Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Three player game (He, She, and me). I encourage my friends to play repetitions of a new game in order to solidify the learning. Played last week with this same couple and I lost while consciously allowing myself to ignore Firemen. In my teaching, I considered whether the two of them might split the battle while I could try to make up for it in other points. Instead, she piled onto all of them she could get. I tried a late move for a higher valued Fireman in order to pass his 1-pointer (giving me the neutral position) but she outbid me even though she didn't need it. Loser position for me.

Score last week (He, She, Me):
26, 21, 14

In the early stages this week she is focused on Firemen again. He has his eyes on collecting Contracts. It's not something I would have planned in advance as a strategy, but while they did that I ended up with all five of the Trader cards. Every cube I collect can be directly turned into a Coin.

So as soon as the first Ship appears I pursue it even though I have no Contract to apply it to. Upon winning, three goods cubes almost immediately become 3 Coins; I suddenly feel well equipped to start a new round.

At one point I try to imagine whether buying all those Traders could later leave me somehow shortchanged in the future, but by the middle of the game I am holding 10 Coins, 12 Coins, and more. I am absolutely certain I need to obtain the Chamber of Commerce card (1 point at game end for every Coin). when it appears. I allow myself a small fear that overbidding to pay for it will negate the benefit of holding it ... when it hasn't even appeared yet.

What have the opponents been doing? She bought the first Counting Office. I was pretty sure she would seek more (points escalate when owning multiples) but also felt that fighting to keep some from her would be a disruptive distraction regarding my own mission. He has carefully done well both in obtaining Contracts and in completing them. She has the Fireman majority, he has 2 Fireman of lesser value.

Even being already well-off with my money, I had hopes of collecting the Bank card (extra Coin ioncome each round) but it goes to her. I finally buy 2 Fireman for 7 points of coverage, so briefly I am tied for the lead before she passes me again. I don't mind as I was shared leader for the third Fire scoring, which fully recovered my previous deficit, and at this point I still retain a neutral position in advance of the final Fire.

I have no contracts, but I keep turning Ships into Coins. Oh, hey. That leads to another thought. In addition to Chamber of Commerce, I should also fight strongly for Boatsmen Church card (1 point at game end for every Ship). He recognizes how the card would be a benefit for his own circumstances, too, once the card itself appears. I know this becuase he says so out loud (I had kept quiet).

Wow. In separate rounds I successfuly gained ownership of BOTH cards - Chamber of Commerce and Boatsmen Church. I try not to exhibit visible giddiness and gloating.

The sight of his contracts already completed has given me small pause. I lack the skill to calculate fast enough to see how our scores compare overall (in part because those two end-game card scores for me are so uncertain). I simply guess informally that it could be extra protection for me to obtain at least one contract. It ought to be small, though, to make sure I can swiftly apply cubes to it. I bypass an 11-pointer that I could likely have won and take an 8-pointer instead. With only a little waiting I get Ship with exactly the 3 cubes it needs for completion. Such luck.

Strange skew at the end.
He has 21 points in contracts but nothing else, and has a 7-point Fireman deficit.
She failed to complete any contracts, got 10 points for Fireman, 1 for the Warehouse, and a full 14 points for the Counting Houses.
My five Traders are worth 5 direct points, and in addition kept me well funded for buying other cards: Port, Chamber of Commerce, and St.Michaelis for 10, 15, and 4 points respectively. Another 8 points for a contract.

Score THIS week (He, She, Me):
14, 25, 42

My 8-point, lucky-fill contract wasn't really necessary. I would still have won on zero contracts. But capturing all five of those Traders? They see the damage and they'll never let me do THAT again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathy Sheets
United States
Stuart
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Really fun session report! Thanks for sharing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Hammen
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great session report. This is exactly my plan of action when I play. Get as many Traders as possible. Even with just 4 of the 5, it can be completely brutal by the last few rounds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Lea
United Kingdom
Leeds
County: West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb

Very good report; thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.