Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/15247/new-game-round-up-me...

Pretty exciting. I'm more interested in the civil war theme. I hope word gets out and the use of Kickstarter will increase sales.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
mbmbmbmbmb
I just wish I knew who Mercury Games was.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manchuwok
Canada
Mission
BC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UniqueRabbit wrote:

There's a bit of info about who they are in this BGG News press release. I know this because they are releasing my design Quarantine as well. They are looking to publish both eurogames and wargames.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
They're a new publisher.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Nesbitt
Canada
Ajax
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UniqueRabbit wrote:

Mercury Games, as suggested, is a new publisher, but made up of people who are experienced in the publishing industry.

The primaries are:

Richard Diosi
Canada
Newcastle
Ontario
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

and

Kevin Nesbitt
Canada
Ajax
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

You can click on my designer badge for more on my background in the industry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
. .

Apex
North Carolina
msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Valley Games eh?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Buhl
United States
Leeds
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
manchuwok wrote:
UniqueRabbit wrote:

There's a bit of info about who they are in this BGG News press release. I know this because they are releasing my design Quarantine as well. They are looking to publish both eurogames and wargames.

I'm glad you linked to that game, it looks interesting. I'm signed up for Mercury Games' newsletter, I'll be following this game too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
medlinke wrote:
Valley Games eh?

Huh. I guess my normal plan with a VG release won't work here.

1. VG picks up an old, well loved license.
2. VG takes a gigantic crap all over original's esthetics and charm.
3. The market gets flooded with the new version.
4. I scoop up an original copy on eBay for half of what they used to go for.

Sadly, #4 won't be available to counter-balance 1-3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Hope
United States
Woodside
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To be fair to Valley Games, setting aside their financial troubles and failure to deliver on some preorder bonuses for a very long time (perhaps ever), I thought both Hannibal and Titan from Valley Games were great versions of long-desired games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Nesbitt
Canada
Ajax
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I departed Valley Games in 2008 and have had no affiliation with the company since that time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Sizemore
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.NevermoreGames.com
badge
This is NOT a Chihuahua. It is a Sphynx cat. A bald, grouchy Sphynx cat who will bite you if you mistake him for a Chihuahua.
mbmbmbmbmb
stephenhope wrote:
To be fair to Valley Games, setting aside their financial troubles and failure to deliver on some preorder bonuses for a very long time (perhaps ever), I thought both Hannibal and Titan from Valley Games were great versions of long-desired games.

I agree. I believe they could do better -- they have a tremendous resource in the form of BGG forums, where they could ask questions and get input before sending their files to the printer. I wish they would have used this resource before reprinting Liberté, but at least now I can (with my colorblindness) play the game.

And there certainly wasn't much of "original aesthetics and charm" to screw up with The Republic of Rome.

Very glad that GOG is finally coming out, whoever prints it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Creve Coeur
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stephenhope wrote:

I pre-ordered Hannibal. I had a much bigger problem with communication than delays in the product, or the product's quality.

I'm sure that was a learning experience. It was for me too: if I buy VG-affiliated games, it's off a shelf, not by a pledge or a preorder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Pennington
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
If your orange juice doesn't burn on the way down, then you need more vodka!
mbmbmbmbmb
Aside from the pre-order non-sense, I agree that both Hannibal and Titan are fantastic. Hannibal is one of my favorite games in my collection. Stronghold is pretty good as well.

Not that this game has anything to do with them though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wales
Aberystwyth
Ceredigion
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UniqueRabbit wrote:

They're interviewed on the latest guns, dice and butter podcast. Quite interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Siskin
United States
Playa Del Rey
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very glad to see a path towards finally getting this game into print.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Collins
Canada
Prince Rupert
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm curious to know if Mr. Simmons will still be involved in getting the game to production, that they won't try and change his game design in some way.

Also, I don't like that box cover. Mr. Simmon's box art was much better, in keeping with the BaM and NT art.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Nesbitt
Canada
Ajax
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PeteyWA wrote:
... that they won't try and change his game design in some way.

The rules are posted publicly here on BGG.

http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/85287/the-guns-of-gettysbu...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Abdullah Ibrahim - African River
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PeteyWA wrote:
I'm curious to know if Mr. Simmons will still be involved in getting the game to production, that they won't try and change his game design in some way.

Also, I don't like that box cover. Mr. Simmon's box art was much better, in keeping with the BaM and NT art.

The new version has rounded the corners on the tokens, changing them from triangules to irregular pentagons. I don't see that as a big deal.
They've also modified Bowen's illustrations in the rulebook, putting fat yellow look-at-me arrows in place of the original cleanly drawn ones. To me, that's slightly garish and not an improvement, but some will like them. If you've seen the box art, you've seen the most egregious change.

The good news, and to me this is extremely good news, is that they haven't chosen to modify how the game plays. Hallelujah!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Nesbitt
Canada
Ajax
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Changing from the triangles to the "house" pattern has two distinct advantages.

First, avoiding the acute angle of the triangle pattern decreases the chances of paper separating from the cardboard. Angles greater than 90 degrees have an increased chance of this occurring, either at the moment of cutting, or later when a player rubs the piece on its edge. With those angles now gone, we can ensure this is not an issue.

Second, the useable area in the new shape is increased, but not at the expense of adding width to the pieces. This allows increased space for the artwork and text, which also makes the printing facility very happy because of their own printing requirements in relation to minimum bleeds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scipio O.
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
otrex wrote:
Changing from the triangles to the "house" pattern has two distinct advantages.

First, avoiding the acute angle of the triangle pattern decreases the chances of paper separating from the cardboard. Angles greater than 90 degrees have an increased chance of this occurring, either at the moment of cutting, or later when a player rubs the piece on its edge. With those angles now gone, we can ensure this is not an issue.

Second, the useable area in the new shape is increased, but not at the expense of adding width to the pieces. This allows increased space for the artwork and text, which also makes the printing facility very happy because of their own printing requirements in relation to minimum bleeds.

Thanks for the quick response, which makes sense. I don't believe there's been any similar comment on or defense of the cover art?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Sandifer
United States
Lutherville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Years back, my understanding was that a playbook and player's aid were going to be included in Guns of Gettysburg. Is that still the case?

The rules issues that people had with Napoleon's Triumph were partly based on the fact that (a) the game system was extremely novel and (b) a playbook wasn't provided.

I can see similar problems arising with Guns of Gettysburg, unfortunately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.