Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul McKenzie
United States
Ashburn
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the game, but wanted to get some variant suggestions that perhaps increase the feeling of an AI (a la Gears of War) or is simply more challenging, but that uses everything that came with any of the three games in the series (no new cards to print, etc. I'm lazy) but that might change the rhythm of the game. Please, if you can, give me any variants you use that don't require anything else except what is in the game(s) (or something easy to get, like additional or different dice).

Thanks in advance to a great community.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since luck of card draw (Gears of War) is probably comparable to luck of a die roll, how about whenever a Monster has more than 1 Hero as a valid target for its tactic, roll a die to decide who the Monster attacks instead of leaving it to the active player.

Just so happens the D20 can easily randomize between 2-5 Heroes (for 3 Heroes, just reroll 19-20).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis Sutherland
United States
Spring
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
civet5285 wrote:
I love the game, but wanted to get some variant suggestions that perhaps increase the feeling of an AI (a la Gears of War) or is simply more challenging, but that uses everything that came with any of the three games in the series (no new cards to print, etc. I'm lazy) but that might change the rhythm of the game. Please, if you can, give me any variants you use that don't require anything else except what is in the game(s) (or something easy to get, like additional or different dice).

Thanks in advance to a great community.

As far as 'simply more challenging' just take away a healing surge or 2.

Maybe instead of placing monsters where you want, place them in random squares adjacent to the Hero they are attacking, in addition to what Chromatic suggested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arto Hietanen
Finland
Vantaa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Two easy changes are to use monster tokens whenever you place a new tile due to exploration, encounter or a sentry. This change is pretty neutral on terms of overall difficulty, but it does slightly favour heroes with area of effect attacks. The other one is to decrease the amount of treasure using treasure tokens instead of treasure cards. This might take some work, as if you use tokens in Ravenloft with its treasures, the heroes are probably going to be decimated. I have mixed all three games' treasures and divided them to major (1000 gp+) and minor (all the rest) treasure stacks. Treasure token "treasure" gets you a major treasure and tokens worth 200-500 gp may be exchanged, when received, to a minor treasure card. So in campaign play you have to decide at the instant you get a 300 gp token, do you want the money (to buy items between adventures) or do you pick, for instance, a potentially useless blessing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stick up man wrote:
Maybe instead of placing monsters where you want, place them in random squares adjacent to the Hero they are attacking, in addition to what Chromatic suggested.

I had been thinking about how to provide an "AI" for this and here are is an idea I came up with:
1-5: place Monster on the tile with a black triangle if there is a choice
6-10: place Monster on the tile with a white triangle if there is a choice
11-15: place Monster on the tile with an unexplored edge if there is a choice
16-20: place Monster on the tile with the least Heroes if there is a choice

If you have all the box sets or 3 different colored D20s, just assign the dice to Attack Roll / Target Hero / Placement. Target Hero randomization goes in alphabetical Name order so no need to assign every turn. Then just roll all 3 dice together and presto!.. awesome AI!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.