Ok, the rulebook states:

Quote:
A player must control at least one participating unit
to place cards in the edge battle. If the defending
player controls no defending units, the attacking player
automatically wins the edge battle (although he still has
the option to place cards into the edge battle if
he so desires).

But is not at all clear on what happens if the defending player has already played and revealed an edge stack and is winning in force icons.

Let me give you some scenarios

Scenario 1:

I defend with a single 1 HP unit. We reveal edge cards and I win in force, but opponent reveals a "Heat of Battle" fate card, resolves it during the Fate Resolution and kills my defending unit. Who wins the Edge?

Until now I've been playing it so that if you've already managed to place edge cards on the table, then they get to contribute to the defenders edge total. However reading the piece above again, it could be interpreted to mean that if at any point you don't have defenders, the attackers wins the edge automatically.

Scenario 2:

I defend again with a single 1 HP unit. We reveal edge cards and I win in force. After edge resolution the opponent plays a force choke on my unit and kills it. Who wins the edge? In this case the argument would be more in favour of the defender, since you only get to play actions after edge battle has been resolved, but still...

Needless to say that if the attacker wins edge battles in this case, it makes direct damage cards even more powerful than they already are.

What do you think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Goodridge
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Currently at 1:2 ratio, getting better every week
badge
I don't want it, I don't need it, but I can't stop myself. - Stabbing Westward
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say in either case, the defending side no longer has any defenders so the Edge doesn't matter anymore. All attackers are going to strike without interruption, and the objective is unopposed. I don't know of any cards that say "if you control the Edge".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konstantinos Thoukydidis
Luxembourg
Esch-sur-Alzette
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cardboardjunkie wrote:
I would say in either case, the defending side no longer has any defenders so the Edge doesn't matter anymore. All attackers are going to strike without interruption, and the objective is unopposed.

You forget about the edge-enabled combat icons (i.e. white ones)

Quote:
I don't know of any cards that say "if you control the Edge".

Human Replica Droid (http://www.cardgamedb.com/index.php/starwars/star-wars-card-...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Hughes
United States
West Des Moines
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The way I interpret the "No defender during an edge battle" is it is only checked at the start of the edge battle. If there is one then the edge battle proceeds as normal, even if it would be destroyed due to a Fate card later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
houjix1138 wrote:
The way I interpret the "No defender during an edge battle" is it is only checked at the start of the edge battle. If there is one then the edge battle proceeds as normal, even if it would be destroyed due to a Fate card later.

I would agree. Since the defender lets you initiate the edge battle and therefore allows you to play cards. If the defender is killed during the resolve fate cards step, the defenders fate cards were still legally played and legally count for the edge battle.

I would say anyways. The defender didn't put up much defense, but he slowed them down a little. Seems to work for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Goodridge
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DbZer0 wrote:
Cardboardjunkie wrote:
I would say in either case, the defending side no longer has any defenders so the Edge doesn't matter anymore. All attackers are going to strike without interruption, and the objective is unopposed.

You forget about the edge-enabled combat icons (i.e. white ones)

Quote:
I don't know of any cards that say "if you control the Edge".

Human Replica Droid (http://www.cardgamedb.com/index.php/starwars/star-wars-card-...)

Given your rules quote and the fact I did indeed forget about these cards, I would adjust my previous statement to say that in both cases, the attacker is unopposed but has lost the Edge battle.

I think the rules snippet means if the defense puts up no one, they are not allowed to participate in the Edge battle, although the attacker may still place cards.

And if you are correct on the timing of Event playing, then the defense would still have won in Scenario 2. Although, you could take a calculated risk and use in Deployment Phase or some prior play window.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konstantinos Thoukydidis
Luxembourg
Esch-sur-Alzette
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cardboardjunkie wrote:

And if you are correct on the timing of Event playing, then the defense would still have won in Scenario 2. Although, you could take a calculated risk and use in Deployment Phase or some prior play window.

No need, you can use it after the declare defenders phase and before the edge phase which is usually what happens as it forces you to stick to your cards which may not be what you want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Brennan
Australia
St Ives, Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DbZer0 wrote:

Scenario 1:

I defend with a single 1 HP unit. We reveal edge cards and I win in force, but opponent reveals a "Heat of Battle" fate card, resolves it during the Fate Resolution and kills my defending unit. Who wins the Edge?

The defending player wins. This rule covers the placement of cards in the edge battle only (you must have a defender to do that - and if you can't place cards, the tiebreak swings to the attacker) - the second sentence of the rule is a clarification of the first, being within the same paragraph. It does not pertain to the resolution (which doesn't care if you have defenders in play or not). Once all cards are played to the edge battle, that's done and dusted. Then it resolves. So yes, it's possible for the defending player to win an edge battle even if they have no defenders left, as per this scenario.

DbZer0 wrote:

Scenario 2:

I defend again with a single 1 HP unit. We reveal edge cards and I win in force. After edge resolution the opponent plays a force choke on my unit and kills it. Who wins the edge?

The defender wins. Same as above - the rule only pertains to placing cards in the edge, not the resolution. And once the resolution is done, it's done - there's no retroactive re-awarding of edge.

Patrick
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Goodridge
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DbZer0 wrote:
Cardboardjunkie wrote:

No need, you can use it after the declare defenders phase and before the edge phase which is usually what happens as it forces you to stick to your cards which may not be what you want.

Ok. I was just going for any action window prior to edge battle if you wanted to be unopposed and have the attacker auto-win the edge battle. If there's a window after defenders are declared that's probably the perfect time for a Force Choke.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.