• [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a naturalist. That is, I don't clip my counters, and I don't spray my counters.

Hell, it's rare enough the counters get to come off the sprue!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
leroy43 wrote:
I'm a naturalist. That is, I don't clip my counters, and I don't spray my counters.

Hell, it's rare enough the counters get to come off the sprue!

Ditto! defacing or tampering with counters is sacrilege!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ICONOCLAST

Galt's Gultch
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you don;t want your counters sprayed, get your cat fixed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
Be sure to taste your words, before you spit them out.
badge
If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride.
mbmbmbmbmb
Never!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
Be sure to taste your words, before you spit them out.
badge
If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride.
mbmbmbmbmb
kiraly wrote:
usrlocal wrote:

Did they dip their fingers in turpentine before handling these or something? Seems a bit excessive for normal wear and tear.

I'm thinking Pete's learning how to "weather" his chits for realism sake... laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Humphries
Philippines
Unspecified
Metro Manila
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have many games from the 70s and 80s whose previous owners sprayed the counters. I wish they hadn't, sprayed counters don't age well in the long term.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
Well, I do for my bigger more expensive games. I friend said just tonight, that he would just buy another copy if he was going to "wear" out the counters.

Good point. It does however also take some shine off, it also has a nice tactile feel that I like.
The finish also buys you those extra precious seconds if God forbid you should have a spill on the counters.

It does not take long, and its one minor additional step in an already ridiculous ritual.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Marl
United States
Bethel Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it might be a good idea but I'm afraid to do it. I dullcote miniatures after they are painted and it's not always easy to get an even coat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mb
usrlocal wrote:

I think there is something up with the counters to this game. I have seen friends' copies and they have shown more counter wear than in any other game I have come across. Not as bad as Pete's mind you; I suspect he likes to eat poutine with his fingers while playing or perhaps suck on them for luck.

Then again my friends' copies were very well played. It just seemed like an odd coincidence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Obsidian Man
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe you should tell the others why you are gonna spray your counters laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

As I understand it, all countersheets need to be "sprayed" in order to set the ink. They are done so during manufacture with a "varnish". That is why countersheets are glossy to one degree or another. I'm not sure of the matte countersheets of the 70s and 80s. So, as I see it, they don't ned to be varnished yet again.

However, if you are doing a print-and-play on your home inkjet printer, it is useful to coat the printed sheets with one of the products mentioned in the poll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mb
usrlocal wrote:
Not my copy - just something I pulled off the The Napoleonic Wars gallery. laugh

Now I want to eat poutine. Curse middle age!!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Les Haskell
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The varnish that is applied to the counter sheets is like a clear (matte or gloss) ink that dries to a harder finish and protects the printing from wear. It takes longer to dry than ink but it dries to a hard finish. Sometimes when you open a new game and there is a strong chemical smell that you think is the ink, that is actually the varnish. Spraying a varnished sheet could possibly be detrimental as the spray may have a chemical effect on the varnish that undermines its integrity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Herron
United States
Johnson City
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Never play block wargames with a dentist, they have those little mirrors to peek behind the block.
mbmbmbmbmb
The next get rich idea? Plastic sleaves for counters? The last campaign game I played of Silent War my Japanese cup draw counters were worn with just that play. It would be nice to figure out how to protect counters like that better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Collins
Canada
Prince Rupert
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I did brush my Rommel in the Desert blocks with GW 'Ardcoat after I stickered them. Same with Hammer of the Scots, War of 1812 and Sekigehara.

Sometimes the glue on the stickers isn't very adhesive. I also noticed that the stickers were showing some fading, even after only a few plays.

I don't play the games so much that it's a problem, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Willcockson
United States
Woodstock
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sherron wrote:
The last campaign game I played of Silent War my Japanese cup draw counters were worn with just that play. It would be nice to figure out how to protect counters like that better.

One of the many reasons I dislike chit draws in games. Probably not practical for Silent War, but I'm thinking of replacing the chit draws in my GBACW games by making up cards for them.

As for spraying counters I think I have finally convinced myself that it probably isn't a good idea. In case of doubt just don't do anything to my game components that cant be reversed is my philosophy (which is why I am not a counter clipper), well other than taking off the shrink wrap and separating out the counters. However I am still thinking about spraying some of my block games. The reason is that I'm concerned that some of the less robustly printed stickers may get damaged over time as the blocks jangle around when moving the box or dumping them out etc. I think my War of 1812 blocks suffered from this even though I didn't play the game all that much. But possibly best to leave them alone as well.

My number one way of protecting my counters is to grip them lightly by the edges and these days I'm beginning to use tweezers a lot more although I swore I would never do this. However the wear on my ASL counters has convinced me otherwise. And as was noted before, any game that I know is going to get a lot of use I am probably buying a backup game for. Just comforting to know that I have one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DANIEL JABLONSKI
United States
INTERLOCHEN
Michigan
flag msg tools
Hello, gamers, this is my first post on the Geek. What I have sometimes done to avoid wearout on counters is to substitute a playing card deck for the counters. If there are specifics assigned to a counter they can be listed on a chart. If you eliminate the facecards, you have a handy deck to substitute for dice, in the event you want to quell noise in an otherwise dead silent house (don't wake the baby). Shuffling several used decks of cards this way gives a random factor that mimics rolling dice, whatever their facecount.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john f stup
United States
damascus
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
is there a spray with a matte finish? i preferred the old SPI counters over the shiny counters of some other companies because of the matte finish which the SPI counters had.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
leave my damn counters alone! And get off my lawn!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
I sprayed some Kingmaker counters once with Coke. Don't recommend it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
I sprayed some Kingmaker counters once with Coke. Don't recommend it.

there good with french onion dip though whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.