Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Welcome to Zombo.com!
badge
Art of life
mbmbmbmbmb
HoMM is definitely a game that can be easily ported to the boardgame format, but I find that Runewars failed to fully capture the spirit of the original game due to its disconnected hero mechanisms.

Does this game seek to address those issues?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean D.
Canada
Langley
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No idea about M&M Heroes, but have you tried Banners of War expansion for RW?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Member of the San Francisco Game Group since 2005
badge
This is a customized Bane Tower from the game Man o' War
mb
johncraven wrote:

I'm not sure I'd put it this way, but in this game your heroes lead armies as in the video game. So, as you, I am also hoping the heroes will be nicely integrated into combat as the leaders that they are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Fernandez
Venezuela
Caracas
Miranda
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder about the translation to the Board from the videogame, since each combat could take longer for a long campaing, the difference is that the computer makes all calculations and you just point and click, i wonder about the simplfication of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mattprice wrote:
So, as you, I am also hoping the heroes will be nicely integrated into combat as the leaders that they are.

They are, they can attack like regular units (and learn magic, gain artifacts and level up), but can't die. If all other units except the hero are dead, the hero basically flees back to the city and can't move again until you buy him a new army.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Łukasz 'farmer'
Poland
Oleśnica
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To be honest, I didn't believe, that this project will end with a succces. Not well known publischer from not so famous (from making boardgames) country want to transfer legendary video game to the table...
Impossible...
But, after seeing new arts and reading the rules, I have to say, that this game will be just pure awesomness!
It seems, that it REALLY catch the feel of playing Heroes!
At this moment, it's just one big WOW for me!

PS
Sorry 4 my English.

PS2
I like RuneWars very much, but this title definately will be much more Heroes-like-game.

yours,
farm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was also looking for a game that captured the spirit of HOMM in Board game form and while looking for board games that are similar, Runewars was one of the contenders, but ultimately decided against it due to some of its mechanics.

Reading the manual of this game, I think here they've done a great job. I LOVE the combat mechanics and it has pretty much everything I wanted in such a game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim C.
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tzer wrote:
I was also looking for a game that captured the spirit of HOMM in Board game form and while looking for board games that are similar, Runewars was one of the contenders, but ultimately decided against it due to some of its mechanics.

Reading the manual of this game, I think here they've done a great job. I LOVE the combat mechanics and it has pretty much everything I wanted in such a game.

Currently Mage Knight is the closest thing to HOMM as a physical boardgame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaiwen Zhang
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Welcome to Zombo.com!
badge
Art of life
mbmbmbmbmb
Tretiak wrote:
johncraven wrote:
HoMM is definitely a game that can be easily ported to the boardgame format, but I find that Runewars failed to fully capture the spirit of the original game due to its disconnected hero mechanisms.

What issues? Runewars has nothing to do with HoMM. The heroes in Runewars are clearly agents of the factions that the players are controling besides managing a growing empire and all that comes with it. They are not the main focus of the game.

Saying that "Runewars failed to fully capture the spirit of HoMM" is like saying that Ad Astra failed to fully capture the spirit of MOO.

Well, when the game was first announced, it claimed to be a strategic game blended with rpg elements for individual heroes. After it was released, many people were disappointed that the heroes couldn't lead armies and can essentially sneak through enemy lines unharmed. I know I wasn't the only one thinking it was going to be HoMM:TBG, check the forums for evidence.

All I'm saying is that from the point of view of people who expected HoMM, I hope that MMH is closer to the original game and improves upon Runewars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean D.
Canada
Langley
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this comparison between Runewars and M&M:H is like apples and oranges. Yes, they are both Fantasy strategy wargames, but there are more differences than things they may have alike... Until I play M&M:H it is all simply speculation. I love RW for what it is, not for what I hoped it might have been. Just my 2 coppers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Swierczek
Poland
Krakow
Malopolska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As I was playing both games I can confirm that these are two different titles within their subcategory 'Fantasy strategy games'. I don't think they can be easily compared and also I consider both of them being very good games. Runewars never pretended to be HoMM type of game and therefore I was not disappointed that it wasn't capturing computer game spirit. In my opinion Heroes succeeds in this field, so those searching for the computer game feel shouldn't be disappointed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Olin
Finland
Vasa
flag msg tools
badge
Justice for the 96!
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Member of the San Francisco Game Group since 2005
badge
This is a customized Bane Tower from the game Man o' War
mb
victoryzine wrote:

This has got to be the most common image on this website.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Eckroth
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mattprice wrote:
victoryzine wrote:

And yet, I'm pretty sure every time it is posted the poster guinely means it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarrett Dunn
United States
Tulsa
OK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
johncraven wrote:
Tretiak wrote:
johncraven wrote:

What issues? Runewars has nothing to do with HoMM. The heroes in Runewars are clearly agents of the factions that the players are controling besides managing a growing empire and all that comes with it. They are not the main focus of the game.

Saying that "Runewars failed to fully capture the spirit of HoMM" is like saying that Ad Astra failed to fully capture the spirit of MOO.

Well, when the game was first announced, it claimed to be a strategic game blended with rpg elements for individual heroes. After it was released, many people were disappointed that the heroes couldn't lead armies and can essentially sneak through enemy lines unharmed. I know I wasn't the only one thinking it was going to be HoMM:TBG, check the forums for evidence.

All I'm saying is that from the point of view of people who expected HoMM, I hope that MMH is closer to the original game and improves upon Runewars.

Heroes can lead armies and even get special abilities when they are your army's general, and have been able to since Banners of War.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff C
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
The pen is mightier than a really small, blunt, and foam covered sword.
mbmbmbmbmb
Draftstyle wrote:
mattprice wrote:
victoryzine wrote:

And yet, I'm pretty sure every time it is posted the poster guinely means it.

And on top of that it makes me laugh every time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.