

IMO it doesn't - it only means that units you choose to switch must participate in skirmishes (so they can't be taken from other areas than contested one).

But it's up to you how you'll resolve that in your games. Using it also for single skirmishes makes this module worth of its price. Otherwise attacker can use advantage of setting up skirmishes to easily "disable" that module for defender. IMO attacker shouldn't have that option - combat mechanics promotes him too much anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milos Stankovic
Serbia
Belgrade
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It makes sense that way but I don't know, it can be interpreted both ways..

I would like an official confirmation on that, but that won't be likely,I fear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calixtus Ashley Wee
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
Doesn't it seem Burrow is largely useless? This is the variant rule I came up for it:

Burrow(1g): x2 (Combat/Reinforcement 0A/5H, 0A/6H) Zergling/Hydralisk/Infested Terran/Defiler
All of your Zergling, Hydralisk, Infested Terran, and Defiler Units in this Skirmish gain Cloaking OR if used as a Reinforcement Card, these Units, if they are Defending, become Attackers instead, with the Card being placed face-up. This is undone if the Enemy has Detection in the Skirmish. If you choose to Cloak your Infested Terran, it may sacrifice itself and trigger its Ground Splash Damage, unless it is forced to Withdraw. The Attacker has priority in selecting Skirmishes, while Phases take place clockwise from the Active Player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.