Filip W.
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Euros are better with dice!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm wondering about tile sizes in tile based games (like Carc for example). What are the most common tile sizes used?

TIA

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
monchi
Canada
Burnaby
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think these days tiles are becoming less common. I think you are finding that the tile size is far more dependent on the game and how they are used in the game. I think that 1"-1.5" tend to be the most common sizes, but you are seeing more and more games using unique shapes or tiles rather than just cookie cutter tiles.

Why are you interested in the common size?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip W.
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm trying to figure out how to layout my tiles and I've got no idea what size to base it on. Right now they're about 3 inches by 3 inches but is this big? Small? Average? I've got no idea.

I don't play many tile games; I used to use cards for these tiles but the cards were too flimsy and kept being pushed out of alignment so I'm thinking tiles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arjen Schouten
Netherlands
Veenendaal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It also depends on the information that is represented on the individual tiles. Obviously, if there is more info (text that has to be read especially) the tile would benefit from being bigger. An other important factor (in my eyes at least) is the amount of tiles that will be played on the table. Bigger tiles need more space. So if your game is huge on tiles, you'll need a huge table to play on.

That being said, small tiles are more difficult to pick up. So if you need to interact with your tiles while they're on the table it be good not to make them too small.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
monchi
Canada
Burnaby
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you are on the right path in that you need to let the game determine the size of the tiles. It really depends on what is on the tiles and how the tiles are used. If it makes sense in the context of the game 3"x3" isn't too large.

I would let the tile size determine it's own size as you progress through the design process. I think the reason why Carc uses the size tile it does is that if you increased the size of the tile you would possibly run out of space while playing the game. if your playing area is contained then your tile sizes isn't as big of an issue considering you don't end up with a massive playing area

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip W.
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
monchichi wrote:
I think you are on the right path in that you need to let the game determine the size of the tiles. It really depends on what is on the tiles and how the tiles are used. If it makes sense in the context of the game 3"x3" isn't too large.

I would let the tile size determine it's own size as you progress through the design process. I think the reason why Carc uses the size tile it does is that if you increased the size of the tile you would possibly run out of space while playing the game. if your playing area is contained then your tile sizes isn't as big of an issue considering you don't end up with a massive playing area

My playing area is very contained - all the tiles are available in the center of the table (meaning a 1" by 1 " area) and players need only enough space to place the tiles in a row.

On the other hand the game goes in real time so legibility and the ability to grab a tile of the table is very important, thus the 3 inch tiles so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Game will determine in part the size of a tile. Battlemasters and Mice & Mystics for example have huge tiles. Deathtrap has tiny lil counter-sized tiles.

If the game uses minis or alot of counters per tile then you need a tile large enought to fit the max size of units packed onto one tile.

Lets say you have counters 1 inch to a side, and you have the potential for four counters individually on a tile. (not counting stacking allied units) Then your tile should be a minimum of 2 inches on a side, 3 optimally as its less crowded and you can still see what the tile is underneath.

Some minis games size the tiles to a little larer than a single units base when only a single unit can occupy a base. Battletech and HeroScape, etc are examples.

The other factor is gridded tiles where units are moving around the tile. Then the grid spaces need to be at least the size of the counter. and anywhere from 1 to 5+ wide to represent halls, etc. Descent, Warhammer Quest, etc.

So lots of factors come into play. Really depends alot on what you want the tile to do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
monchi
Canada
Burnaby
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
filwi wrote:
monchichi wrote:

My playing area is very contained - all the tiles are available in the center of the table (meaning a 1" by 1 " area) and players need only enough space to place the tiles in a row.

On the other hand the game goes in real time so legibility and the ability to grab a tile of the table is very important, thus the 3 inch tiles so far.

I think the most important thing to do is use a size that makes the most sense to your game and not what the "norm" is. I hate it when I play a game where they say use the half sized cards when they could have just as easily used full sized cards because the smaller cards "fit" onto the board or some silly thing like that. If your cards need to be shuffled make them full size...so in your case if 3" fells right then go with it. Let the game play dictate the size not optics or "norms"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.