Popular Tags: [View All]
Rodney Jacobson
United States
Norwich
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BSG Variant #57 - Midnight on the Firing Line

I'd like to run a game using my CFB+CAC variant. (OO/Gimp seems to work for me, thanks to those who have helped create the tools and community.)

d10-1 Vorpalgens
d10-2 Asahi
d10-3 Mr T 1977
d10-4 jpg87
d10-5 KraZug

Game rules

d10-1The game will be 5 players, no Cylon Leaders, Pegasus + Exodus to Kobol

d10-2 CAC+CFB:
-CAG, MkVII's, CFB, Basestar Bridge all in use.
-Swap steps 1 and 2 of "Placing Cylon Ships on the Main Game Board" on page 14 of Exodus. (So ships are drawn from the CFB before the Cylon reserves.)
-Ignore the pursuit track's single civilian placement. Use the double civilian placement as normal.
-For CAC's other than Scar: Reset the pursuit track, and Cylon activations do not place ships on the CFB or advance the pursuit track.
-Scar moves to the CFB after a jump, and stays there until the pursuit track reaches Auto Attack. (Scar is not moved during raider placement.)
-Before start, 40 Crisis cards will be removed (20 no-jump, 20 jump), then the CAC cards added.

d10-3 Loyalty Deck: For executions before sleeper 1 YANAC will be shuffled in, and a new loyalty will be dealt to humans. First execution after sleeper will be dealt the last loyalty. Humans executed after that will not receive a new loyalty, but will not be able to use their new character's OPG. If at the end of the game the final card in the loyalty deck has not been used and is a Cylon, the fleet will lose 1 of every resource.

d10-4 Political Prowess: Can not be used to pass an airlock check.

d10-5 Cain: For Blind Jump, the admiral draws and resolves the first unscouted destination. Bent on Revenge: If there is a Basestar on the main board, skip the "Jump Preparation Step" on your turn. Cain's OPG is unavailable if she joins after the start of game.

Play rules
d10-1 Posted and bolded happened. We will however try to simulate the flow of a F2F game, so simultaneous resolving of things can happen.

d10-2 Public COs are strictly forbidden, and so are “CO sent” announcements.
All COs are strictly confidential in geekmail between you and me. Bolding actions when it's not your go is also forbidden (since they're public COs by another name). In the real game, you are never publicly bound to actions as you are with COs, so they should stay private. This is to protect an unrevealed Cylon's right to lie, and to decrease the certainty of future events (and hence maintain paranoia).

d10-3 Do not quote or link to other posts that happened a page or more ago, but use your own words to describe what you think happened. Funny posts with lots of in-character images are greatly encouraged.

d10-4 For interrupt COs, I will wait till everybody who hasn't sent in a CO has played or passed, before adding in your COs. This gives you time to check in and revise your CO if needed, and allows me to pass late checkers who did not send in a CO but don't have the card, without giving away the information that they don't have the card. When I say "rest passes" or "passes by CO" I in no way confirm that anyone has or doesn't have an active CO for that situation. I may pass (and pretend you had a CO) if your intent is obvious, or wait for you even if you had a CO because the situation warrants it.

d10-5 Secrecy:
Quote:
When discussing your contribution to a skill check (before you actually you put it in), you can only say a lot / medium / a little. And medium can only be used if you're playing in more than 1 card. Nothing more. Not # of cards. The # of cards is only published when you actually play the cards in.
Skill cards with specific effects (Red Tape, Iron Will, Higher Power, etc) can be alluded to before playing skill cards. They cannot be named or be confirmed to be in the check.
Failure to adhere to secrecy rules may result in penalties.

d10-6 Keep the game moving:
Check in at least daily on weekdays, and when possible on weekends (unless giving notification ahead of time)

The fine print. Read if this is your first BSG PBF game. Skim if it isn’t.
Post typography
* Normal text for discussions, etc
* Italics for flavour text/fluff - love reading it, keeps the game fun and interesting.
* Bold for in-game moves and actions. I won't process any decisions/actions unless bolded in the thread.

Images
Avatars change, images don't. Images can be found here. Please use an image or banner for all of your posts (especially in-character).

Players
- Rules & Regulations for the PBF games apply.
- To make things easier on myself, I will refer to all players by your character name and noun.
- For game speed, CO's are a great way to keep things moving along.
- I will not wait for you to use your OncePerGame unless you say so, and if you're going to interrupt in favor of the Cylons then please leave a CO beforehand, since I’m not going to check specifically for this every time there's an attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: BSG V53 - Midnight on the Firing Line
V53 is already in use for three games: V53a, V53b, and V53c.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy G
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Mold the chaos into something beautiful
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: BSG V53 - Midnight on the Firing Line
This will be V57. We need to update the wiki.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Loke
Canada
Richmond
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
BUT MY DREAMS THEY AREN'T AS EMPTY
mbmbmbmbmb
I still don't like Political Prowess, but it's much better than as written. I would love to see it tried out here.

Although "second from the top" is a common change to Blind Jump, I'd recommend the following instead.

"Blind Jump: Blah blah civ ships. The Admiral draws the first unscouted Destination and resolves it."

Since players have no knowledge of an unscouted top Destination anyway, it will still essentially be random to them. This also works with variants in which multiple Destinations may be left on top (Racetrack's OPG, specifically).

There are also multiple versions of Treacherous Destiny. They mostly involve the following.

- Human discards of Treachery go into Destiny
- Destiny is initially built with OR without Treachery
- Humans are all dealt a Treachery (a) at the start of the game (b) at the start of the game and at Sleeper (c) they're not.

Also, to help you and future mods out, here is a guide to mixing CACs into the Crisis Pile.

Quote:
1. Set up the game normally.
2. Go to the Crisis tab.

3. At approximately row 120, you'll notice that there's a jump to row 134 or so. Highlight these rows, right-click and "Show". You should now see all 13 CACs in the game.

4. Seed these randomly into the deck (note: these are NOT randomized when the Crisis deck gets its initial reshuffle!), and you should be good to go.

Seeding the CACs:

There are many different ways to do this but here is how I would do it.

Quote:
1. Assign each of the 13 CACs a number from 4 to 133 (corresponding to the row numbers). http://www.random.org/integers/ will do it quite handily.

2. Copy the rows corresponding to the CACs and paste them far into blank space, like at row 200. Delete the original contents (not the rows themselves).

Warning! Never cut and paste. Always copy, paste, then delete. It WILL break the spreadsheet.

3. Shift blocks of the non-CAC cards down until you have an empty block at each CAC location. Copy, paste, and delete the CACs back into their slots. You are done.

OK step 3 is hard to explain so here's an example.

After the initial setup and moving the CACs away I've got

Quote:

110. Appoint Head of Security
111. Unexpected Reunion
112. Pressure the Supply Ships
113. ...
120. Missing G4 Explosives (last Crisis)
121. Blank
122. Blank
133. Blank

I want to put Thirty-Three as 111. Then, I would copy everything from 111 to the end of the list (which should be row 120 for the first one), and paste them into 112-121, giving me

Quote:

111. Unexpected Reunion
112. Unexpected Reunion
113. Pressure the Supply Ships
120. (Second last Crisis)
121. Missing G4 Explosives (last Crisis)
122. Blank
133. Blank

Then, delete the contents of 111 (but not the row!) and copy-and-paste the Thirty-Three row into 111, overwriting the first Unexpected Reunion.
Quote:

111. Thirty-Three
112. Unexpected Reunion
113. Pressure the Supply Ships
120. (Second last Crisis)
121. Missing G4 Explosives (last Crisis)
122. Blank
133. Blank

Keep doing this and eventually Missing G4 Explosives would be in row 133, and you are done.

Warnings:

1. Makes sure they are ALWAYS rows 4-133! If they are not, something has gone wrong, and therefore things will go wrong!
2. When burying a Crisis, it treats row 120 as the "Bottom". So you'll have to do another copy-paste shift to put it at the real bottom.
3. Again: NEVER cut, ALWAYS copy!

It seems like a lot but it's really quite easy once you figure out how the spreadsheet works and I'd be happy to do it for you if you like.

Anyway, good luck! Feel free to contact me if things go wrong!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlo Gozzi
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
The truth is still out there...
badge
Ïa! Ïa! Cthulhu fthagn! Ph'nglui mglw'nfah Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fthagn!
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember that we briefly talked about it as it's a similar variant (Alekto's) that i was originally introduced to PBF with Pascal

I'd be glad to join and Pascal & Korvin should do it as well!!

This variant was made for us to test whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney Jacobson
United States
Norwich
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome, Carlo.

Thanks Schmloof and all for your notes. I've updated the first post - starting to get it into shape.
Yes, Political Prowess will still be a strong card, but at least with the executions removed its effects are less permanent. I like the first unscouted destination for blind jump - I might like to bury any scouted destinations and then play the top card, but the wording gets more complex.

I suspect this variant will be challenging, but not as hard on the humans as Alekto's Hunt was. It shouldn't bring quite so many extra Cylons into play. The pursuit track likely won't jump frequently (because a CAC will come first) but there should be more motivation for the humans to fight than in non CFB games. I suspect civilians will need to be managed more than normal here.
Also remember that the Basestar Bridge can still be used to advance the pursuit track.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Korvin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't want to miss the chance to play again with Carlo and Pascal. So I would really like to join, Rodney.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlo Gozzi
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No choice Pascal here... we're waiting!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Simpson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll play however i might not be able to log in twice a day as i can only really use the site in the evening.

I'd tbh like to see some rule changes that are pro human to balance out changes that are massively anti human

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney Jacobson
United States
Norwich
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very good. Pascal is in as well, so one spot left.

Maybe we should leave out the treacherous destiny this time, to keep things from being too hard on the humans.

We'll also leave out divided loyalties.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Korvin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the question Ionian Nebula or Kobol still up to discussion? I like the allies in Ionian Nebula, but I REALLY hate that a player can be removed from the whole game just because of some bad luck with the trauma token. Is there a chance that we use one the options I saw somewhere here like getting executed instead of removed from the game or something else like this? Otherwise I would vote for Kobol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlo Gozzi
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be up for either... but gut feeling tells me that Ionian might be too much for this already hard set up for humans. Still have the 3 cylon wins on Alkto's setting in mind here

We should give the last spot to an original V9 member just to make it "in true family" here meeple

Or at least someone from V23 or V37...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd join in if you are still looking for the final player. Played in V37 and subbed in on V23.
My thoughts on Alekto's Hunt was that the problem is that CACs always bring in two basestars. This seems more balanced to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney Jacobson
United States
Norwich
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome, Simon. I guess this becomes a rematch of V37...

It sounds like we should head to Kobol. It's probably a good idea to not get overly complex for my first time running a game. (When I first played IN my thoughts were the same as Korvin's, but I've grown to like it a lot as long as all players understand how much they need to manage their trauma and the dangers of crossroads trauma.)

So, we'll go 5-players, no cylon leaders to Kobol. I've updated the first post. (Changed us to Kobol, removed treacherous destiny, and added notes about building the crisis deck.)

I figure we'll stick with V37's decision to leave Tory unchanged.

Let me know if there's anything else you'd like changed - if not, I'll roll turn order tomorrow morning (eastern US).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pascal Gollin
Germany
flag msg tools
I'm good with anything, Kobol or Ionian Nebula.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlo Gozzi
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Picking order with the "joining order as above" is ok whistle

So i have first pick right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney Jacobson
United States
Norwich
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vorpalgens 1d100 = (22) = 22
Asahi 1d100 = (55) = 55
inkwizita 1d100 = (7) = 7
jpg87 1d100 = (51) = 51
KraZug 1d100 = (13) = 13

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 226575. Opti77
  • 1d100 =
  • (22) =
  • Vorpalgens
  • Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:37 pm
  • [+]
  • 226576. Opti77
  • 1d100 =
  • (55) =
  • Asahi
  • [+]
  • 226578. Opti77
  • 1d100 =
  • (7) =
  • inkwizita
  • [+]
  • 226579. Opti77
  • 1d100 =
  • (51) =
  • jpg87
  • Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:38 pm
  • [+]
  • 226580. Opti77
  • 1d100 =
  • (13) =
  • KraZug
  • Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:38 pm
Carlo Gozzi
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok well Korvin is the original mod for that variant type... it's logical then for him to get first pick

At least, i'm not at my usual last picking position!!

Have a nice game guys meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would prefer some kind of nerf to Tory personally.
Have fun everyone!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlo Gozzi
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bah we just agree not to pick her then...

Not a problem for me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Korvin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tory is pretty powerful, but no comparison with Cally. Could we do there something against her totally game changing OPG? Is someone considering to take her anyway?

I'm pretty flexible what to play. Anyone any preferences whom he wants to take?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
V37 had Cally picked to deal with the fact that Tory was already on board.
I have no character preferences (well, except that I don't like the overpowered ones).

Are all characters but Cain as written?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney Jacobson
United States
Norwich
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Only Cain is modified at this point. I'm open to other character mods if there's a specific suggestion that people are okay with - otherwise we can just go with them as written, and perhaps you'll want to keep Cally in the brig if she's not trusted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Korvin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cally's OPG is really strong as a cylon, but it's a game changer if she is human, since than no cylon can allow himself to make a soft reveal or try to grap one of the titles, since he knows that there is a gun waiting for him against which he can't do anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Korvin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps changing it that Cally is moved to the brig after using her OPG? It's still really strong, but at least she can't use it without any restriction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [30] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.