Warmachine Prime Mk II» Forums » General

Subject: best book(s) for 'fluff'? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
B'Cup x
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
So I'm new to this Warmachine/Hordes hobby but it's been a long time since Ive enjoyed a miniatures game and I decided to dive back in. I picked up the Warmachine 2 player battlebox and my girlfriend picked up the Hordes equivilant (with less persuassion on my part than I would have expected).

I've already painted up 25pts of Khador (battlebox + Widowmakers)and this is the army I intend to pursue (though I am REALLY tempted to get some Trollbloods down the line). With that said I will obviously be looking to get thier book, but I'm curioius as to what the ratio is of rules to fluff. I dont really care for the former as it all appears to be on the cards but I really want to learn about the Iron Kingdoms. Is the book worth it for the background alone? how many pages approx are there in the book?

Also what other books have good history/stories of the world? I'm guessing the main rulebook has a fair bit but as I've already got the rules I would prefer to look at other books first unless the corebook has significantly more fluff than those.

Hopefully someone can shed some light on this for me as Rules/Models wise Im falling a bit in love with the game x

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"GAME OVER, MAN. GAME OVER!"
Denmark
Aarhus
Unwashed and somewhat slightly dazed...
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a LOT of fluff/background in all PP rulebooks, and the army books, as well as some short fiction works. I would heartily recommend the Khador army book, my first indepth look at the Iron Kingdoms. And you're right about the full size rulebook, it has a great overview. The new rpg would probably serve you well too, and if fiction is your thing, PP has just announced that they'll start publishing novels.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Taylor
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Iron Kingdoms Roleplaying Game core rulebook comes with about 100 pages of straight fluff before you get to the actual rules for playing the game. I really enjoyed that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Laverty
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I agree with the other posts and also say that the cards only give you stats. The faction book will also give you a page on the history of each character or unit in the game. Definitely go Khador Faction book first to get a feel for the history of your faction, breakdown of the military organization and insight into each of the characters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
navajas
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My best friend plays Khador, so I hate you both. But beside that, I've read all the fiction (can we PLEASE retire the term 'fluff' for God's sake?!) in the post MK. 2 Hordemachine product line. It took me a while to get into it after being immersed in the 40k world for 25+ years. Once I was past the culture shock I really enjoyed it.

The most tiresome / least effective of it all for me was Skorne, Menoth and unfortunately Khador. The first two mostly because if I wanted to read that shit I'd still be reading GW crap, and Khador just because the characters felt so easy. Motherland, communism, comrade, blah blah. Pretty repetitive and redundant.

HOWEVER, I really liked all the Khador material in Wrath. The Warcaster in there, uhm... Harkevich, is a great character and the story pitting him vs. Severius is probably my favorite bit of short fiction in the game.

Though I have absolutely no interest in RPGs, I'll eventually pick up the Iron Kingdoms books just for the background.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B'Cup x
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
got the rulebook about a week ago (had to delay spending on myself what with Christmas and all that) and Im really happy about all the backstory inluded in the book.

Unfortunatly it has also got me really liking Cryx so I may need to buy the battlebox for them in the near future whistle

anyhow next up Im looking to order the Butcher and Khador force book, I am definatly becoming a bit addicted x

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.