Up Front» Forums » General

Subject: How important is Visual "Impact" to play enjoyment? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin Mackenzie
France
Penne
flag msg tools
I wish EVERY success to the 2013 reprint. I've hesitated to offer my own two-penny-worth to the various debates on what to have, what to ditch, etc, as I'm more than happy with my original copy. That said, I was just in the process of setting up a Desert scenario on Vassal and was struck by how vibrant and enticing the terrain cards appear. I do agree with a poster in a previous post who advocated large (full-card width) graphics. We don't want to 'read' the cards in play, we just need to 'recognise' them instantly. Good design is achievable. The Best design often needs to be copied. "If it's not broken, don't fix it"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hernan Ruiz Camauer
Argentina
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If visual impact is important to you, you might want to consider playing Up Front in Battlegrounds virtual tabletop software, rather than in Vassal.

See this forum thread for more info and additional screenshots.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roar Stensrud
Norway
Tolvsroed
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Visual impact is very important to me whan I play Up Front!

That's why I don't use "Internet Up Front" (Wargameroom). I've tried. It doesn't give me any feel of the game. It's just white numbers and letters on a black background (and I do know the rules. If in doubt I look them up).

That's why I do use VASSAL. It gives me almost all the visual impact of playing a game on my living-room table.

But people are different (thank God).

Anyway. Couldn't agree more with Masonstone. I just need to "recognise" the cards, not be able to read every detail about them on the very card. Large art and small text, please!

I prefer VASSAL as it is much closer to what I'm used to. I'll need some time to adapt to the new edition...

R.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Member of the San Francisco Game Group since 2005
badge
This is a customized Bane Tower from the game Man o' War
mb
Interesting discussion here.

As a new player, I certainly hope that art and playability get equal footing. A card that looks beautiful, but the text is too small to read will not be helpful - I will never play the game enough to memorize the text and number details. (this may be as much a factor of a lousy memory as anything, though!)

I recommend that the cards be first and foremost functional - that whatever design is chosen, they are easy to read and very clear. But functional cards don't have to be ugly. I'd be just as disappointed if the cards were very newbie-friendly, but also very ugly. The cards above are really nice looking though the font could be perhaps a bit bigger - there's no excuse these days for letting either form or function fail!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Mackenzie
France
Penne
flag msg tools
Interesting - thanks Heruka - I'll check your links out. I suppose I should be patient and wait till any new decks arrive and play with them some before deciding - yet, whether through familiarity or not, I really find the new cards too cluttered - it maybe the use of too much color. The terrain cards look good in full color, but the personnel cards, for me, don't get me excited. But then, I'm just a grumbly old git who likes his eggs boiled for exactly 4.666* minutes, and not a second longer!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Combat Commander, Up Front, Fields of Fire, Cats were once worshipped as gods and they haven't forgotten this, The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzy┼╝ Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
Speaking of visuals, the first art board of 14 Ron Volstad drawn US soldiers is done and awaiting colouring.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1325766284/up-front-the-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Visual appeal is one of the biggest reasons why I really like the uncoupled weapons. It really turned me off to just see the weapon and stats that represented the soldier in the original game. I think this game is going to look absolutely awesome!

-Ski
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave Prasse
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
DaveyJJ wrote:
Speaking of visuals, the first art board of 14 Ron Volstad drawn US soldiers is done and awaiting colouring.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1325766284/up-front-the-...

Nice !!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hernan Ruiz Camauer
Argentina
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mattprice wrote:
The cards above are really nice looking though the font could be perhaps a bit bigger

Just to be clear, the only card shown at full size in that screenshot is the tank card in the upper right. The others are at a reduced size, but are shown magnified in the upper right corner when you roll the mouse over them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.