flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got one more doubt regarding the Deep One Track. The rules states:

There are two primary ways for the Deep Ones Rising
track to advance. Each time a gate is prevented from
opening, such as by an elder sign token or an investigator
ability, add one uprising token to the Deep Ones Rising
track.

And the other one is when a monster is swallowed by a vortex.

But the first rule "Each time a gate is prevented from
opening" doesn't state when a monster surge occurs, does that mean that when that happens and no gate is opened then no Uprising token is placed????
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A monster surge doesn't prevent a gate from opening. No gate was going to open on that turn, so no Deep One token is placed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doc Corvid
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry to necro the thread, but are you kidding me??? I just finished a game with Ghanatothoa as the Great Old One, who devoured all of us mercilessly after waking up thanks to a full deep ones track. I think I had what, three, four monster surges that game? And Diana Stanley was holding two elder signs.

Had I known that it would really have change the game for me. But that would have been welcome because as it was the game was pretty much impossible. I love AH but that game was a real pain.

Are you sure that's the rule?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul W
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yes. A monster surge doesn't prevent a gate from opening...it's already open. A gate is prevented from opening when there is an elder sign at the location (assuming it's not a gate burst), or Kate Withrop is there. There may be other effects the prevent gates from opening, but those are the only two the come to mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benedikt Werner
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fizzmore wrote:
Yes. A monster surge doesn't prevent a gate from opening...it's already open. A gate is prevented from opening when there is an elder sign at the location (assuming it's not a gate burst), or Kate Withrop is there. There may be other effects the prevent gates from opening, but those are the only two the come to mind.

Even if there is a Gate Burst, the elder sign still prevented a gate from opening (although being destroyed), no?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VanBradford wrote:
fizzmore wrote:

Even if there is a Gate Burst, the elder sign still prevented a gate from opening (although being destroyed), no?
No.
Innsmouth Horror rule book page 8 wrote:
Certain mythos cards have their gate location colored red. This red coloring indicates a gate burst. A gate burst works the same as a normal mythos card in all cases except when the listed gate location has an elder sign token on it. When that happens, the gate bursts open, causing the elder sign token to be removed from the board. A gate then opens at that location and a monster appears there as usual, but no doom token is added to the Ancient One’s doom track, nor does this event cause a monster surge. Additionally, whenever a gate burst is drawn, all flying monsters move, regardless of their dimensional symbol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benedikt Werner
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
VanBradford wrote:
fizzmore wrote:

No.
Innsmouth Horror rule book page 8 wrote:
Certain mythos cards have their gate location colored red. This red coloring indicates a gate burst. A gate burst works the same as a normal mythos card in all cases except when the listed gate location has an elder sign token on it. When that happens, the gate bursts open, causing the elder sign token to be removed from the board. A gate then opens at that location and a monster appears there as usual, but no doom token is added to the Ancient One’s doom track, nor does this event cause a monster surge. Additionally, whenever a gate burst is drawn, all flying monsters move, regardless of their dimensional symbol.

Oh sh... forgot that in yesterday's game. Oh well, we lost anyway. ^^ Thanks for the clarification!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.