Cards Against Humanity» Forums » Variants

Subject: Variant for two players? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike C
United States
California
flag msg tools
My wife and I love CAH -- however, some of our more "wholesome" friends don't find it amusing. Has anyone come up with rules for a two-player variant? We've tried coming up with our own methods but nothing seems to quite work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
NegativoInfinito Hex
Portugal
Tomar
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi
I usualy play with my girlfriend and the third player is a bottle of licor in the table, the problem is that, 2 or 3 times we've played, the bottle won.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Defazio
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Theres 2 ways to do it

1) You both play a card and both judge to see which is the best

2) When playing a card play 2 cards. Then draw 2 cards from the white deck and shuffle it. If their card is selected they get the point, otherwise if the deck wins you score a point. I'd recommend getting rid of any play 2/3 cards while playing like this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Blantoff
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Play Double Rando rules.

Rando Cardrisian brings his friend John Sylhufflester Ramdo and you must play against the two of them, going back and forth, trying to find which of the three cards belongs to your partner in card-crimes.

For more challenge, play Triple Rando rules let Cardnold Randonator play, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Wojciechowski
United States
Aurora
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Off the top of my head, I created this 2-player variant:

Players take turns.
The "judging" player reads a card, as usual.
The "responding" player presents 4 possible "answers", secretly assigning 1,2,4, and 7 points to each card.
The "judge" selects the card he or she likes best and the "responder" receives the number of points he or she assigned to that card, and draws 4 replacement cards.
The players reverse rolls.
The game plays for an agreed number of rounds with the high score winning.

What do you think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasia G
msg tools
This ^^ is a great idea! After trying it, we found using a small white board helped in keeping track of rankings.

We have a few ideas for variations, like ranking our two best responses at 7, and the two worst at 4, (or 5 points vs. 2 points, etc.) as this levels the playing field for competitive pairs who "get" each other's humor.

On the other hand, your suggested method allows the "responder" to burn at least one card per round, throwing in an answer that's not likely to win at the 1-point level.

Where play becomes difficult is on a "pick 2" black card. With a cache of 10 white cards, drawing four pairs of answers isn't practical, so we just skipped those. I guess you could just offer two pairs, or have that responder draw extra white cards, or some other solution. This might end up favouring one of the players, though.

Another idea we had was to give both players a chance to play on each black card, alternating who went first each round. This keeps you from speeding through your deck of black cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
danwojciechowski wrote:
Off the top of my head, I created this 2-player variant:

Players take turns.
The "judging" player reads a card, as usual.
The "responding" player presents 4 possible "answers", secretly assigning 1,2,4, and 7 points to each card.
The "judge" selects the card he or she likes best and the "responder" receives the number of points he or she assigned to that card, and draws 4 replacement cards.
The players reverse rolls.
The game plays for an agreed number of rounds with the high score winning.

What do you think?

Playing off of this idea, a responder could have 8 tokens in total (1, 1, 1, 2, 2, 4, 5, 7 maybe...). In the first round, the responder would choose 4 from the total pool to assign secretly. After the card is selected, the responder takes the corresponding selected token, and sets the other 3 into a discard pile without revealing any of the tokens. This would leave four "unspent" tokens. The players would switch roles, and play the next round to completion. Then when the original responder came up again, he/she would only have the four leftover tokens to choose from. Play would continue the same in this round, only all of the tokens could be revealed at the end of the round, and scores could be given. All 8 tokens would then be returned to the player.

This would give a little more mystery to the cards, as well as some more thinking about assigning tokens.

I could think of some other interesting variants where the judge gets some small points as well, but it would be a bit more of a 'season to taste' feel.

I have a fridge full of beer. Seems like a good night to try this out... Need to prep while I'm sober though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.