Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jakub Kurczyna
United Kingdom
Doncaster
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been looking for some train games for some time now. First Train to Nurnberg caught my eye, as well as TTR Nordic Countries, so basically anything goes . My main conditions are:
- be at least decent with 2 players (solo games are at an advantage)
- medium to heavy weight
- pick up and deliver/resources welcome

I know that not all train games have trains in them, that's why it's a thread about "train" games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawcomic
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
The stuff that dreams are made of...
mbmbmbmbmb
Railways of the World.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
United Kingdom
Colchester
Essex
flag msg tools
Helllow Bayyybee
mbmbmbmbmb
I would have a look through the various 18xx train games as there are an assortment, with various tweaks and changes to have one that may be to your liking.

As an alternative I will throw in Auf Achse, the revised version, road trains instead of rail trains whistle, but with the pick up and deliver mechanism.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Lantz
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ticket to Ride is not a pick-up-and-deliver game, it is actually very differennt from those games. TrR is about set collection, and route building. It is also a totally excellent game. TtR Nordic or the base game with the Switzerland map is often recommended (the Swiss map can be found in Ticket to Ride Map Collection: Volume 2 – India & Switzerland.

Steam has pick up and deliver, and has the added advantage of coming with two sets of rules, so you can choose the complexity level of the game. There are also a number of 2-player expansion maps out there. Haven´t tried those, but there are certainly many players out there that like them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Toy
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Railways of the World. The Mexico map that it comes with is good for 2 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Kurczyna
United Kingdom
Doncaster
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bolger wrote:
Ticket to Ride is not a pick-up-and-deliver game, it is actually very differennt from those games. TrR is about set collection, and route building. It is also a totally excellent game. TtR Nordic or the base game with the Switzerland map is often recommended (the Swiss map can be found in Ticket to Ride Map Collection: Volume 2 – India & Switzerland.

Steam has pick up and deliver, and has the added advantage of coming with two sets of rules, so you can choose the complexity level of the game. There are also a number of 2-player expansion maps out there. Haven´t tried those, but there are certainly many players out there that like them.

Well, I brought in the TTR just to show that I'm not looking for "complex only" games.
Steam - I've had it in my sights for a while, and I'm coming close to buying it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven McBride
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I LOVE Ticket to Ride: Nordic Countries! Such an awesome game. Though I couldn't see myself only owning it without any other TTR games. Everyone wants to play when its game time so the limit of 3 players wont cut it. Which is why i also own TTR: Europe. It plays well with 2 but 4 or even 5 is its sweet spot, IMHO.

Railways of the World looks amazing and, after a ton of research, will definitely be my next purchase. Just waiting for that next paycheck...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
12th BGG CCE open!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Roads & Boats
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll suggest the "crayon rails" series from Mayfair.

My three favorites in that series:

Empire Builder
Eurorails
India Rails

These all play well with 2 players and work well solitaire as well (you try to hit the winning condition using the fewest possible turns.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Johnson
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Sounds like Railways of the World or possibly Steam. Age of Steam is very good but also very unforgiving - I would try one of the others first. First Train to Nuremberg is good but I would start with Railways of the World.

I would stay away from 18xx games also until you get experience under your belt with other train games. 18xx games can be VERY long (depending on the game) and are quite difficult for some people to grasp. Roads and Boats is also VERY long and I'm not sure if I would try that to begin with.

It is difficult to find good 2 player train games but I guess I would concur with the Railways of the World with the Mexico map. Just make sure the back of the box states that it comes with the Mexico operation cards. There was an earlier version that did not include the cards for Mexico.

Just to let you know my experience - I have played tons of train games (18xx, Railways of the World, Age of Steam, First Train to Nuremberg) and own all those listed except 18xx. I find 18xx games good, but they are more stock oriented than pickup and delivery in my opinion. That is not to say anything negative. Eventually try out an 18xx game and you may like them. There are some people that play nothing but 18xx - I am not one of them though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim thorson
United States
Chaska
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think first train to Nuremberg is good. I haven't played any other recommendations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
12th BGG CCE open!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Team D20 wrote:
indigopotter wrote:
That is, if you want to spend at least $150 on one game.

Splotters are expensive but worth it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louis Brenton
United States
Brighton
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Railways of the World. Base game comes with an excellent 2-3 player map, & an excellent 4-6 player map. Several great expansions are also available. It's in my personal top 3 games of all time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep an eye on Kings of Air and Steam, which will be out in February. I played it at BGGcon, and it was awesome (2-player). It may replace both Railways and Steam for me....(we don't play enough train games to have more than 1-2 of these type of games in my collection)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
BEAVERTON
Oregon
flag msg tools
Paris Connection - It's a very simple, short game, but it has pretty deep, psychological strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
mb
Brass with the 2p variant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Van Horn
United States
Othello
Washington
flag msg tools
I admit it, I killed her, I killed Yvette. I hated her so much
badge
Flames...flames on the side of my face...breathing...breathle...heaving breathes
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric Brosius wrote:
I'll suggest the "crayon rails" series from Mayfair.

My three favorites in that series:

Empire Builder
Eurorails
India Rails

These all play well with 2 players and work well solitaire as well (you try to hit the winning condition using the fewest possible turns.)

+1 for crayon rails. Empire Builder is a great game...with 2 players the map is a little open, but that is ok as it also keeps the game from running long.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Kurczyna
United Kingdom
Doncaster
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, so for now my short list looks like that
- RotW or Steam for that "classic" train game feel
- Eurorails or Empire Builder for something lighter

I can't make up my mind about Brass. Some say that Age of Industry is just a more streamlined and refined version of Brass, others that AoI is just a trainwreck of a game, compared to Brass.
18xx could be good games for me, despite the fact that trains is only the theme. Are there any PnP 18XX's that play well with two? I've downloaded 18AL, but it's three player game, and I could have some problems getting two more people to play that heavy game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
gaseki wrote:
18xx could be good games for me, despite the fact that trains is only the theme. Are there any PnP 18XX's that play well with two? I've downloaded 18AL, but it's three player game, and I could have some problems getting two more people to play that heavy game.

Jakub, I'm an 18xx fan, but if you're mostly going to play with 2, I don't think it's the ideal series. There are some 18xx games that work with 2, but it's a stretch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris in Kansai
Japan
Otsu
Shiga
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gaseki wrote:

I know that not all train games have trains in them, that's why it's a thread about "train" games.

Power Grid
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Kurczyna
United Kingdom
Doncaster
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric Brosius wrote:
here are some 18xx games that work with 2, but it's a stretch.

Well then, that's one to scratch off from my list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Boos
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While much more abstract feeling, we've been enjoying Trans Europa.

If you want something really detailed; I like Stephenson's Rocket.

I haven't played that many train games; First Train to Nuremburg is on my list though (bought, but unplayed).

Paul

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Boos
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mfaulk80 wrote:
Keep an eye on Kings of Air and Steam, which will be out in February. I played it at BGGcon, and it was awesome (2-player). It may replace both Railways and Steam for me....(we don't play enough train games to have more than 1-2 of these type of games in my collection)

I'm also looking forward to Kings of Air and Steam, I backed it on KickStarter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
You don't need any more.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lawcomic wrote:
Railways of the World.

Easily my favorite train game (though Chicago Express might come close).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brandon neadles
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Railways of the World, imo, is the first train game you should own if ttr is too light.

There are many good train games out there. But I consider railways of the world a mandatory game you will always come back to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.